Oklahoma Today Book Club discussion

Invisible Man
This topic is about Invisible Man
Our February book!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karlie Ybarra (karliey105) | 12 comments Mod
Did you have to read Invisible Man in school? Whether you did or not, do you feel that it should be required reading? Why or why not?

Anna | 6 comments While I did not have to read Invisible Man in school, the "Battle Royal" section was assigned in a college American Literature course I took. I feel the book would be an important addition to high school or college reading lists, because of the light it sheds on the relationship between African Americans and whites. I think it helps give us a greater degree of understanding, which is always needed.

Karlie Ybarra (karliey105) | 12 comments Mod
I totally agree Anna. I didn't have to read it in high school or college, but I think it would have been an important addition to my curriculum. It's easy for anyone to understand why something like slavery is bad, but if you grew up in a predominately white area (like I did) it's hard to comprehend what it's like to be systematically discriminated against. There are so many small details in this book that really make you feel like you're experiencing the insanity along with the main character.