is230-809-2017 discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
The Book thief

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments I think that each of the people in Liesels life and her self represent some of the stages of grief. I don't have all 6 stages yet but i do have a few. The reason to why i think this is because all of the characters have such different personalities, and also liesel keeps seeing dreams of her dead brother and her mother who left her. so I'm going to stop going to stop bushing around the beating and tell you my theory. First off i think that Liesel is representing denial. The reason why i think this is, she often dreams about lost family member and also is naive in a way, to everything that us happening around her , like the Nazi marches and all the genocide and racism that's happening and doesn't accept what she hears when she over heard her foster parents saying that something happened to liesel's mother . Next, i think that Rosa also known as "mama", is anger. This is obvious since, she is never satisfied, she always curses her foster kid Liesel and curses at her husband. And i think that Rudy represents bargaining and denial in a way. this is because even though he knows that he might get killed for it he still runs out side in night so he can be like his idle the winner run the Olympic running. Also he resists Nazi's although his father said that he will get killed for it and he knows that he will get killed for it. And finally i think that Hans(foster father) is acceptance. the reason to why i think this is, since he is always so calm and lets everything go. when ever Rosa is screaming at him he just laughs it off, he aways comes to liesels defense when ever she is in trouble, and he treats everyone with love and care.The Book ThiefThe Book Thief

message 2: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments I think that the people in liesel's life have impacted her in many ways. Hans her foster farther has been there for liesel since the beginning. When Rosa beats up on her verbally Hans is always there to make her feel better. Not only does he support her but he also is teaching her how to read, something she has never been able to do. Hans is easily one of the most important people in her life.
Rudy has also impacted her. Rudy was her first friend when she moved to himmel street. He was the first person to be relatively kind to her. Without Rudy liesel would have been more of a social outcast and would have been lonely. Rudy introduced her to the town and withpout him she would have beenlost and alone. Rudy and Hans are the most important people in her life so far.

message 3: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments I think The Book Thief mainly focuses on characters, like Liesel, who are teaching themselves to love in a world of hate. Even though I have just read the beginning so far, I feel as if Liesel is a heart-filled character who tries her best, even though she may lose her temper once in a blue moon, to get along with others and look at the bright side. For example, she didn't know how to read whatsoever, but she practiced with Hans, her papa that she learned to love and someone who is not a very good reader himself, and made sure that she understood every letter she possibly could. No matter how much her peers, Sister Maria, or her foster mother underestimated her, she taught herself the beauty of reading. She learned to fall in love with the art of reading so much that she gets excited to steal yet another book.
Besides Liesel learning to love Hans, her foster mother and reading, there is also another loving character in the book that an audience might look past. That character being Death. I feel as if Death may be the most loving character in the book. Yes, she is Death and takes the dead's souls, but she has nothing to do with why they died and cannot control who dies when. It's important to realize that she doesn't cause people to die, but is "a result" She exists because people die, to help their souls separate from their body and transition to the afterlife. Death has real feelings, almost to the point where she is human, but in this book Death is more human than any of the characters running around. She is always around humans who cannot see her or converse with her, which must not be so great considering the fact that she just has to watch the ugliness of the world while not being able to take action. She regrets this as she witnesses the deaths of many innocent people who did not deserve what they got. Although Death is not really a human being.

**I'm not sure if Death is a female or a male, so I wrote Death as a "she"**

message 4: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments In 1940's Germany the Nazi Party has essentially taken over life itself. They threatened people to join there party and they released false information about other groups such as Jews, Africans, Gypsies, Homosexuals and people with disabilities (who were not considered part of the "Perfect German Race". Rudy's Father said he would do anything to protect his family, even if it meant joining the Nazi Party. This means that originally he was against the Nazi Party and that the party threatened the majority of Germany to join them or be punished. In the same section Rudy's Father says that he feels relief when Jewish stores go out of business because Nazi propaganda said that Jewish store owner and just Jews in general would steal businesses from average citizens. I would like to pause a second and say that this very similar to what we saw this election. Our President Donald Trump during the election because he was very anti-immigration because they were stealing our jobs even though there was no proof of this. This is similar to 1940's Germany because the Jews nor any other group the Germans were targeting were stealing jobs from the Germans. The propaganda was literally an excuse to target those groups. Also, most people were in favor of the Nazi Party. In the text it says, "Most people would give unflinching support for the Nazi Party." It seems so because as you enter Frau Diller's shop you have to say "Heil Hitler" or you wont be served. All in all, the NaziParty has totalarian control over 1940's German

