The Drawing of Three > 2. Shuffle & The Lady of Shadows

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily Cait (new)

Emily Cait | 70 comments Mod
:)

message 2: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Etheridge | 8 comments Spoilers
Odetta and Detta are so well realized! The thought of each of them not knowing about each other, but still somehow knowing. When they finally merge to Susannah, it is all the more powerful! King does such a good job at making you hate Detta! She gets under your skin the same way as she does Eddie's.

message 3: by Artur (new)

Artur | 6 comments Patrick wrote: "Spoilers
... When they finally merge to Susannah, it is all the more powerful..."

This was very unnecessary. Please keep these comments to yourself until the appropriate book/chapter comes along.

message 4: by Artur (new)

Artur | 6 comments > Shuffle
~ So I’m not yet enamoured with this book, but it’s getting better. First question. What do the ‘shuffles’ mean? I didn’t see any logic to their sequence. What or who is being shuffled?
~ This was probably my favourite part of this chapter: “The gunslinger knew what was in Eddie’s mind before Eddie knew it himself.."

> The Lady of Shadows
“..the perfect schizophrenic - if there was such a person - would be a man or woman not only unaware of his other persona(e), but one unaware that anything at all was amiss in his or her life. Adler should have met Detta Walker and Odetta Holmes.” Wow. For me, this was just as captivating as the first sentence of the series. You know the one.
~ This was again different than expected. I expected the second door to lead Roland to a different time period but, I was expecting him to interact with that world again. Instead, they had to deal with Odetta/Detta’s world’s nuances in their own world. I enjoyed when Eddie comments that if the wheelchair was from his time (1987 or something) then it’d weigh a lot less..
~ I’m quite curious about how the movie will deal with their relationship with Detta since Roland was cast to a black actor. It changes the dynamics a bit. Also, what is King's obsession with candles, huh? xD
~ The comment “You’re finally the Pusher” referring to Eddie makes me wonder if there is any connection to the next chapter. It’d be interesting if the third door took them to a different time period but still back to Eddie and we’d somehow get two versions of him. Or, Odetta and Detta count as two and we have our Three already.
~ It was also in this chapter that we really start to see Roland and Eddie become close. Throughout the chapter Eddie makes a bigger and bigger effort to push the Lady alone because he sees Roland getting worse, and then there is that great exchange at the end of the IV.12, and then their exchange about Ka on IV.14. They are both adapting to each other’s vocabulary and becoming friends, which is already quite a ways compared to Eddie nearly killing Roland near the second door.
~ King is definitely character driven and I’m definitely more interested in seeing how the group evolves than in the actual plot. At least for now. This book seems very focused on further creating the environment, and I assume the plot will eventually become more relevant in the next books.

message 5: by Emily Cait (new)

Emily Cait | 70 comments Mod
Artur wrote: "> Shuffle
~ So I’m not yet enamoured with this book, but it’s getting better. First question. What do the ‘shuffles’ mean? I didn’t see any logic to their sequence. What or who is being shuffled?
..."

I haven't looked into casting for the adaptation yet. (I wanted to picture the characters for myself.) But I can see that definitely changing the dynamics between Roland and Detta.

I'm finding myself often wondering how they will approach some of these situations for an adaptation...

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Etheridge | 8 comments Just now seeing your comments. It was not my intention to ruin your experience. I will say, that I added "Spoilers" before I wrote anything. You chose to read dispite this. Emily, if there is a way I can post about sections with spoilers another way, I will be happy to. I will defer that decision to you, as it is your group.

message 7: by Ľudmila (new)

Ľudmila | 15 comments Patrick wrote: "Just now seeing your comments. It was not my intention to ruin your experience. I will say, that I added "Spoilers" before I wrote anything. You chose to read dispite this. Emily, if there is a way..."

I understood this sections were here so we wouldn't need to worry about spoilers :) If you wanted to mention Susannah you could do it in section for the chapter it happened in. When The Lady of Shadows ended, there wasn't Susannah yet. I believe that was what Artur meant. Maybe if you read the whole book already, and you are not sure when some of the events happened, write your comments on it to the last section. :)