Steelheart 2017 discussion

Chapter 31-end

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bri (new)

Bri Leibold (brlleibold) | 4 comments What specific themes did the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think he or she is trying to get across to the reader? How did the author try to do this?

message 2: by Lauren (last edited Feb 08, 2017 01:57PM) (new)

Lauren | 8 comments One of the themes in Steelheart is "power corrupts". The book affirms how the Epics are like superheroes, but they are all doing the wrong things. And later on, it's revealed that using the powers made the person "evil". "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to understand. They're what change you." (Sanderson 382). If Megan uses her powers as an illusionist, her mind will "change". What Brandon Sanderson is trying to get across is that there will always be heroes among the villains. Brandon Sanderson kept repeating that David would always think back about how his father had no fear in Steelheart and he believed that one day, there would be heroes yet to come and save us. David's Father even said, "Sometimes, son, you have to help them along...." (Sanderson 374). At the end of Steelheart, David finally understood what this meant.

message 3: by Carson (new)

Carson Wegmann | 6 comments One of the themes in Steelheart is "power corrupts". I think that he was trying to get across that if people get to much power they will abuse it. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to understand. They're what change you." (Sanderson 382).
He showed this by corupting megan

message 4: by Max (new)

Max Bunney | 3 comments one theme in steelheart is power corrupts. The book emphasis how epics are like superheros but just doing the wrong things, And later on it is said using the power made them ''Evil''. '' Meghan changed when she used her powers too, I thought but she changed Became brasher, more arrogant, even more hateful.'' (Sanderson 379)

message 5: by Carson (new)

Carson Wegmann | 6 comments Max wrote: "one theme in steelheart is power corrupts. The book emphasis how epics are like superheros but just doing the wrong things, And later on it is said using the power made them ''Evil''. '' Meghan cha..."

You are right she got less understanding when she used her powers. It almost killed David because she was not thinking and using her powers.

message 6: by Gautham (new)

Gautham Suresh | 8 comments One of the important themes in Steelheart is that power corrupts people. This is shown because Epics have power like this and it changes them. I think the author was trying to get across the point that having having too much power causes people to abuse it. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to understand. They're what change you." (Sanderson 382).

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 8 comments Gautham wrote: "One of the important themes in Steelheart is that power corrupts people. This is shown because Epics have power like this and it changes them. I think the author was trying to get across the point ..."

It is true that if you have too much power, you can become corrupt. Even Prof said that when he uses his powers he will be rude, snappy, and dangerous. Megan has the same effects as Prof does when she uses her powers. Good grammar and quote.

message 8: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 8 comments The author emphasized that power corrupts. He is trying to get through to readers that with power comes responsibility. The author does this by having powerful Epics corrupting the government. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to understand. They're what change you." (Sanderson 382). By using her powers Megan becomes more and more corrupt.

message 9: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 8 comments Carson wrote: "One of the themes in Steelheart is "power corrupts". I think that he was trying to get across that if people get to much power they will abuse it. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to..." Yes, this is also why Prof didn't want to use his powers. He knew that power corrupts.

message 10: by Gautham (new)

Gautham Suresh | 8 comments Carson wrote: "One of the themes in Steelheart is "power corrupts". I think that he was trying to get across that if people get to much power they will abuse it. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to..."

I agree with you. When Megan used her powers she became more ignorant and brasher.

message 11: by Kain (new)

Kain Wempen | 6 comments The author emphasized that the power you have, the stronger you are. He shows this by making epics take over the country/world. "Don't use your powers, Megan. Please. You have to understand. They're what change you." (Sanderson 382). When Megan uses her powers she becomes more evil.