is230-809-2017 discussion

Ship Breaker (Ship Breaker, #1)
This topic is about Ship Breaker
Ship Breaker Group 1

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Estiven (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments Radeha, Emily, Henry, Asrar, Estiven

message 2: by Estiven (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:36PM) (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments After reading and discussing the story, i noticed that to Nailer and Pima, the ship-breaking yards are like hell to them. They work in extremely dangerous conditions were they risk they chance of dying and only get paid a little amount of money. That's why they would do anything to get out of there.
Except, Nailer knows how it feels to be helpless while your life rest on the hands of someone who could end when he almost drowned in oil and sloth refused to help him. That's why he refuses to kill lucky girl. Even though he can easily end her life and get all the silver, gold, and jewels, he just cant do it. There is also the chance that he is in love with her which is why he cant let Pima kill her. Either way, I believe this will lead to Nailer and Pima getting out of light crew as Nita might help them because they agreed to have each others back.

Henry Trinh | 10 comments In addition to Nailer and Pima's character relationship, it is also conveyed that throughout the text, there is a lack of trust between the characters, their families, and other friends/crew workers. The text depicts the lack of trust by demonstrating a social darwinistic tone, in which only the best will survive, which in this case is the rich. This is shown through both Nailer and Pima throughout the plot. In the text, as they both find a fortune in a wrecked ship, they found a female 'corpse,' and as they find a fortune through the furniture, they find her gold stuck on her finger. The lack of trust is mainly shown when they find out that the corpse is alive, named Nita. Both, however, have different thoughts on what to do when they come to the realization that the ship belongs to Nita; Pima wants to kill Nita for the wealth as she is weak at the moment, while Nailer wants to rescue the girl, for a small chance of wealth. Subsequently, Nailer and Pima compromise to rescue the girl, for only a possibility of her wealth.

However, it is continuously conveyed that Pima regrets her decisions of saving the girl, as she could have no longer needed to work. She understands that by killing Nita, all of Nita's wealth would be hers and Nailer's. The lack of trust is developed in the text, as it states," When he [Nailer] stood again aat the edge of the hull's cracked hollow, Pima was standing alone in the water, foam up to her thighs. He thought that she'd drown the girl, but he saw a flash of pale clothing on the rocks at the base of the island." This conveys how Nailer does not have full certainty that Pima will follow their compromise, and has no trust in others, as if they give in the ship, both Nailer and Pima will ultimately gain nothing.I believe that as the plot continues to further develop, the real conflict that will be shown is the lack of communications with others, which is the reason that has led to the lack of assurance in one another.

message 4: by Asrar (new)

Asrar M | 12 comments This dystopias shows the social issue of social hierarchy. There are "swanks" who are at the top, they are extremely rich. Then there are big corporations like Lawson &Carlson. After that there are bosses like Bapi. Last there are "Crew" members. They strip old washed up ships of materials for companies like Lawson& Carlson. The crew's jobs are extremely dangerous so they need loyalty from there fellow members.

When Nailer was in one of these situations, his crew member left him t die. This is why when he found Nita, even though by killing her, he could take all of her riches, he didn't. he remembered how he had felt and thought it would be wrong to kill her. This shows that even in the future, all people haven't lost their humanity.

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 10 comments We just started this book 2 days ago, and I already know that it will be a really good book. This book is a complete page turner, and I didn't want to stop reading. I really like how the author, Paolo Bacigalupi, is taking his time explaining each new character he introduces, and how that character builds a relationship with Nailer, the protagonists, or what relationship Nailer has with that character. For instance, when Bacigalupi introduced Nailer's dad, readers can tell that they didn't have the most stable relationship. However, as the story continues, Nailer and his dad's relationship grows stronger and stronger.
Also, when Nailer first met Lucky Girl (Nita), he knew that she was someone that he would get along with. He had Nita's life in the palm of his hand, because Pima was encouraging him to allow her to kill Nita. Pima and Nailer would then run away with the gold and silver that belonged to Nita. Pima and Nailer thought about both sides of the situation and decides that it would be better if they didn't kill Nita and give her a chance. From there on, Pima, Nailer, and Nita start to build a relationship.

