Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Q11 Ratings and reviews

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1801 comments Mod
Ratings and reviews, does this book deserve its place on the list?

message 2: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1801 comments Mod
Nervous Conditions Tsitsi Dangarembga
★★★★

Based in Zimbabwe in the 1960s this is a look at how the women of one extended family are treated by the society they live in.

Our narrator Tambu is a young girl with a brilliant mind whose education is in jeopardy because she is a girl and there is only enough money for one child to be educated so that is spent on her brother.

Nyasha a young girl from Zimbabwe who has spent her early life in England and is struggling to adjust to the way women are treated when she returns to her native country.

We also see life from the point of view of the girls mother and how they have coped with the way life has treated them.

I really enjoyed this book Tambu is a straightforward narrator she pulls no punches and is upfront with the reader from the opening line "I was not sorry when my brother died. Nor am I apologizing for my callousness as you may define it, my lack of feeling. For it is not that at all"

This is a story about what it means to be female in a male dominated culture and the sacrifices women have to make to be who they want to be.

Yes it deserves its place on the list

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1180 comments Mod
Nervous Conditions by Tsitsi Dangarembga
4/5 stars

The story starts “I was not sorry when my brother died”, said by the main character Tambu. I knew when I read this that I was in for a great story, I was not disappointed. “My story is not after all about death, but about my escape and Lucia's; about my mother's and Maiguru's entrapment; and about Nyasha's rebellion”. In hindsight, the author really summed up the story on the first page. The story was filled with strong women which I appreciated. I would like to read the sequel, The Book of Not as I liked the author's writing.

Favorite Quotes.
“The needs and sensibilities of the women in my family were not considered a priority, or even legitimate”. “Accept your lot and enjoy what you can of it”. “I like to think of my transfer to the mission as my reincarnation”. “Femaleness as opposed and inferior to maleness”.

Yes it deserves its place on the list.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1889 comments Rating: 5 Stars
Read: February 2017

I love this book. The author describes the situations of the women closest to her in a male-dominated society and her pursuit of an education, despite the odds. I suspect the novel is semi-autobiographical. I love the author's writing style and how the story is directed toward the reader. Overall, it is a very powerful book that deserves its spot on the list.