message 5: by Mona (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:29PM) (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments Based on what I have read so far, I have been noticing a pattern where words seem to be the most impactful and hold such power that they in a way "compel" people to commit acts of cruelty. This is first shown when Liseal stole her first book and gradually learned the true meaning of words and how significant they can be. I noticed that when the author wrote the book, and mentioned Liseal's improving ability when it comes to reading, he was subtly trying to demonstrate that words brang Liesel closer to the understanding that Hitler's propaganda is the root of his power. I also think that the reason she keeps trying to become a better reader is that she thinks these words may be the reason why her mother, father, and brother are dead. I'm not completely sure if this is necessarily true but a couple hints in the story every here made me realize that this may be what is truly going on, considering how the Holocaust actually went.
Basically what I'm trying to show is that Liseal is just a young girl who is eventually starting to understand the power of words and how it has the ability of defying others through words of compassion, love, and, unfortunately whether we like it or not, hate.

message 6: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments Hans Huberman is the most important person liesel's life. He is the person who cares about her the most. His kindness is what one liesel's trust in the first place. When she first arrived on himmerman street he was the first person to be kind to her. Throughout the years their bond has grown stronger and stronger and now liesel is seeing things as he saw them.
In the book we read all that took place on Hitler's birthday and it is revealed that Hans Huberman and Rosa believe that Hitler had something to do with the disappearance of liesel's mother. It is reiterated that Hans Huberman does not approve of Hitler's methods. After liesel finds out about what might have happened to her mother she says loudly that she HATES Hitler just like Hans. However when Liesel said this Hans had slapped her not because he was mad but because he was worried. He is fearful for liesels life and he does not want her to get hurt. He has a deep love for her as if she were his biological daughter.

message 7: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments Liesels stealing of the book possibly resembles the way that Death (the narrator in this story) takes peoples souls. Death actually said that it liked Liesel because she was very similar to it. I pondered this for a while and I asked myself, whats happens so often in the book that death does it so often. My answer for Death was obvious, stealing peoples souls because it was described with great detail during the first chapter. Liesel was harder. I immediately thought of the words Saukerl and Saumensch because they are said so often in the book. Almost fast as the rate of people dying during World War 2. Then I thought about the storyline, Liesel meets with Rudy very often, but how would that work since death doesn't have to do with Rudy. Then I started thinking about the The Book Thief herself. I finally figured it out. The book was being about Liesel being a book thief. The first time she stole a book, "The Grave Digger's Handbook" her brother had died, therefore immediately linked with death. She is described stealing three books and 1 major person has died already, Liesels brother. SPOILER ALERT: She will go on to steal nine books and 3 important people will have died Liesel's brother and two others, Rudy and the boxing Jew. All in all, Liesels book stealing is connected to death.

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments First off i want to start this with IM NOT LATE ITS ON TIME. now that that's out of the way i would like to resound to what Milo said. these seems like a very plausible theory, however there are some things that i don't understand. First of all, Liesel found the gravediggers hand book after her brothers death, not before, so why would death be there to watch people mourn her brother. However i don't disagree with your theory, but i would like to revise it. Instead of the books correlating with people dying, i just think that death is fascinated by how someone is naive speak to so, about the world around them, connecting back to what Mona said is class, that death is the most human character in the story. What I think the books represent, is rather humanity and life opposed to peoples death. It is true that books correlate to peoples death, but that doesn't mean it caused it. the reason why i think the books represent humanity and life, is because ever one is like a "zombie" or a "slave to the system", and worries about the one big thing going on, instead of the many small things that make you who you are. For example, in the book, Rudy's father submits to the Nazi party and constantly thinks about if he and his family are going to make it. Also, Rosa, Liesels foster mother, always wants money, and materialistic things, and always wants more. Although these things are important to care about. over caring about them will turn you into a scared lamb, like rudy's father or some crazy old hag, like Rosa. However, Rudy, Hans(liesels foster dad), and liesel, try to have fun in such a horrible place, call the world. And thats why death is so fascinated about them and always watches them, and see's them grow as a human, every book, or every run in the middle of night, or every bed time story.