message 6: by Radeha (last edited Feb 02, 2017 06:02PM) (new)

Radeha | 10 comments Nailer's predicament and attitude towards life result in an assumption that Nailer grew up in an environment where it's everyone for themselves. It gradually develops into a prediction that loyalty is extremely difficult to keep or initiate. This is depicted through Nailer and his companion Pima, whom behaviors are selfish, benefiting themselves.
According to one of the chapters in the book, Pima and Nailer encountered a girl, Nita who to their eyes was presumed dead withering away as a corpse. Seeing her appearance, they conclude that she was well brought up into a wealthy, high-class society. With this, Pima begins to slice her fingers using a knife to capture her valuable materials for her own survival and fortune. As Nita flinches, Pima pays no remorse and is driven to praise herself as this is a right decision. She shows her true colors of being afraid of the "dark" (her circumstances) than being brave to step into the dark and conquer it without going against her morals.
However, Pima and Nailer proved themselves to be clever. As they thought about all the possible solutions, the benefit of killing Nita as they have known shortly after she was alive or the consequences of keeping her alive to run away and let themselves be forgotten, it intrigued me of how fear masked their heart, but not their sense. This further demonstrates the selfishness of Pima and Nailer and their vulnerability against their home. Although they were able to think things through, Pima and Nailer obligated to the side of their own ideals instead of humanity. They had to be humane enough to do the inhumane. Acknowledging that they let Nita live, tells me that the two have not reached their full potential and do not know what their genuine aspirations are.

message 7: by Emily (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

Emily | 10 comments As we go farther and farther into the book, I can really see how descriptive Pablo Bacigalupi writes. Asrar and I were discussing this in class today. We were taking about how as we read, it was like a movie playing in front of us. We could picture every movement that the characters did and almost could feel what the characters were feeling. For instance, when Nita was inspecting Nailer's infection, and she pushed one of her fingers into it, the author wrote in so much detail, that I could almost feel Nita's hands digging into my back as well. When they were running from Nailer's dad and had to climb up a tree, I was on the edge of my seat, anxious to find out if they made it.

I was so invested into this book when I was reading today, that I almost read too much, past my group's goal. I can't wait until we get to keep reading this book.

message 8: by Asrar (new)

Asrar M | 12 comments This dystopian world is consumed by greed, and this is shown on multiple occasions. this greed is due to the fact that these lower classes are having to do labor day in and day out. the only way that they can escape this life of work is to become rich. For example, one of the former crew members "Lucky Strike" found oil and was able to buy his way to freedom. Nailer had a chance like this when he found oil, but he lost it, or he wouldn't have been able to get out of it alive.

This greed shows when Nailer and Pima find the crashed clipper ship full of riches. They immediately started to loot and pillage whatever was on the ship that was of any value. They are so greedy that when they saw the rings on Nita (whom they presumed was dead) finger's Pima was ready to cut her fingers off if it meant getting those gold rings. the rings were of such value that one of them could have bought them freedom, and Nita was wearing multiple rings. the riches aren't even accounting for other jewelry, silverware actually made of silver or any other money or precious items.

message 9: by Radeha (new)

Radeha | 10 comments Based on how much I have read, my predictions are that Nailer, Pima and Nita who have created a bond by blood are driven to realize that reputations are built based on the environment the characters have grew up in or the background they come from. For example, Nita, a a member of a high class family is vulnerable to threats. When Pima was on the verge to injure her for gold, she let out a soft whisper of defense. This shows that her guard is easily let down since she has been aided by servants her entire life. However, Pima and Nailer are recognized to be more of a direct, but they hold back their emotions for only the reader to understand by the description of their thoughts. Pima and Nailer were convinced that they had to become rich no matter what they did.

