I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading right now? > What are you reading right now? (February 2017)

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
What are you reading this month? Is anything new on your pull?

message 2: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery Pull list has been little light... I haven't been able to get down to the shop recently. I did, however, grab a few trades from my local library.

Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity
Dark Night: A True Batman Story
Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Vol. 1: BFF
Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison

I have finished a couple and should have reviews up shortly. Spoiler - Sweet Tooth V2 and A True Batman Story? Frickin' amazing!!!

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon (siid) Lazarus, Vol. 3: Conclave
Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
Dark Night: A True Batman Story

Lazarus 3+4 are really great, yet the first two runs, especially Vol1, were far better.
I liked Dark Night a lot. Was expcting a bit more, but still liked it. There were parts of it, the were so so, while others were very interesting. Liked the story far better then the art though.

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments Ryan wrote: "Pull list has been little light... I haven't been able to get down to the shop recently. I did, however, grab a few trades from my local library.

Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity..."

Thanks for the reminder to pick up Sweet Tooth, Volume 2. I read the first one a while back and remember it being really good.

message 5: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments This week I read Lady Killer, Baba Yaga's Assistant, Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility, and Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 1: Atomic Garden.

The story on Lady Killer isn't great, but the art and attention to detail for the period pieces is amazing. Baba Yaga's Assistant is enjoyable, but geared toward younger readers. Tokyo Ghost is just as messed up as I would expect from a Rick Remender book. I noticed a lot of references to the creators sprinkled in the book. Lots of fun for that alone.

Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't quite as good as I remembered. Still good, particularly for the portrayal of the teens. The take on Green Goblin is wonderful. But how come everyone that knows Peter Parker doesn't know he is Spider-Man?

message 6: by Ryan Lowery (last edited Feb 05, 2017 12:57PM) (new)

Ryan Lowery Phillip-
Sweet Tooth, Volume 2: In Captivity is totally, totally worth the read. It was fantastic!

message 7: by Kate (new)

Ryan wrote: "Pull list has been little light... I haven't been able to get down to the shop recently. I did, however, grab a few trades from my local library."

What a great haul! I need to get caught up on Lazarus too.

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments I just finished reading Saga, Vol. 2 and I absolutely loved it. My only regret is not having volume 3 on hand.

message 9: by Kate (new)

Crumpets&arsenic wrote: "I just finished reading Saga, Vol. 2 and I absolutely loved it. My only regret is not having volume 3 on hand."

I love Saga! Yes, it's definitely a good one for sitting and reading volumes back to back, if you can. Who's your favorite character so far?

message 10: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 591 comments Mod
Just started my re-read of X-Men: Legacy - X-Men Legacy, Volume 1: Prodigal. This is easily my favorite X-Men story around. It's 4 volumes and perfectly succinct.

Also, started a re-read of a series I never finished: Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker. This book ran for 33 issues, and I only ever read volume one. IT IS DENSE and it is fantastic.

message 11: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments Kate wrote: "Crumpets&arsenic wrote: "I just finished reading Saga, Vol. 2 and I absolutely loved it. My only regret is not having volume 3 on hand."

I love Saga! Yes, it's definitely a good on..."

Oh, that's such a tough one! lol It's so hard to choose a single favorite character in this series, but I would probably choose Alana if I had to narrow it down to just one. I absolutely love Marko too though. How about you? :)

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments I just finished The Sheriff of Babylon, Volume 1: Bang. Bang. Bang.. It was even better than I had expected, and I will have to grab volume 2 asap.
Tom King just might be the best writer in comics right now.

message 13: by Kate (new)

Crumpets&arsenic wrote: "Oh, that's such a tough one! lol It's so hard to choose a single favorite character in this series, but I would probably choose Alana if I had to narrow it down to just one. I absolutely love Marko too though. How about you?"

Alana is my favorite main as well, but I also really like Izabel and I adore Ghüs. Lying Cat probably doesn't count as a character, but I love her too.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Paul wrote: "I just finished The Sheriff of Babylon, Volume 1: Bang. Bang. Bang.. It was even better than I had expected, and I will have to grab volume 2 asap.
Tom King just might be the best ..."

I couldn't agree more! I just picked up volume 2, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Also, have you heard of a little book called The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man?

message 15: by Kate (new)

I just finished reading Green Arrow, Volume 4: The Kill Machine, which was my first GA solo book. I was skeptical when Nick said it's a good jumping on point (who doesn't start at number 1?!), but he was right. It starts by essentially burning everything to the ground, then rebuilds the GA origin story, team, and mythos from scratch. If you like Lemire, I recommend it.

I also read Gamora #2 and God Country #1 this evening so that I'm caught up for the next in the series, which come out tomorrow. I enjoyed both, especially the art (though very different styles).

My library hold on March: Book One came in last Friday, and as of this evening I'm about halfway through it. I can absolutely see why it's won so many awards, and can't wait to discuss it when I'm done.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Winn (KiritoLiengod) | 1 comments Just started on Justice League Dark vo.1

message 17: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 262 comments Just finished Suicide Squad: The Official Movie Novelization. Arguably this doesn't belong in here, but I don't see a better section for it. The book had just as many faults as the movie, which is disappointing since Marv Wolfman wrote this. My review of it is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 18: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery I took the plunge - trying a 30-day trial of Comixology Unlimited. Any tips, tricks or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am digging through Alex+Ada to start...

message 19: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments Just recently read and enjoyed Giant Days, Vol. 1.

message 20: by Kate (new)

Ryan wrote: "I took the plunge - trying a 30-day trial of Comixology Unlimited. Any tips, tricks or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am digging through Alex+Ada to start..."