message 9: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments The novel also displays the varying degrees of how genuine and sympathetic people can get and how they can become cruel in a split second, from the slight to the most extreme examples. Out of the few examples we see that show kindness in this book, one of them includes Hans inviting Liesel into his life and showing her what to do to survive in a world like theirs. To illustrate, when she demonstrated her hate for Hitler in the street, even though he was strict when he slapped her, I feel like it was more of an act out of his heart. When you read between the lines, you realize he was trying to protect her. It's subtle things like this that show there is somewhat of a glimpse of hope in the world.
From this, I realized that every character in the book people have two sides, where one may be prettier to look at and more comfortable for some people. For example, the Hubermans seem to be "law-abiding citizens" to their friends and neighbors, but when I look into it, I feel as if they are one of those people that have more to them than meets the eye. This is just an inference and I am not sure if this is correct, but I feel like the Hubermans are harboring some sort of secret that can be of danger to all. Going back to my example from before, this is shown when Hans instructs Liesel about her "Hitler hate" sort of behavior that she displays in public and slaps her, while explaining that she can feel as she likes in the house, but in public she must behave in a certain way. This makes me think that maybe when the author was writing this part he was alluding to the real world by showing that just like every coin has 2 sides, every person has 2 faces, and as long as they are two faced, they might as well make one of them pretty.

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments In "book thief" The protagonist Liesel loses her brother in a train ride to their new foster home. In the moments before her brother had died, she dreamed of Hitler speaking very fast, almost demonic, and not stopping to answer questions. After this she see's her died brother then her mother pulls her away from the scene. But what is her brother didnt die? what if that dream... wasn't a dream? What if someone else dies instead, like Liesel died? This doesn't seem so apparent in the beginning, but as the story continue the line of whether it is real or not starts to blur.

This starts to develop in the beginning, when she finds the grave diggers handbook while being over watched by death herself. Why would death be watching her, and strangely found a book related to death while she was being watched by death. Then she is pulled away, forever, to a distant land, to never see what she once knew ever again. And she lands in Himmel Street. Which means heaven street in German. After this she lives a pretty decent life, with a best friend, high blood pressure foster mom and a super nice foster dad. But then it starts going down hill. Hitler is elected to power and then things turn a bit hellish. For example, she trys to steal an apple with her best friend and some other kids, and on of the kids get shot by the farmer in the process. This might represent a punishment for a sin. Then there is the slap by her foster father when she insults Hitler. This also shows a punishment for a sin. And finally was the huge hill of books that were burnt. In this scene lots of books magazines and news papers were burnt because they spoke bad and against Hitler. And liesel steals one of these books and holds under her jacket and it burns her chest. I think that this represents the guilt after you did some thing very bad for your own joy, and that she is going to get punished sooner on the book.

message 11: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments Since I have read the book theif before I am going towrite abot soething later in the book. This is because I didntvget much material to work with on Wednesday and Friday being that on Wednesday I only read 10 pages while the rest of my group caught up to me and on Friday the class took the Mastery Check on I-Ready.

My theory: Was the bombing on Himmel Street foreshoadowed. On page 497 Death states that it was raining on Himmel Street before the world ended for Liesel. This can be inferred in multiple ways which makes this a tad confusing. The word raining could be taken literally which sets a really clody mood for the story. However, raining can also be taken to mean bombing. However, the author most likely meant the less literal version of raining since he specified on Himmel Street. Not anywhere else. Just on Himmel Street. Now since rain clouds are high in the air they could not rain on a specific area such as Himmel Street. However people can bomb a specific area like Himmel Street. It also said that the world ended for Liesel because many main characters died in the bombing on Himeel Street. Many whom Liesel had grown fond of like Rudy,, Hans Huberman and Rosa Huberman. So the world pretty much did end for Liesel, losing two sets of parents and the only guy she ever loved.

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments Same as milo, i only read 12 pages so this response won't be as theory filled and good as my other ones, nevertheless i still have to do it so without do a further here is my response.
The book thief does a great job on highlighting the human nature of being 2-faced and doing what ever we can to survive. This can be seen through out the book in several important characters. The first instance and one of the most obvious one is Rudy's father. This is because even though he has jewish customers and are friends with some jewish people he still joins the nazi party to keep him and his family safe from danger. the second instance where this is shown in with Rosa(mama). Although this is pretty minor it still shows the human nature. this is when mama and liesel are cleaning other peoples laundry. She acts nice for when she picks up the laundry and drops it off but at home, she forces liesel to clean it and she curses her customers for having so much cloths to be cleaned. And the third and most important instance is with Hans(papa). This is because he loves every one and he has lots of jewish people that he paints for, and even saved a jewish persons life before, he is still trying to become a member of the nazi party behind the scenes, to save his family.

