2021 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
This topic is about The Gift of Fear
2017 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ February > Discussion Post - The Gift of Fear (Gavin de Becker)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Feb 02, 2017 06:21PM) (new) - added it

Nicole (lapetite) | 58 comments So... I am a very anxious person. As you can imagine I'm a little scared of jumping into this book but I'm hoping all the possible anxiety attacks will be worth it, hehe.

Here is the blurb:

In this empowering book, Gavin de Becker, the man Oprah Winfrey calls the US's leading expert on violent behaviour, shows you how to spot even subtle signs of danger - before it's too late. Shattering the myth that most violent acts are unpredictable, de Becker, whose clients include top Hollywood stars and government agencies, offers specific ways to protect yourself and those you love, including: how to act when approached by a stranger; when you should fear someone close to you; what to do if you are being stalked; how to uncover the source of anonymous threats or phone calls; the biggest mistake you can make with a threatening person; and more. Learn to spot the danger signals others miss. It might just save your life.

Anyone else tackling this book for their challenge?

message 2: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I just started it today! I'm only a few pages in but guh this part like hit me immediately.

We have a Department of Justice, but it would be more appropriate to have a department of violence prevention, because that's what we need and that's what we care about. Justice is swell, but safety is survival.

Keri (keri91) | 39 comments I just read this about a week ago. Really informative and I realized a lot of things about my / others behavior. Ready to discuss when you're all finished!

message 4: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (girlcomeundone) | 148 comments i read this maybe...10 years ago and i remember i found it super eye-opening and i still have a copy in my office (i work in sexual violence/child abuse investigation and prevention). looking forward to reading the discussion!

message 5: by Lea (last edited Feb 20, 2017 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lea | 325 comments Mod
In this book, Gavin recommends taking up self-defense lessons. Have you ever tried it?

I was never an athletic person, and I always thought I'd suck at martial arts, but I took up Krav Maga (which has a heavy self-defense component) because of this book. It changed my life, I feel so much more confident and safe now. If you have the opportunity, I really recommend it.

message 6: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I'm on the Occupational Hazards chapter right now and this is killing me because my former (terrible) employer did all of the things they tell you not to do when firing people.

message 7: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (vehiclesshockme) | 78 comments I finished this one a while ago and didn't realize that I hadn't commented about it yet. This really was such a fascinating read and I feel like I'm trying to be a little more aware of my surroundings and signals that people are giving off now. Also holy shit men are horrifying D:

Erica | 2 comments It took me awhile to finish this book but I got really into it at the very end. It was really fascinating and I want to know who all of his clients are (which I guess defeats the purpose), but again, it was just truly fascinating. I am deathly afraid of more people now (uh men) but I'll be more aware of my surroundings and the thoughts I have about why I am afraid in certain situations.