Paranormal TV discussion

Dramas (K-Dramas and such.) > Goblin: The Great and Lonely God

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 256 comments I loved this for many reasons lets discuss.

Shera (Book Whispers) (sherabookwhispers) | 665 comments Mod
I'm still struggling through it. I think it's pretty to watch, but the story is boring for the most part and has some serious plot holes.

message 3: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 256 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "I'm still struggling through it. I think it's pretty to watch, but the story is boring for the most part and has some serious plot holes."

The Directing is great and the mythology of the drama is also great I took notes on the first episode and was noticing a lot parallels between certain biblical stories and the mythology of how the Goblin came to be. I was a little iffy on the storyline and get uncomfortable when she keeps calling him ajushii like please call him Oppa or call him by his name in a polite manner but it sounds perverted to me and just reminds me of the crazy age gab when she only addresses him as ajushii. Also, once it clicked to me who the Grim reaper was in his past life I wanted to see if they would add some twist ( which they didn't). Is it the same director and writer as Descendants of the Sun or just the same Director?

The writer is the same one for Descendants of the Sun, I think I know who the grim reaper is as well. But I've found I have to watch it slowly or I get burned out.

I agree the mythology is great. I get why they went that way because more than just being a goblin he is a god.

I like that she keeps the age gap reminder there. It's true.

The instalove and lack of development is the clinker for me. Plus, other aspects of the story are really slow. I feel like so much is loss in the characters being gloomy and the pretty pictures.

message 5: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 256 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "The writer is the same one for Descendants of the Sun, I think I know who the grim reaper is as well. But I've found I have to watch it slowly or I get burned out.

I agree the mythology is great...."

I'm watching the second to last episode. I really dislike the ending of almost every Kdrama I've seen and this one is no exception. So many things don't make sense.

Bummer. I keep hearing that from many fans.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 256 comments Shera (Book Whispers) wrote: "Bummer. I keep hearing that from many fans."

I'm 33 mins into the last episode. I had put off finishing it but My Shy Boss is off this week for Lunar New Year and Lotbs is finished. so I needed to fill the gab

Ha-ha. Well at least you get to rap it up!

Wait, hold the phone! DF just emailed me that episode 17 is out. I thought it was always 16. I know there were a lot of complaints about the end, but would they extend it? I thought it was pre-shot.

message 10: by Tya (new)

Tya | 23 comments I watched the first episode of this and the age gap between the two gave me the wiggins so I didn't continue. Disappointing because I heard that the bromance between reaper and goblin was amazing. Sometimes large age gaps don't bother me at all, other times they gross me out. It all depends on the maturity level of the girl, and the weight/charisma/gravitas/what-have-you of the actress. Something about the actress and the Goblin didn't quite sit right with me.

Guess the age doesn't bother me because I never mind age gaps, and I read a lot of fantasy books. One of the characters is usually decade older.

The bromance is one of the best things about it.

message 12: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 256 comments Tya wrote: "I watched the first episode of this and the age gap between the two gave me the wiggins so I didn't continue. Disappointing because I heard that the bromance between reaper and goblin was amazing. ..."

yea, I felt like they should have had a more big brother/ uncle/ father figure thing going on. I couldn't understand how someone as old as him could find someone not only as young as her but immature to be appealing in a romantic way. and every time she called him ajusshi I cringed. It seems that once they decided to have a romantic relationship she should call him oppa . I also didn't find her as a grown up believable and she was also a bit boring. I don't think i've finished the final episode.

message 13: by Tya (new)

Tya | 23 comments Thanks Chakara--I won't be watching it, then. I read a lot of fantasy/sci-fi as well, Shera, and age gaps don't bother me as much in book format as they do in tv/movie media. I think because in books you are privy to the characters thoughts as well as their actions so even if they are super immature you're told why and I think knowing the why helps. And it comes back to what I said earlier about presence of the actor--in my head when I'm reading the character always *feels* old enough/equal/on par with the other character, no matter how extreme the age gap. When you're watching something and the actress doesn't have the maturity or whatever to make the character *feel* mature no matter how brattish she's acting--then I give up.

I was watching A Gentleman's Dignity (LOVED IT) and the latter half of the show is eaten by the "romance" between Yoon and Im Meari. (view spoiler)

I didn't make it far with Goblin. I remember watching the first episode and it ends with her cheerfully announcing that she's his bride. Gong Yoo is 37 and Kim Go-Eun is 25. I remember watching that scene and thinking that he looked every inch of his 37 and that she looked every inch of the 18 year old she was playing and felt much younger. When the previews played and they were setting it up as a romance, I had a feeling it wasn't my cup'o'tea. Oh well. And I like Noona romances. But I don't think I've ever seen one where one party of the romance was so immature. I've rambled long enough!

Good points Tya, it does help a lot when you can get inside the characters heads. Though dramas tend to make the female leads feel (if they aren't already) super young and immature.