message 13: by Mona (last edited Feb 14, 2017 02:33PM) (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments After being almost 1/3 through the book, every now and then I notice subtle symbolism that could mean more than meets the eye. For instance, even though Liesel's foster mother treats Hans accordion as just some silly toy, I feel like Hans' accordion is a symbol of his soul, a soul that if full of hope and comfort. Han's accordion also plays as a distraction to Liesel, and somewhat of a reminder of his presence. It's a distraction to Liesel because of the way she feels once she hears it. It is as if when Hans plays the music to Liesel she is drawn to it perhaps because it had a hint of darkness that made her curious and desiring more. I say this because of how the author described the accordion in the beginning of the story. It is just like most humans, they are seen as average or quiet loners, with no meaning, but when you look deeper, you realize that they can make someone feel a way that you have never felt before and say things that will alter your point of view on the world completely.

message 14: by Isabelle (last edited Feb 14, 2017 03:29PM) (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments The characters in this book are living through a time with the nazis, Hitler and war. The things they have seen and heard must be unimaginable. Through all these terrible things they need a way to cope. It is the only safe haven they have. When she is reading she is in her safe haven she shuts the rest of the world out to try to mentally survive amongst the unimaginable.
Liesel's coping is made up of reading and stealing. Her world seems so chaotic and cruel so reading with her dad is what calms her from al the chaos. When she steals she does it so she can distract herself and stealing makes her feel better. However when she is reading she has a goal she has something to achieve. She does all she can to cope with loss. It might be a battle to try to live in the norm when the rest of the world around you is fighting, man against man.

message 15: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments Max represents the hopelessness for many persecuted people in Nazi Germany. 11 million innocent and persecuted people died during World War 2 because they weren't part of the ideal Nazi race that Germany had made up. When Max came to Hans Hubermann's house e was really grateful and tried to do everything to help including sleeping on the hard floor in the basement so not to disturb Liesel. Normally, you would think that a person who has been chased out of their home and have been homeless for quite a while would be starved at their first real meal however this was not the case for Max Vanderburg. He ate half a bowl and then promptly vomited. This was because he wasn't used to eating a much as even half a bowl. Imagine stuffing yourself at a buffet. Max had the same feeling after half of a bowl. This shows how the minorities in Germany were starving on the streets.

message 16: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments Being that I was introduced to Max, a Jewish fighter hiding in the Hubermann's basement, I noticed a couple ideas at first, such as the idea that he is a symbol or representation of getting rid of Hitler. I notice that because he is a fist fighter, at first he may be portrayed as a hardened man, but he is also a loving person, more than majority of the other characters in the book. But I think that he is so kind because of his courageous spirit. This spirit causes events that resembled World War 2 because of the fact that he is hiding, holding on so strong to survival, and a fist fighter is like he is punching Hitler right in the face. This means that because of this sort of behavior overall that conflicts will improve if you look at the situation from the right angle.

message 17: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments I think max as a character is courageous. He throughout the plot line is showed as someone who is beyond brave. He is not fearful of anything. However out of fear is the reason that he hid in the Hubermann's basement.
Even though he was a Jewish living in the times where Jews were hated he hasn't given up. However in protecting Max the Hubermanns where in danger. But it just goes to show how Hans Hubermann's character is so strong and kind hearted.

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments The book "book thief" expresses the over all theme of you should always repay your debts. This can be seen through many major and minor characters throughout the book.
The first instance that this theme could be seen is with hand or aka papa. This is when in world war 1 a Jewish soldier and close friend of his saved his life. Then fast forward a few years later hitler is taking over and all non Jewish people are ordered to join the nazi party and report all Jewish people that they find. How ever hand instead of reporting he is hiding the Jewish person that he found. In his basement since he thought it was repaying his debt.

message 19: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments In what i have read so far a new character has been introduced. Max is a jewish boy who has been hiding from the nazis for years. Max has a brave personality. As a little kid Max loved to fight even as he is grown up he still can fight.
At first Liesel was shy in front of Max. Currently Max and Liesel have a strong bond. On liesel's birthday Max felt horribly for not having anything to give to her. So Max spent time and effort to make a short book about liesel and himself. Now they have a bond that won't be broken anytime soon.

