Unapologetic Romance Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Vanilla Nominations > March 2017

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 1887 comments Mod
I'm just going to set this here.... ;)

Rush Me (New York Leopards, #1) by Allison Parr

message 2: by Chelsea (last edited Feb 03, 2017 11:59AM) (new)

Chelsea (chelseanotchels) | 229 comments Oh my gooooosh there are two I want to nom. UGH THIS IS SO DIFFICULT. Okay I'm going to do Starfall because it comes out this month and so would be good for March. It could fit the Young Adult or Sci-Fi categories for the challenge as well.

Starfall (Starflight #2) by Melissa Landers

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 1887 comments Mod
Hi Chelsea! STARFALL looks interesting! Yesss, to space opera.

It says it's book #2 in a series, though. Did you want to nominate the first book in the series, STARFLIGHT? Or is it a standalone?

message 4: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseanotchels) | 229 comments They're connected but the feel I got from Starflight is like they're like many HR series and while they have crossover, they don't have to be read as a series.

Ahh, ok! Just checking.

Heather *Undercover Summer Goth* (heather_crews) | 656 comments I've been wanting to read this for quite some time!

Lips Like Ice by Peggy Barnett

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 352 comments Throwing in Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3) by Lisa Kleypas because someone has to.

Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "I've been wanting to read this for quite some time!

Lips Like Ice by Peggy Barnett"

This sounds like it could be fascinating, but at 220 pages I don't think it can be long enough to really explore the themes very deeply. I am definitely adding this one to my TBR.

Heather *Undercover Summer Goth* (heather_crews) | 656 comments You're right, it's not long, but I'm hoping it will pack a punch!

message 9: by sraxe (last edited Feb 04, 2017 02:31PM) (new)

sraxe | 544 comments Oooh Nenia, if Lisa Kleypas's book wins (which isn't unlikely considering she's such a huge name), that means you gotta get through the second book! (Or will you just end up skipping it??)

Also, just a little note on brand new releases: How soon will the poll close and the result revealed (before the reading date)? Because Kleypas is such a big and recognizable name, it's not unlikely that hers will be chosen. And just like any highly anticipated release, people who want to borrow it from a library will have to put a hold in ahead of time. (Even though the previous book has been out for several months and my library has 30-something copies in the Overdrive system, all copies are currently checked out.) Not everyone can or wants to purchase a copy, so we should just keep this in mind for them.

Heather *Undercover Summer Goth* (heather_crews) | 656 comments Ouch, it looks like the Kindle version of that is $6.99!

sraxe wrote: "Oooh Nenia, if Lisa Kleypas's book wins (which isn't unlikely considering she's such a huge name), that means you gotta get through the second book! (Or will you just end up skipping it??)

Also, j..."

No, it's like Chelsea said, they can all be read as standalones. I actually just recommended that title to my library, so hopefully they will purchase it.....

I don't know if I want to read book 2 now. Winterbourne annoyed me.

message 12: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseanotchels) | 229 comments The Kleypas was the other one I was torn between, but I figured someone else would nom it so I threw out the sci-fi one instead!

message 13: by Rosey (new)

Rosey Waters (roseywaters) | 10 comments Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "I don't know if I want to read book 2 now. Winterbourne annoyed me. "

I'd skip it. Read Chelsea's review of it if you feel the need to catch up on what happened, but if you were already annoyed by Winterbourne, you are not going to like his book (plus Helen is duller than bricks, so it's not even interesting). Now if only I could have followed my own advice...

message 14: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 544 comments Rosey wrote: "I'd skip it. Read Chelsea's review of it if you feel the need to catch up on what h..."

I liked Winterborne's book more than I did the first, but omg you are so right about Helen. She was so boring! (view spoiler)

Yes, her newer heroines (so far) don't really hold up to the strong personalities of her earlier books. I'm hoping that will change!

message 16: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 544 comments Nenia wrote: "Yes, her newer heroines (so far) don't really hold up to the strong personalities of her earlier books. I'm hoping that will change!"

Yup, pretty much. I'm hoping for a change too, but I wonder if it's something I should expected in the next book or hold off until later. Her next book is, after all, featuring one of the twins, and I found them to be waaay worse in the second book.

Not the twins! Fmlllllll.

message 18: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseanotchels) | 229 comments Heyyy I think that means they have a lot of room for development. Bright sides, ladies, bright sides!

message 19: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 544 comments Nenia wrote: "Not the twins! Fmlllllll."

HAHA YOU'RE WELCOME NENIA. I shall bask in this distress of yours!

Chelsea wrote: "Heyyy I think that means they have a lot of room for development. Bright sides, ladies, bright sides!"