Another prediction from the book is that Nailer underestimates the trust of Nita, which will be the cause of a traumatic climax incorporated in the book. The lack of trust is the reason for being binded by blood because it is an oath of promise. However, the trust issues will most likely be masked since Nailer seems to be head over heels in love with Nita as he describes her physical appearance in an admiring way. On the other hand, this trance will form a rocky relationship with Pima since she was hesitant in devising a plan of escape with Nita.

message 10: by Estiven (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments I agree with you Radeha, now that we have read more into the story, we now that your prediction was correct. Since Nita lied about her father coming to get her, Nailer no longer trust her as much. Because of her, Nailer could seriously get injure by his dad once he find out Nailer has been protecting Nita.

Going Back to the topic of Nailer's Dad, I can infer that now that Nailer, Nita, and Tool have escape and caused him to lose the reward money, Richard is going to bee extremely furious and will hunt them down to the end of the world if he has to and even kill his own son just to get rich.

message 11: by Zawad (new)

Zawad (kinghobojo45) | 18 comments wait we have to do goodreads today?

Henry Trinh | 10 comments As we read further into the book, the theme of social-darwinism is continuously shown, not only by the poor, which is represented by mainly Nailer and Pima, but also the rich, which is represented by Nita. The theme of social darwinism is shown through Nita as she had lied to spare time and in order to protect herself. If she had not, she would have immediately died for her riches in her clipper boat.

This further conveys a new theme; that everyone has problems that you do not fully understand until you are put in their "shoes." Nailer and Pima had problems of survival, as they needed scavenge for items for food, other necessities, and medicine. Nita, however, did not realize the entire conditions that they were in, until she had spent more time with them both. She realised that the problems were such horrendous, in which the alcohol that they had was for only the use of 'animals.' Vise versa, Nita had problems with protecting others. Nita only met Nailer and Pima in a shipwreck, due to her escaping to 'save' her father's life from other family members in her family's corporate business. Nailer and Pima, however, only thought of Nita to be a 'Swank', in which she did not care for the welfare of others, and had sacrificed others 'blood' and life for her own benefit(s). This conveys how as we strive to be the best, we also blame others as to why we fail.

message 13: by Zawad (new)

Zawad (kinghobojo45) | 18 comments wait we have to do goodreads
answer my question

message 14: by Zawad (new)

Zawad (kinghobojo45) | 18 comments ohhhhh that makes more sense
thanks

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily | 10 comments When we set the goal on Wednesday and read, we ended up reading a very interesting part of the book, where Nita and Nailer's adventure grew. The two, along with Tool survived the train journey and are currently in the place where they are on the lookout for Nita's crew. However, everything becomes tense when Nailer's dad arrives with a couple of half-men and is looking for Nita. Nailer quickly recognizes his dad and tries to warn Nita and Tool. They were successful and found people that belong to Nita's crew. A couple of days later, Nailer decides that he is going to try to convince Nita's crew to come with him to go back to one of the sheds, where Nita is hiding. When they arrived, Nita wasn't there, but Tool was. Tool told them that Nailer's dad has Nita and that his dad was looking for him too. Then, right around this part, our book club goal stopped for the day and we were left wondering what Nailer was going to do.

I have a prediction about what will happen. I think that Nailer will go after his dad to try and find Nita, because they are blood crew. (the author has mentioned that Nita and Nailer has shared blood from each other's palms when they first met, as an initiation to become crew members). I think that Nailer will be successful finding Nita, but I think that Nailer will have a rough encounter with his father and then Nailer and Nita will escape and their adventure will continue.

message 16: by Asrar (new)

Asrar M | 12 comments Now that Nita Chaudry (lucky girl) has revealed ho she is and why she was running, Nailer and Pima are in a predicament. They can give her to her father's enemies for a fortune, or run away with her and hope to be rewarded by her father. Although Pima did not come with them, Nailer, Nita and Tool(a half-man who owed Pima's mom) escaped by jumping on a moving train and going to Orleans, where some people on her father's side would be.