message 20: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments Max being a bird in his book represents how Jews and another 5 million were "caged" at the time. At his first meal at the Hubermann's house he threw up and it wasnt because he hated the meal. He was so stuffed that he threw up even though the Hubermann's had so little to offer. It shows that people hiding from persecution were like in a cage with inly limited space to move without getting caught and limited food to eat. Also, at the beginning of his trip to the Hubermanns he said it was hard for him to move which either suggested muscle fatigue or lack of food which i suggested was similar to being in a cage earlier. Finally, he is treated like a pet in real life and at the Hubermanns house

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments Wow Isabelle and milo I wonder who from the group said that yesterday in class, sounds awefull like my words...
In the book "book thief" and in part 5 death talks about a gamble with a seven sided die, however no where in this chapter where she mentions this is there a game or any form of gambleing. So I think that the seven sided die represents the randomness of life and how dangerous and heavy life can be. One instance is with, max. Death brings up the seven sided die right after she mentioned max, which most likely means that max is going through a gamble on being a Jewish person and hiding in the house of people that he barely knows and who are trying to join the nazi party. This shows the representation because max is taking a gamble with all odds stacked against him to save his life, like a die, if your life depended on getting one certain number in a seven sided die, the all odds are against you. And the other meaning of the die that won't odds against you, which is random bad events, can be seen with liesel. This so because liesel faced an unfortunate random event which was her mother and her losing thier laundry job. In the book she goes to the mayors house to drop of washed cloths then she is greeted by the mayors wife in the front of the house with a letter and a book for liesel to keep. When liesel opened the letter she found out that is was about how they don't need liesel and her foster mothers service any more. This is one random events that even affects people in real life, being randomly laid from a job.

message 22: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments After viewing the sketches of Max I noticed that this summer seemed to be an “innovative” time for Max mainly due to the fact that he starts to let out his many ideas using his sketches. He makes these sketches because they feel real to him. Also, these images made a lot of things come to my mind. Besides noticing that these images represent his hatred of Hitler, Max also demonstrates his spirit by making sketches that are “grim and unconventional” (I put quotations mainly because this is sort of a mood I got when I saw the images. Additionally, this may be a way of him processing his grief and attempting to deal with something greater than him. Subsequently, Max's imagination seems to correspond with Death's. When I the Nazi sun, I made the inference that the sky was in a way connecting to the tragedies on earth. Max translates this horror that Death was able to see into a use of mockery through his art.

message 23: by Isabelle (new)

Isabelle Restrepo | 8 comments Liesel has grown such a strong love for Max. Max has been staying with the hubbermans for a while and as seasons go by we can see that their bond is growing strong minute by minute day by day. Liesel goes out of her way to make sure Max experiences life. During winter the whole family including Max builds a snowman in the basement for Max.
However this snowman causes Max to get extremely ill. We read as Max falls sicker and sicker. Eventually it seemed as Max would die. Liesel started to get things for Max and started to read to him because she believed it would help him. Max ended up waking up and gave liesel a gift in return for helping him get better.

message 24: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments Roughly half way into the book death goes on a monolog about what he looks like. He said that he is not the hooded cloak figure we potray him as. This shows death usually comes in ways we don't expect it because it is not the way we expect it to look. Also, in that same monologue he says something along the lines of I'll show you what I look like, find yourself a mirror while I continue. When death says this we can infer that he is saying that he looks like every one of us. I interpreted this as death is everyone of us because we live our entire lives knowing that we are going to die. This proves death's point of him not looking as we expect him to be and that we can die in many ways that are different than what we expect.

message 25: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments In various ways, Max and Liesel are very similar. They both have nightmares about their pasts, and they view Hans Hubermann and his accordion, as I have described before, as a source of safety. They also share a history of fist-fighting and a passion for words, which was introduced with Liesel's love for books and stealing them. Max writes books and makes sketches for Liesel about all that she has done for him and how all this gave him the strength to keep going. They are both aware of how Hitler constantly manipulates the crowd with his words, which surprised me because that makes them feel stronger toward their love for words, in a way. This sort of connection is what makes them such great friends. From this I noticed that when Max is shown in the book it is mainly when he is conforming to the government’s expectations, or defying the Nazi beliefs. Just as I said before when I discussed symbolism, the author uses books, and an accordion, as symbols to represent the conformity of each character, in this case Max.

message 26: by XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX (last edited Mar 09, 2017 05:10PM) (new)

