is230-808-2017 discussion

This topic is about 1984

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alfast (new)

Alfast Bermudez | 13 comments Topic made by Alfast Bermudez.

message 2: by Alfast (new)

Alfast Bermudez | 13 comments So far in the book we can definitely see why this book is a dystopia. The "Party" or the basic dictators are in control of everything the public thinks, sees, and feels. Our hero Winston has been blinded by this but is slowly waking up to see that society is not the way the others see it, like the storyline of many dystopias. In fact, he is one of the only people to notice that the government promised that there be no reductions in chocolate rations, yet this happens anyways, and the next day after the ration is decreased from 30 grams to 20 grams, the government says it is RAISING the ration to 20 grams. The government is in control of history as well as shown in this situation, in fact it is Wilson's job to destroy any evidence of contradicting information to what happens the next day. The government is also trying to remove feelings from the people as marriages' only purpose is to raise children. In fact, the government is also trying to get rid of sexual feelings as sex is looked down upon but artificial methods of reproduction are still an option. The government is also trying to dumb down the population by getting rid of "Old English" and replacing it with "Newspeak" which gets rid of multiple words in the English language. For example, good stays as good but splendid becomes supergood or something of that nature. That's what we know so far... Will Wilson find a way to escape? Find out in my next reflection.

message 3: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments i haven't read as much as my book club but i can clearly see the dystopian culture. the protagonist, wilson isn't able to express his feelings. they have completely no privacy even their thought s are monitored. when he tried to buy his journal he made sure that no one (the big brother) is watching. when he bought his journal he seemed relieved almost as if he has broken a law and didnt get caught. when he starts writing he didnt know how to hold the pencil. almost like aafter an entire summer without using a pencil and when you have to familiarize yourself on holding the pencil. while reading alfast reflection i was more intrested in the story because i read the first few pages and it was kind of confusing.

message 4: by Adam (last edited Feb 06, 2017 05:00PM) (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments In '1984' the society that is being portrayed, or hinted towards is a society that is opposite of our currently. In our world, we believe that freedom is the complete opposite of slavery and vise versa. But the book says that freedom is slavery and slavery is freedom, and war is peace. With this being said, they want to carefully watch and keep track of people's thoughts just in case of a rebellion, they did this by creating thought police and placing telescreens everywhere, and they monitor their thoughts and actions. The protagonist of this story is an ordinary person who is explaining his thoughts towards his society. He thinks that his society is not beneficial in any way and that it is bad. There was this one scene where two kids (brother and sister) were playing with each other with toy handguns and they were mad because their parents prohibited them from watching a hanging. Also, I remember him writing this exact thing in one of his journal entries where he keeps his thoughts about his soviety and informs us as well, "DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER, DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER!". Lastly, Big Brother is their 'political figure' *cough* dictator *cough* *cough*.

message 5: by Alfast (new)

Alfast Bermudez | 13 comments I agree with Noel about the fact that humans are being desensitised, and am now up to the part of the book where Winston meets Julia. This is pretty much the turning point in the book from what I know. Julia is reforming Winston's mindset into what a human would normally be like. Winston previously couldn't model his feelings or understand them very well but had a spark of knowledge that something was wrong in society. If you know how fire works, you need fuel and oxygen to get one started. Winston had the fuel and Julia gave him the oxygen. (A weird analygy.) This fire represents Winston recognizing his feelings for love which had long been oppressed by the government. However, Julia also means trouble for Winston. She is Anti-Party and openly speaks about it with him. Winston agrees with her views but because they speak about their views so much, I think eventually the party will figure out and murder them. This can be done through the spying systems they use to catch thought criminals such as televisions and microphones that are concealed. If Julia and Winston ever do anything to take down the party, they are in trouble

message 6: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments What I find really interesting about dystopian literature (specifically 1984) is that the government is so controlling where your mental health would be complete trash. This is because if this type of government has been around for awhile then baby's would grow up not knowing why they have to fear the tele-screens or the thought police. They would just follow the rules. Because they are rules. For example in our society we are given rules. And they are exp

message 7: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments -Lained to us. When Winston meets Julia. He has more points of views and there's signs everywhere that says "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU", we know that there is no one watching us. But if we were told to believe that. And every generation after us. They might start forgetting the truth. And their minds would be manipulated. Telescreens are basically little microphones they are all over the place. And if Winston and Julia aren't careful they will get caught. Just like alfast said.

