Dark Tower Project 2017 discussion

The Drawing of Three > 1. Prologue & The Prisoner

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily Cait (new)

Emily Cait | 70 comments Mod
To help with avoiding spoilers I've broken the discussion down into the book sections. :)

message 2: by Ľudmila (new)

Ľudmila | 15 comments After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D

message 3: by Artur (new)

Artur | 6 comments Ľudmila wrote: "After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D"

I didn't read the Little Sisters but this is not at all what I was expecting after The Gunslinger.

I'm not sure if I totally understand yet what is going on. I read the first book at some point in 2016 and decided not to go back in January so I kicked off here, so I don't quite remember the passage at the end with the Man in Black and the cards.

Now I imagine 2 other doors will appear for the other two characters and I'm wondering if the people he "collects" in the previous doors will now be able to go through the door with the others, and I'm also curious to see if the doors lead to the same time period/city/etc..

One way or the other I already ordered The Waste Lands so it seems I'll continue reading :)

message 4: by Ľudmila (new)

Ľudmila | 15 comments Artur wrote: "Ľudmila wrote: "After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D"

I didn't read the Little Sisters but this is not at all what I was expecting after The Gunsli..."

Yes, it is interesting to see what and who will be behind the door but I was looking forward to see more of Roland's world. I like that the characters are far from good or evil, they are just human with all of it.

message 5: by Emily Cait (last edited Feb 13, 2017 07:52AM) (new)

So I really enjoyed this first section of the book. But I'm wondering if I only liked it because it felt more like a SK horror novel than the epic fantasy/western feel Gunslinger was trying to have. Like going through the door and bringing the magical into our world feels familiar within King's body of works. Something super-natural within the realm of the mundane. I'm curious to see what happens with the other doors (like Artur, I'm assuming that Roland will encounter two other doors and draw two other people into his adventure).

I'm a little worried once we go back to spending all of our time within the fantasy setting that I'll go back to not loving it :s

message 6: by Emily Cait (new)

Ľudmila wrote: "After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D"

I'm kinda glad Drawing of the Three isn't anything like The Gunslinger... :P

message 7: by Emily Cait (new)

Artur wrote: "Ľudmila wrote: "After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D"

I didn't read the Little Sisters but this is not at all what I was expecting after The Gunsli..."

"I'm also curious to see if the doors lead to the same time period/city/etc.." --- I'm also curious about this, Artur. Will Roland collect people from our mundane world? Other parallel fantasy worlds?

message 8: by Ľudmila (new)

Ľudmila | 15 comments Emily Cait wrote: "Ľudmila wrote: "After Little Sisters of Eluria and The Gunslinger I definitely did not expect this :D"

I'm kinda glad Drawing of the Three isn't anything like The Gunslinger... :P"

Me too, it's more interesting and easier to read. Only I expected it to be full fantasy, and this book is more centered around our world than Roland's as far as I got. Drug smuggling and New York City mafia really surprised me :D. I read just a few of King's books so I wasn't sure if this series will be similar to his other works or if it will be different.

message 9: by Patrycja (new)

Patrycja Swiercz | 2 comments So far, this book is a much quicker read than The Gunslinger and I feel like Eddie will definitely be an interesting character and so will his relationship with Roland.