World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Bucharest: 150,000 protesters protest emergency decree that decriminalizes corruption

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Feb 02, 2017 02:02PM) (new)

Alex (asato) Romanians are very politically aware. Did we ever see 150,000 people protesting in the US during the presidential race?

"On Wednesday February 1 crowds reached a staggering 150,000 protesters in Bucharest alone. It was the first time that violence occurred since the protests began, after hooligans alledly infiltrated the demonstration and threw firecrackers and bottles at police. Twenty people were arrested, five were were taken to hospitals and treated for injuries."
(http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpi...)

message 2: by Matthew (last edited Feb 02, 2017 05:25PM) (new)

Matthew Williams (houseofwilliams) Interesting. What exactly was passed? I understand that it was the decriminalization of corruption. But some of the details are missing...

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13528 comments Reminds the ousting of Ceaușescu

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber Foxx (amberfoxx) | 6 comments The U.S. congress sneaked in approval of corruption in international dealings relating to fossil fuel industries but I'm not sure how many people even know it happened, there has been so much to protest and be outraged about here. I wish we had done more during the race. I was just quietly volunteering on the Hillary Clinton campaign, thinking we might win.