However, their problems did not stop there, for now they were in a dirty city with little money, little food an only Tool for protection. To Nita's disappointment there were none of her father's ships there when they arrived. therefor e they got jobs and waited. The day that they did see one of Nita's Father's ships was also the day that Nailers father(who is now rich because he side with Nita's enemies)came to Orleans. Although Nailer was skeptical that both arrived on the same day, Nita was practically jumping with joy. while Nailer went to go see if the ships was friendly or enemy, Nita was captured. Now we are at a cliffhanger where we find out how Nailer and Nita's allies will get her back.

message 17: by Estiven (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments To add on to what you said, i can predict that since Nita was capture, Nailer is going to do whatever he can to save her. Since they made that blood oath at the beginning of the book, Nailer considers her part of the crew and he wont abandon her. That and also i think that he has a crush on her and refuses to let her be taken by her uncle and his father.

Also, since Tool and Nailer went different ways, it is up to Nailer to rescue Nita. He needs to grow stronger since i know he will be the one to face on his father. The problem is his father is a master killer and since Nailer had problem killing blue eyes [one of his father's workers] he might not be stronger enough to take him out and rescue Nita

Henry Trinh | 10 comments I agree with Estiven's prediction, but Nita made a blood oath to them, and broke the oath by partially lying about her true identity. Moreover, since Nita swore to Pima and Nailer, Nita must fulfill her oath, even though Nailer and Pima had not swore to be loyal to her.

The question at hand is mainly about loyalty to others. We do not know if we should trust the characters, due to many events in the plot that had went against the theme of loyalty. This is especially shown through Tool, the half-men, His kind, the Half-Men are supposedly required to be trained and to be loyal to their masters. However, Tool claims that he does not have a master, which builds up more tension, as, if a 'person' who is known to be loyal does not follow in the footsteps of their own kind, then who knows, maybe there are other non-loyal people. Why should we trust the Captain that Nailer had found? Why should Nailer continue to help Nita, after she had broke her loyalty blood oath?

In addition to other people's ideas, Nailer's father may seem as if a 'hunger' for greed, however, I believe that as the plot continues, Nailer's father's own anger will be a disadvantage, leading up to his downfall.

message 19: by Radeha (last edited Feb 14, 2017 06:37PM) (new)

Radeha | 10 comments There are various comments concerning Nailer's father's thirst for greed. However, it is still unknown about his origins and how has Nailer's father evolved through the years to become what he is. There could be several different factors concerning his yearn for money and valuables.

There has been no talks about Nailer's mother or her status, if she is living and her current whereabouts. In addition, the book focuses extremely on Nailer's feelings, his moments and practically his world. Yes, the protagonist is Nailer but, understanding the circumstances and the influences around him, the author must give us a glimpse on everyone else's past contributing to their recent descriptions. It would be benefiting if there was insight on Nailer's father's childhood. For instance, hypothetically if Nailer's dad grew up in an environment similar to that of Nailer, with his parents tormenting him and making ends meet, this background would compare to his greediness and things never being enough. This would lessen reader's views upon him changing to an understanding tone. To add on, this opens up analysts of comparing Nailer to his dad, on how they both treat identical obstacles, shaping our perspectives on how the evolution of generations can mold a person's life.

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 10 comments I agree with what Radeha said, and I just realized how true her statement was. There was nothing in the book that has talked about Nailer's past with his relationships he has with his family, which leads me to think that the reason the author doesn't mention this is because Nailer doesn't have good memories about his past and wants to just forget it.

