Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
This topic is about A Fire Upon the Deep
Archived Group Reads > A Fire Upon the Deep

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:42PM) (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the second book of the month, or group read, for February. Please remember to use the spoiler tags where necessary. The other group read topic for this month (A Deepness in the Sky) can be found here.

Phil Jensen | 10 comments What a great book!

message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel | 83 comments Ive been a bit bogged down with with over the last month but I just finished reading this. So many ideas; galactic in scope - a riveting read!

message 4: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
Mel wrote: "Ive been a bit bogged down with with over the last month but I just finished reading this. So many ideas; galactic in scope - a riveting read!"

Glad you enjoyed it, Mel! I've been a bit bogged down myself the last couple of months. :/

Nick Patrick | 8 comments Read this at the time but never got around to commenting. Absolutely loved it - possibly my favourite sci fi to date. It dragged a bit with the Blues-Brothers-length chase scene, and it took me way longer to read than other novels with comparable page count. However I'm struggling to think of another novel with such mind-boggling concepts, that also has such compelling, rich and varied characters and races. Fantastic.

Nick Patrick | 8 comments By races I mean alien species ...

Phil Jensen | 10 comments Which chase scene, Nick? I read it a couple years ago, so you'll have to refresh my memory.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel | 83 comments Phil wrote: "Which chase scene, Nick? I read it a couple years ago, so you'll have to refresh my memory."
As I recall, there is more than one chase and over more than one scene: the protracted chase involving the rogue AI forces and the rescue mission to the trapped kids in the slow zone and the chase on the planet itself involving the rival factions of the indigenous alien species.

Nick Patrick | 8 comments Hi both - I meant the epic space chase to the tines world, between the various different space-faring factions.