You're right! But I wonder if it'll be addressed? (Their naivete. I'm thinking it'll come into play considering the synopsis and teaser for that book.) But it just seemed waaay too OTT in their the previous books.

message 20: by Al George (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 113 comments OK folks, I know you are all about SciFi with a little turn to Lisa Kleypas for the next month, BUT Piper Huguley's The Preacher's Promise is on sale for .99 and the prequel to said book is FREE! The Lawyer's Luck to be more specific.

The price is right, and it fits a bunch of the categories for those of you doing the 2017 challenge and it's PIPER HUGHLEY. =) So that's my nom for March.

I could sweeten the deal by saying something like "Let's make group reads great again", but then again, they've been just fine haven't they?

message 21: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 544 comments Ally wrote: "OK folks, I know you are all about SciFi with a little turn to Lisa Kleypas for the next month, BUT Piper Huguley's The Preacher's Promise is on sale for .99 and th..."

HEY, we totally could! As it turns out, Nenia and I just both bought it, too! I posted about it in the Kindle Deals section. I was having a hard time finding an inspy that appealed to me, but I think this one fits the category!

Yes, that's a great nomination. :) And even if it doesn't win, I'd be down to do a BR of it anyway with the two of you. I've committed to a BR with Sarah (of Enslaved!) for the first week of March, but after that I'm totally free. :)

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 724 comments Nenia wrote: "I've committed to a BR with Sarah (of Enslaved!) for the first week of March, but after that I'm totally free. :)"

And there's no getting out of it, either. GR has finally got its reread function working and I'm not letting go of my Virginia Henley buddy reading buddy for anything.

Looooool! Don't worry, I promise not to renege.

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 724 comments Nenia wrote: "Looooool! Don't worry, I promise not to renege."

I trust you. I was just making sure you realise that there's no escaping my (or Henley's) clutches. *cue serial kill-ahh buddy reader music*

O_______________O

Sarah, just because the title of the book is ENSLAVED, that doesn't mean you have to set out to capture the people you're reading it with. XD

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 724 comments Nenia wrote: "O_______________O

Sarah, just because the title of the book is ENSLAVED, that doesn't mean you have to set out to capture the people you're reading it with. XD"

It doesn't?!? But I've already built the dungeon! Now what am I going to do?

AirBnb it?

Sarah (needs a break from reviewing) (sarahjf1984) | 724 comments Nenia wrote: "AirBnb it?"

Genius!! Surely there's someone out there whose dream holiday accommodation is a hastily built dungeon in a Melbourne backyard.

message 30: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 853 comments Sarah wrote: "Nenia wrote: "AirBnb it?"

Genius!! Surely there's someone out there whose dream holiday accommodation is a hastily built dungeon in a Melbourne backyard."

There probably is...

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 352 comments I know I am the one who nominated it. But I tried to read Devil in Spring already and DNF'ed it.... Now I feel bad for bringing it up. Oh well...

Heather *Undercover Summer Goth* (heather_crews) | 656 comments A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "I know I am the one who nominated it. But I tried to read Devil in Spring already and DNF'ed it.... Now I feel bad for bringing it up. Oh well..."

I forgot I nominated Lips Like Ice and read that. Oops, lol.

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 352 comments Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "I know I am the one who nominated it. But I tried to read Devil in Spring already and DNF'ed it.... Now I feel bad for bringing it up. Oh well..."

I forgot I nominated L..."

I read that one too.. And Nenia's...

message 34: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere I nominate The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Heather *Undercover Summer Goth* (heather_crews) | 656 comments A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "I read that one too.. And Nenia's..."

And I see you gave them all two stars! We should get better at nominating, lol.

message 36: by sraxe (new)

sraxe | 544 comments I'd like to nominate Act Like It by Lucy Parker! I had a bunch of friends read it and end up loving it.

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 352 comments Just thought I would mention The Hating Game looks to have the same potential problem of availability sraxe brought up for Devil in Spring. I just checked on the library website and I see 52 people currently on hold. So unless they add more copies or all 52 read as fast as I do, I will have to buy it, or I won't be reading it until ~Mid-April.

message 38: by Al George (new)

Al George  (georgieme) | 113 comments sraxe wrote: "I'd like to nominate Act Like It by Lucy Parker! I had a bunch of friends read it and end up loving it."

That book. It's everything. I'm reading her second one right now.

message 39: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelseanotchels) | 229 comments Devil in Spring just came through for me from the library. o.O I'm shocked, as there were like 12 people on the list ahead of me. They must have bought a bunch of copies of it!

message 40: by George (new)

George | 6 comments I have Devil in Spring on hold, so far there are only 5 people ahead of me so hopefully I will have it soon.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.