I am perpetually waiting for the perfect time (e.g. tons of reading time) to try it too. I'm not sure what's on it, but I will recommend Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon (Marvel NOW!), Wytches, Vol. 1, and I Kill Giants to anyone who listens until the day I die.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Crumpets&arsenic wrote: "Just recently read and enjoyed Giant Days, Vol. 1."

Yes! Such a great series. Have you tried Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy and/or Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy?

message 22: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Feb 21, 2017 08:24PM) (new)

Ryan wrote: "I took the plunge - trying a 30-day trial of Comixology Unlimited. Any tips, tricks or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I am digging through Alex+Ada to start..."

I GOT YOU (comixology links):

- Doctors
- Bitch Planet Volume 1
- Rai Volume 1
- Hex 11
- The Bunker Volume 1
- Six Gun Gorilla
- Trees Volume 1
- Hip Hop Family Tree Volume 1
- The Massive Volume 1
- The Wicked + The Divine Volume 1
- First Law of Mad Science Volume 1

message 23: by Kate (new)

Mike wrote: "I GOT YOU"

Mike, you are the hero we deserve <3

message 24: by Ryan Lowery (new)

Ryan Lowery Mike- OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for the tip. My Comixology list is officially fleshed out. Much appreciated. Damn, I love this group!

message 25: by DM (new)

DM Osbon | 11 comments Am reading through all Locke & Key volumes. still need to pick up the last volume, mind.

message 26: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments DM wrote: "Am reading through all Locke & Key volumes. still need to pick up the last volume, mind."

Awesome. :) I've read each of the volumes but I want to read the one-shot that came after the main series Locke & Key: Small World.

message 27: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

DM wrote: "Am reading through all Locke & Key volumes. still need to pick up the last volume, mind."

AGH! I love that series. I haven't read the last volume either!

message 28: by Kate (new)

Jamie wrote: "Finished my (pretty much) back to back Batman New 52 trades,
Continuing my Modern Marvel Project with Thunderbolts, by Warren Ellis & Mike Deodato: Ultimate Collection and will pro..."

Wow way to go on wrapping New 52 Batman! Which volume was your favorite?

message 29: by Kate (new)

The best floppy I've read recently was Batwoman: Rebirth (2017) #1. Kate Kane is far and away my favorite DC character, so I may be a LITTLE bit biased, but guys seriously, pick up this book!!!

Have any of you read it? What did you think?

message 30: by Wayland (new)

Wayland Smith | 262 comments That one was good, Kate. It was a tiny bit confusing if you don't know her story, but it was written well.

I didn't post my usual list this week because I was out of town last week, so I got a double on Weds, which is a lot of stuff.

message 31: by Crumpets&Arsenic (new)

Crumpets&Arsenic | 24 comments Kate wrote: "The best floppy I've read recently was Batwoman: Rebirth (2017) #1. Kate Kane is far and away my favorite DC character, so I may be a LITTLE bit biased, but guys seriously, pick up ..."

Awesome. I'm so glad to hear that you liked it. I really want to check it out so it's nice to hear that it's good! :)
And I agree, Kate Kane is great.

message 32: by Kate (new)

Jamie wrote: "Green Valley #1 was one of the best I've read in a while."

I'm really enjoying Green Valley. The issues aren't super consistent pacing-wise, so I think it will be a lot more enjoyable in trade. I am wishing that I had trade-waited it, though I love the issue covers.

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason Sandberg (jason_sandberg_ebooks) | 16 comments This month I read "God and Science" by Jamie Hernandez. The art was beautiful. I initially enjoyed the Silver Age style storyline, but it went off the rails for me during the last third of the book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a first exposure to his work.

My favorite monthly has been Spider-Woman by Hopeless/Rodriguez/Fish. I recommend both runs (2014 to Secret Wars & the current run that started in 2015). It has been a very humanizing title (showing Jessica's quirky full-speed-ahead personality) and has entered new territory for Marvel (she's a single mother). Also, the series was a showcase for the storytelling talents of Rodriguez (he uses time-lapse within some of the panels and fully utilizes full-page and double-page splashes).

message 34: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (new)

Kate wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Green Valley #1 was one of the best I've read in a while."

I'm really enjoying Green Valley. The issues aren't super consistent pacing-wise, so I think it will be a l..."

If I have anything to say about this book right now, it's a question: How's this book going to wrap up by issue #9?!

message 35: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 5 comments I read #2 of Supergirl: Being Super & it's so, so wonderful. I'm also reading The Superior Foes of Spider-Man Omnibus & loving it! Hilarious!

message 36: by Kate (new)

Jamie wrote: "Mike wrote: "Kate wrote: "Jamie wrote: "Green Valley #1 was one of the best I've read in a while."

I'm really enjoying Green Valley. The issues aren't super consistent pacing-wise,..."

Not a silly question. It's a miniseries, so it was announced as a 9 issue series, and in previews it's listed like "#6 of 9."

message 37: by Jason (new)

Jason Sandberg (jason_sandberg_ebooks) | 16 comments Superior Foes is a masterpiece! I had so many people rave about Superior Foes that I was nervous that it wouldn't live up to the hype. Glad you're enjoying it!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.