Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Milk and Honey - Rupi Kaur - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

This non-traditional book of poetry is divided up into subjects called The Hurting, The Breaking, The Loving, The Healing. In some cases I didn't mind the simplicity of the words, as I knew Ms. Kaur was trying to write with a depth of meaning. Sometimes a few words or sentences can convey meaning more eloquently than pages and pages of excessive wordiness.

Perhaps some readers will relate to most of the poems but for various reasons, I only related to a few. Maybe some were a bit too graphic and sexualized for my taste in poetry. There probably are words of wisdom that would have resonated with me more during college or shortly thereafter. I don't read a lot of poetry but usually prefer books about the environment or nature. In a way, I suppose Ms. Kaur's poetry falls under the realm of human nature though.

Poems I bookmarked:

i don’t know why i split myself open for others knowing sewing myself up hurts this much afterward

the thing about writing is i can’t tell if it’s healing or destroying me

you must enter a relationship with yourself before anyone else

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2711 comments Her poetry seems to get very mixed reviews. Thanks for bringing her to my attention.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Jgrace wrote: "Her poetry seems to get very mixed reviews. Thanks for bringing her to my attention."

You're welcome. :D

message 4: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I've been on the fence about reading this because I'm not a very good poetry reader. I don't understand it most of the time lol. But I've flipped through it a few times and a lot of the poems actually really touched me and made me ~feel something, so idk maybe I'll just pick it up and read it through at a bookstore someday.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Flo wrote: "I've been on the fence about reading this because I'm not a very good poetry reader. I don't understand it most of the time lol. But I've flipped through it a few times and a lot of the poems actua..."

It is a quick read and the meanings behind the words aren't difficult to figure out. Definitely worth checking out if your library has it available.