Steelheart 2017 discussion

Chapter 1-13

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bri (new)

Bri Leibold (brlleibold) | 4 comments What is unique about the setting of the book and how does it enhance or take away from the story?

message 2: by Kain (new)

Kain Wempen | 6 comments What is unique about the setting of the book is that Newcago is made of steel and there are hundreds of epics roaming around with all sorts of powers. Newcago is today's Chicago and is the main city of the world.

message 3: by Lauren (last edited Feb 06, 2017 10:42AM) (new)

Lauren | 8 comments What is unique about the setting of the book is that the City of Newcago, modern day Chicago, is completely made from steel and it is dark constantly. There are powerful people called Epics that have many different powers. Some have the power to create illusions, and some have physical powers like the power to control fire. There are many Epics, but there are few High Epics. For example, Steelheart is the ruler of Newcago, he made it all steel. There is also Nightwielder, who makes the sky in Newcago dark all the time. They seem pretty invincible, but every Epic has their weakness. "Well, let's use his weakness, then. I know you know what it is-otherwise you'd never have gotten those handcuffs on him." (Sanderson 39-40) When regular people suddenly have extremely dominant powers, they want everything. They who were once normal, need more power. Few have hope that the Epics will save us from the corrupt society. Very few.

message 4: by Gautham (new)

Gautham Suresh | 8 comments What is unique about the setting is that in the city of Newcago everything is made of steel and there is no sunlight at all. Powerful people with special powers like the ability to create illusions or kill people by just pointing at them. Epics have control over the entire world but all Epics have a weakness. There are very few High Epics, for example Steelheart or Firefight. Epics don't have emotions and will do anything to get what they want. Most people think they are corrupt but some believe that the Epics will still save them. "You aren't like the others, I can see it." (Sanderson 9).

message 5: by Carson (new)

Carson Wegmann | 6 comments The setting is unique because it is in Newcago, modern day Chicago. It is completely made from steel and it is dark constantly. there is a under ground city that is made up of all the poor people in the city. The ruler is a powerful epic named steel heart. The group the reckoners they try to take down epics like Fortunity. "Well, let's use his weakness, then. I know you know what it is-otherwise you'd never have gotten those handcuffs on him." (Sanderson 39-40) I think it would be bad to live there.

message 6: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 8 comments The setting is unique because it is in the city of Newcago, in present day Chicago. The United States has been taken over by Epics. Epics are powerful beings who posses special abilities/powers. Steelheart transformed the city of Newcago by turning it all into steel. There is a special group of people called the Reckoners, who hunt Epics. "Nobody else tries! You're the only ones left." (Sanderson). The Reckoners are the only people left to hunt Epics.

message 7: by Lauren (last edited Feb 08, 2017 01:31PM) (new)

Lauren | 8 comments Rohan wrote: "The setting is unique because it is in the city of Newcago, in present day Chicago. The United States has been taken over by Epics. Epics are powerful beings who posses special abilities/powers. St..."

Good point, I never really thought about that. Nobody really will fight Epics, but the Reckoners. The book even said that no one tried to harm the Epics in any ways. Everyone knew they would be risking their lives for no reason at all. Good summary, and perfect grammar.

message 8: by Max (last edited Feb 10, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

Max Bunney | 3 comments the setting unique because the whole city is steel and used to be Chicago but has been renamed newcago, after the epic steelheart took over the city a epic are powerful people with special abilities. I think the setting makes the story really unique because having it made of steel and having the underground tunnels and stuff gives many more possibilities for the way the author can change the story.

message 9: by Carson (new)

Carson Wegmann | 6 comments Lauren wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book is that the City of Newcago, modern day Chicago, is completely made from steel and it is dark constantly. There are powerful people called Epics that ha..."

I like this because you mention the main bad guy

message 10: by Rohan (new)

Rohan | 8 comments Kain wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book is that Newcago is made of steel and there are hundreds of epics roaming around with all sorts of powers. Newcago is today's Chicago and is the main cit..." Yes, the city of Chicago was transformed by Steelheart on the day of Annexation.

message 11: by Gautham (new)

Gautham Suresh | 8 comments Kain wrote: "What is unique about the setting of the book is that Newcago is made of steel and there are hundreds of epics roaming around with all sorts of powers. Newcago is today's Chicago and is the main cit..."
Steelheart turned the whole city into steel.