From my last post, I had a prediction about what was going to happen, but when we read more of the book today, Nailer didn't actually find Nita yet. However, I still think that Nailer will find Nita because I don't think the author will leave the book with them not finding each other after he has mentioned that they were blood crew for so long. However, as we were reading today, I didn't really remember what was happening because we haven't read in so long, that I forgot what happened before. But I re-read a couple pages before we ended the last time, so then I remembered what happened.

message 21: by Estiven (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments I agree with you Emily and also i would like to predict that the crew of dauntless will use the city that is not in any maps or "the teeth" as Nailer said to their advantage. Now that they are being chased by the pole star, since they know that they don't stand a chance against it, they can use the city as a trap since as mentioned before, it was abandoned and not in any map, so the pole star will crash against it and sink.

As for Nailer's dad, i believe he and Nailer will face off soon and it will probably be a battle to the death. As mentioned in previous chapters of the book, even though Nailer hates his dad, he still considers him family and does not want him dead but now, Nailer is going to have to make a choice of either fighting his dad in a possible battle to the death or letting Nita get taken.

message 22: by Asrar (new)

Asrar M | 12 comments What I mentioned in the last post about getting back Nita back has not yet happened, however we have learnt something about human nature, how your habits are not easy to change. All of Nailer's life(that we know of), he has always had to work, and has always had someone above him that he had to listen to. This shows because on the ship with the captain, Nailer wanted a job. additionally he was happy with a job that required the person to be small, and crawl into small, dangerous spaces, just like his old job in the ship-breaking crew.

It is also shown that the richer ,higher people still feel a bit superior to Nailer even though he helped them by telling them where Nita was. the captain even told him how you had to earn your way to becoming a ship crew member. the captain also kind of mocked by presenting the idea of making him work atop the mast, but Nailer was ready to accept that challenge.

message 23: by Radeha (new)

Radeha | 10 comments In addition to Asrar's comment, the reason the rich and poor have false image for one another is because of the lack of experience in the individual's shoes. Nailer had not experience a sprinkle of wealth, so his point of view of the top of the hierarchy is that they have no sense of gratitude and spend momey without a second thought.

However, Nita was blinded by Nailer and Pima with their ragged clothes and life that she did not think of how clever they could be. She became vulnerable in their first encounter thinking that how belittled they are, Pa would not dare cut off her finger and take her valuables.

Henry Trinh | 10 comments As most comments were based on The Dauntless, it is shown how bigger isn't always better, in relation to Pole Star. This is shown as even though Pole Star had the advantages of having the best ship, weapons, and armor, The Daintless has Nailer, in which they were able to navigate the sea, and up to where Nailer used to"live." Nailer proved his worth as he was able to use a better advantage: his pure knowledge. He was able to navigate through his home area, and knew all the dangerous routes and fastest routes.

To add on, the meaning of "worth" in the book is revoked around a hierarchy, based on the rich to the struggled. Want to work on a crew? Prove your "worth" with your money. Everyone comes to the realization that they are either on the far superior side, or the far inferior side. This made Nailer work harder in order to prove his "worth" through actual work. I predict that Nailer will be able to convey to others that money fires not prove your worth, rather than what you do, in which proves your worth.

message 25: by Estiven (new)

Estiven Cubias | 12 comments Now that we have finished the book, i can say that the ending was very disappointing. Although we already said a lot in the discussion in class, i still want to mention how Nailer risked his life for Nita. He gave up everything he knew, he faced his fears and defied his father. He even killed him, his own flesh and bones for Nita and its no secret he has a crush on her yet the story ended with a simple wave. Not even going to talked to each other.

Also going back to my previous inference. I guessed correctly that Nailer and his dad were going to have a final showdown were only one leaves alive. At the end of the fight. Richard actually wanted Nailer to help him and even apologized for what he did. I believe that Richard actually changed since when Nailer ignored him, instead of screaming at Nailer to help him, he stayed quiet and accepted his fate.

message 26: by Asrar (new)

Asrar M | 12 comments Adding on to what Estiven said, the ending wasn't very well written. It is also an ending that would be good if the author was planning to write a sequel about Nailer and Nita's future, or perhaps Nailer as a swank. Instead the other book in relation to this one is about the adventures of the half-man Tool, which confuses me because the reader(s) have grown attached to Nailer and Nita, Tool has already left their story so there is no need to focus more on him.

