Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > missing cover for Temple...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 6 comments This entry is missing its cover: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8...

Here's the image: http://www.museumofplay.org/online-co...

Thanks!

message 2: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3502 comments While that is not an acceptable source for cover images, I did find a photo on Amazon. It's rather poor quality, but its usage doesn't violate any copyright laws so it does have that going for it. :-)

As I explained in the other thread, if you have access to the book and can provide a higher quality scan or photo that you took yourself, we can use that.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 6 comments Dobby0390 wrote: "While that is not an acceptable source for cover images, I did find a photo on Amazon. It's rather poor quality, but its usage doesn't violate any copyright laws so it does have that going for it. ..."

Then it probably shouldn't say in the guidelines to this topic, "Please provide a link to the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site..."

But thank you for your efforts.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41427 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "Then it probably shouldn't say in the guidelines to this topic, "Please provide a link to the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site...""

There is more detail provided than that.

message 5: by Jason (last edited Feb 03, 2017 07:53AM) (new)

Jason Koivu | 6 comments rivka wrote: "Jason wrote: "Then it probably shouldn't say in the guidelines to this topic, "Please provide a link to the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site...""

There is more detail provided than that."

Yes, but when you see guidelines that state "a NON-BOOKSELLER site" and then you are later directed to an accepted list that includes Amazon, AbeBooks, Book Depository, and Audible, doesn't that seem contradictory?

If I'm the only one who has made this mistake, then fine, soldier on! But honestly, this experience has killed my desire to help better Goodreads in this regard.

message 6: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3502 comments Jason wrote: "Yes, but when you see guidelines that state "a NON-BOOKSELLER site" and then you are later directed to an accepted list that includes Amazon, AbeBooks, Book Depository, and Audible, doesn't that seem contradictory? ..."

To clarify, this is the guideline posted as Msg 1 in this topic:
"Please provide a link to the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site, such as a publisher site, an author site, etc. If linking to a site such as Imgur, Dropbox, etc. please state the original source of the image. No bookseller links can be used as sources for covers or other book data, with the exception of Amazon and its subsidiaries.

For more details, see https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4..."
Perhaps you missed the last sentence in the first paragraph, which might have contributed to your confusion.

There are a lot of policies we as volunteer librarians must follow, but they are put in place to help protect the integrity of the site—and therefore its usefulness to both readers and authors. It is easy to get confused by it all, and the system is not perfect by any means. We're all learning as we go. I do hope you reconsider making contributions when you can, because each contribution does help make the site better and more useful.

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu | 6 comments Consider rewording the guidelines for clarity, removing even the hint of contradiction. Also, instead of "and its subsidiaries," I'd suggest simply listing the subsidiaries. Not everyone knows who they are and the applicable list is not too extensive to include.

As a volunteer reviewer, I occasionally get a "great review!" pat on the back from site users. Perhaps you volunteer librarians don't receive regular thanks. I'm sorry for that, so just know that I feel you all are doing a fantastic job. Thank you.

message 8: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 3502 comments Aww, thank you, Jason. That's very kind.

You make some good points; you might consider posting your suggestions in the Feedback Group, which is where site functionality issues are discussed. Or you could contact Goodreads Support directly with your suggestions.