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments hey guys

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments i found a pdf of 1984

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments there

message 12: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments just read up to 160 if you didnt already

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments that was the previous goal

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments XD

message 15: by Adam (new)

Adam Haiboub (thebossbanana_adam) | 12 comments wrong chat sorry

message 16: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments ... who were you going to send that too

message 17: by Alfast (new)

Alfast Bermudez | 13 comments So by now me and Adam finished the book while Maria is close to being done and I don't know what spot Noel is in. Our reading goal for today was to finish the book, which as I already said, was done. What is so amazing about the ending is that we get is not the shock of O'Brien being a traitor, but the psycology used on Winston to essentially break him into pieces, or like the book said, hollow him out and replace the inside with the Party. O'Brien tortured Winston into believing that 2+2=5 and essentially left Winston a hollow shell of life, incapable of thinking and only having thoughts that the Party controlled. By the end, Winston thought that all events in his life were made up by him and that he had done that because he was mentally handicapped which the Party had "fixed" by torture. The Party has interesting methods which are somewhat like a CIA torturing method. First comes torture, plainly. Beatings at random, and they are intensive. Then comes re-education and brainwashing, where they insert a needle into your back painfully and push it further and further while making you answer false answers to questions inorder to burn it into your mind. Third comes your worst fear and being exposed to it. And finally you are killed. Over all, Winston is forced to give in to the society which was a dreadful ending.

message 18: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments After reading Alfasts comment it made me wonder, what if everything was imagined, all in his head, The party, the thought police etc.it could really represent how he copes wth his real life problems. I feel like this book is a good representation of how humanity's greatest innovations and darkest instincts collide. The party is very intelligent on how to control people minds, bending minds for their own benefit.

message 19: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments I really want to bring up a page I saw on winstons mother. How is the fmaily supposed to communicate with each other if there are son many restrictions to their thought and privacy. Are all family's sepeerated ?

message 20: by Alfast (new)

Alfast Bermudez | 13 comments I disagree with Maria. She said that the theme of the book is selfishness deep down inside which she then supported with when Winston betrays Julia. However, it wasn't self-fish-ness it was human desperation and having no resort. In Winston's spot he had no control over what happened to his body and who won't react by blaming someone else. I think the main theme in the book was to defend what you have or else it will be taken. The book was written in the Cold War Era which was a time of mass paranoia in the World due to the threat of full scale nuclear warfare. George Orwell is a famous criticizer of Russian Communism from his book Animal Farm, and the United States is the opposite of Communism. We protected Human rights and overall equality. The Cold War was a time where the government began to un-focus from events happening inside it and focus on the arms-race with Russia. This book is a warning to all peoples to watch what they have and protect it or else the government could turn into 1984's Oceania.

message 21: by Noel (new)

Noel | 12 comments The party is so 'strict' so that they can have complete control over the citizens of Oceania. Which is the p.o.v everyone is sort of agreeing on. George orwelll did write the book to represent how the party or their 'government' brings has such control.

I want to bring up how during a war there is two sides you pick the side that is more advantageous to you. I want to think when Geoffrey Orwell says war is peace he is somewhat referring to that. After a war your conflict is completely resolved or somewhat resolved. I feel as though he heightened one of our society ideas by saying how the ideas that are said to us can be untrue.

When the party eliminated words to have no political rebellion they also, kind of changed their emotions. The citizens only have one option and that's whatever the party says. They lose moral. During wars/fights we have a educated conscious that tell us what to do. We can control the intensity but with Oceania they go extreme. Party over blood is there motto

I want to know who the citizens of Oceania think big brother is.