Support for Indie Authors discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived > reviews and 'rewards'

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Gienapp | 45 comments I know that you can't give away copies, on the condition that people post reviews (and frankly, I've always found that silly.. it's not as if you can re-call the copy if they don't post!).....BUT
can you offer a reward to those who post reviews? Can you offer either a free story or even a free book, to anyone posting a review? I can't find anything that says you cannot.. . am I missing something?

message 2: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4254 comments Mod
Amazon is pretty clear that they do not allow this.

message 3: by Christina (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:47AM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) According to the FTC, no, you may not. That is incentivising reviews and is in violation of the guidelines set out by the agency as well as in violation of both Amazon and Goodreads' terms of use. Does this stop people from doing it? No. But remember that getting caught can carry a fine, or in the case of the private businesses, get your account terminated.

message 4: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Strive for organic and honest reviews. Readers will respect those the most.

message 5: by G.G. (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:44AM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...

More precisely this (from the link):

Promotions and Commercial Solicitations
In order to preserve the integrity of Community content, content and activities consisting of advertising, promotion, or solicitation (whether direct or indirect) is not allowed, including:
Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your (or your relative's, close friend's, business associate's, or employer's) products or services.
Creating, modifying, or posting content regarding your competitors' products or services.
Creating, modifying, or posting content in exchange for compensation of any kind (including free or discounted products) or on behalf of anyone else.
Offering compensation or requesting compensation (including free or discounted products) in exchange for creating, modifying, or posting content.
Posting advertisements or solicitations, including URLs with referrer tags or affiliate codes.

and this:

Book authors and publishers may continue to provide free or discounted copies of their books to readers, as long as the author or publisher does not require a review in exchange or attempt to influence the review.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie Gienapp | 45 comments Dwayne wrote: "Strive for organic and honest reviews. Readers will respect those the most."

We ARE striving for that.... just not sure how to get them. We've sent out numerous free copies, but we're not getting the reviews.

message 7: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

I put a little thingy in the back of most of my books asking readers to take a minute to leave a review. Some have done so. I don't worry about those that do not.

message 8: by J. (new)

J. | 10 comments Dwayne wrote: "I put a little thingy in the back of most of my books asking readers to take a minute to leave a review. Some have done so. I don't worry about those that do not."

Same here - just a polite request, nothing too heavy handed.

message 9: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

J. wrote: "Same here - just a polite request, nothing too heavy handed. "

Mine says something like, "You better leave a review and it better be a full five stars or I will kill myself!" Or maybe it's more like, "If you have a free minute, would you please leave a review at..." That sounds more like it. Oh, and I think i said, "I only feed my dogs on days I get reviews."

message 10: by Amie (new)

Amie O'Brien | 280 comments Whenever I'm feeling like an underdog, I do things like watch the movie, "Rudy", and then it puts a little more fuel in my engine.

The compound effect is hard work and it takes a long time before you see hardly any results. But you never know when they might kick in. If you're book is a hidden secret, keep leading people directly to it and believe that it won't be a secret forever. Some of the greatest entrepreneurs in the world have had to do this (and endlessly) in order to get where they are at. But they did get there and now we all know their names. I figure if it's possible for them, it's possible for me too. ;)

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Closing this thread as the topic question has been answered.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.