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments in "the book thief" symbolism is a common reoccurring authors craft and reveals a lot about the text, that isn't simply stated. in the reading that we did in the past few days i thought of some new forms of symbolism. the first piece of symbolism that i noticed was the book "the whistler". in the book, this book is stolen by a few high school kids and is thrown away into a river, then Rudy has to go swim and get it, then he catches a cold. what i think the book symbolizes is how nothing is guaranteed in life, and you cant always go through everything on your own. the reason to why i think this because, prior to Rudy and liesel getting mugged and bullied by the bigger kids, they were just having a nice walk in the park along a bridge. but then this calm situation was quickly changed like the snap of a finger, and liesel surely could've gotten the book back on her own. another piece of symbolism is the snowman. liesel and papa brought buckets of snow to the basement so they could play together with max, the Jewish boy that they were holding refuge. then they built a snow man, however after it was melted, max got sick. this symbolizes a similar theme, that is, good things often don't last long, and if they are too good, they probably are bad. this can be seen because the good, was all the fun that they were having in the basement with the snow. however, this turned bad, after the snowman melted, there was a sudden change of mood, when max got sick. and last, i didn't read that deep into the part to figure this out, but possibly there is a common theme by both of them getting sick, aside from the ones i stated, and i predict that there will be more people in good scenarios turning sick shortly after.

message 27: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments "The Book Thief" teaches the message that words are powerful. At the begginning of the book Liesel's brother dies and Liesel steals her first book "The Grave Digggers Handbook" From you guessed it a grave digger. Her stepfather Hans Hubermann taught how to read starting from scratch. She learned words and as the war evolved and grew around her she saw some of the greatest problems in Nazi Germany and endured them; poverty, sexism and discarmination against race. Liesel wasn't the only one that discovered that words were power. Max in his dreams boxed with the Fuhrer. When Max landed a hit on Hitler , the Fuhrer called on the citizens of Germany (the audiance) to defeat his enemy. Thorugh his persuasionn the entirety of Germany beat Max.This shows that words are powerful.

XxShah_Ibnul_Sadek_WafixX | 10 comments In the "book thief" there is plenty of authors craft, symbolism and a bunch of other shenanigans, that lead some to believe that is is a master piece work of literature, and deserved every award that it has gotten so far. That's great and all, but there is one thing that actually makes a book decent that this book lacks. its a interesting, constantly developing plot. For example, there was one part where some thing major happened, the main character's brother dies. then all that happened was she moved on with her life, no revenge, no emotional scene, no nothing. another time is when the man character's book was stolen, by some bullies. then Rudy, got it back. the bullies didnt want revenge, there was no fight, in fact it seemed like the characters didnt even care at all. and finally is death. this dude alwasys spoils what happens in the book. if we wanted spoilers we would go to sparknotes, why do we need this cheap horrible narrator. and also, these chapters. god i know that they are to symbolize some thing but why name them some thing that's not even remotely close to what the chapter is really about. all in all, the book thief may have good craft, but is dull and has a cheap storyline. (im 75% done with the book btw)

message 29: by Mona (new) - added it

Mona | 11 comments Continuing to the symbolism Ibnul mentioned in his comment, I wanted to note that there is also symbolism and a bit of imagery when it comes to Hitler. Hitler as he is reproduced in photos, film, and radio broadcasts, could be represented as a symbol of power and leadership for those who follow him, and a symbol of horror and terror for his targets. Through the reproduction of his image, his voice, and his symbols, Hitler becomes an omnipresent or ubiquitous force for the general public of Germany. These are the symbols by which the people are enlisted to support Hitler, and they are backed up by some of the most terrifying acts in the book. They are, as a matter of fact, symbols of fear, prejudice, and horrific terror.

message 30: by Milo (new)

Milo G. | 9 comments At the beginning of the last part of the book. Death says this about Rudy, "He didn't deserve to die the way he did." Truth is death was rught. He didn't. The way Rudy died was when one of the Allies (The US, France, The United Kingdom and Russia) bombed Himmel Street which caused the death of Rudy Steiner. An death like that, when your only survival is on chance, that is truly an unfair death. Besides it wasn't like the government of the United States, Fance, The United Kingdom and Russia were target him specifically which adds on to the unfairness because they were attacking Germany and it doesn't matter where you live in Germany. In the end it is all down to your luck that you don't get nuked in the middle of a World War. Rudy's death as well as the Hubermann's and everyone on Himmel Street was truly unfair and undeserved.