As for Estiven's other comment, I agree that Richard Lopez seemed to change in the moments before his death, but I have no doubt that if Nailer had let his father live, Richard would have become his normal self and would have killed Nailer in a heartbeat. I also had agreed with Estiven's earlier prediction about the show down, except that I predicted Nailer using his brains to win.

message 27: by Emily (last edited Feb 16, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Emily | 10 comments I think we all agree that the ending was not the best ending the story could've had. When the author writes about how Nailer risked his life trying to save Nita for a big chunk of the book, I was thinking that when the book ended, they would have interacted with one another more. There was no closure to their relationship, except for a small little wave goodbye. But because the author did not continue on Nailer and Nita's relationship, it leaves readers a chance to be able to infer and imagine for themselves what would happen next. When I finished the book and realized that the author didn't close the relationship between the two, I automatically wanted to read the second book, thinking that it would elaborate on how their lives continued and if Nailer and Nita would cross paths again. My group got the second book, read the blurb on the back and noticed that it didn't say anything about Nailer and Nita, we kind of backed away from reading the second book and choose a new book.

I think that the reason why we didn't want to read the second book in the series is because we read about Nailer and Nita for a long time, and we wanted to continue the story of their adventures. After we saw that the second book wasn't about the characters we have grown so attached to, we were all really disappointed in the way the book ended with a weak conclusion of Nailer's relationship with Nita. I think we were all expecting Nailer and Nita to do something more than just wave at each other, like have a conversation or having Nita explain what has happened to her, because the readers already know what Nailer's adventure was. But, to wrap it all up, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not really happy with the way the author ended the book, and I feel as if he could have done something more interesting.

message 28: by Henry (last edited Feb 16, 2017 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Henry Trinh | 10 comments Based on the ending of the book, in relation to your opinions, I also believe that it could have been better, rather than ending with a wave between the protagonists. The sequel to the book, however, was far worse than what I could have ever imagined, only due to the fact that it reminds me of usual movie sequels. The first book is about the present, the sequel is about the past, and the third sequel is based on the present.

As a group, we may have not chose to read the sequel, as Tool, the most unique Half-men, as he is not loyal, has not actually been fully developed in the first book, which makes us not have a great desire to read the sequel. Besides this, the ending most likely just had a description of the beach, as it symbolizes a future that has not been fully discovered, by Nailer. It has ended off with the beach most likely to convey how since not even our oceans have been fully discovered, yet is interpreted, Nailer's relationships with many in the future has not been discovered, yet can be interpreted in our own ways.

Along with Estiven's and Asrar's statement on Nailer's father, Richard Lopez, who is now dead, this also relates to the debates we have in class, based on the death penalty. The death of Richard Lopez alludes to the death penalty, as most people who end up with the death penalty have done serious, major offenses, in which they have shown no remorse, but as soon as they are about to die, they show a forced remorse as they are vulnerable. This could strengthen the side in the debate of whom chooses that the death penalty is justified; as those people have terrorized many, and still subsequently not want to pay for their crimes.

message 29: by Radeha (last edited Feb 16, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Radeha | 10 comments The discussion over Nailer and Nita's "relationship" is vague. Was there even a relationship? The story focused on the two individually working together for Nita's benefits and to empty Nailer's head of his idea of Nita and the one side relationship portrayed in the story.

To demonstrate, towards the end, Nailer went to hell and back to save Nita, killing his own father, of what was an exclusive action without the thought out story line. However, Nita and Nailer waved goodbye permanently as if nothing happened. It could have been symbolism of a "see you again" aside from the fact that he and Pima were still calling her a rich swank.

However, I should add a purpose for the author, providing an open book of possibilities for the ending. Possibly, Nailer realized he did not like Nita as a lover, but a member of the only family he has left, thus, dropping his mind to love the idea of what could be and grasp what is important to him.