Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 archive > February challenge: I finished!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments This thread is to mark your completion of the February challenge for the prompt: "a book by a person of color." You can join in with the group read of The Underground Railroad or pick a different book to satisfy this challenge.

Please include the following:
Title:
Author:
Why you selected:
Would you recommend:

No other posts in this thread please!

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Author: Colson Whitehead
Why you selected: I had gotten the physical book over the holidays and was planning to read it sometime. This seemed like the perfect time!
Would you recommend: Yes. It is a hard read, but important. Sometimes it is scary to look history straight in the face, but we need to do it.
Date Finished: 2/4/17

message 3: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: Have wanted to read this one since it was published. Picked it for my "in real life" book club for February and love that we picked it for the February group read!
Would you recommend: Yes. Need to dissect it a little more with my bookish friends (including everyone here) but overall I think it teaches/reminds us of important lessons/history.

I found Colson Whitehead to be a wonderful writer and storyteller. This is the first book of his I've read.

message 4: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 115 comments Title: Man Tiger
Author: Eka Kurniawan
Why you selected: Book club book I didn't get around to last year
Would you recommend: yes, ish. I gave it 3 stars. It's not a pleasant story but it's written in an interesting way. The time jumps were a little hard to follow though.
Finished: 2-5-17

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Bowder | 49 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: It was the February group read
Would you recommend: I would recommend it to someone looking for a heavy read historical fiction book.
Date Finished: 2-4-17

message 6: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Hall Title: The Underground Railroad

Why Selected: Nearly everytime I've walked into a bookshop since this was published I've seen it as part of a display. It has always drawn my eye but as I had set up my challenges for last year I was reluctant to put it in a pile in case it distracted me ... I had Amazon Vouchers for Christmas and downloaded it on my Kindle...

Would you Recommend: I would definitely recommend this book - I flew through it, as a nighttime read before bed ... It was a wonderful narrative on escaping slaves and I found myself becoming as wary as Cora throughout, as just when it seems she settles all Hell breaks loose ... The Historian in me was fascinated with the History ... Definitely read this book if you get the chance it is Brilliant

Thegirlintheafternoon Title: Juliet Takes a Breath
Author: Gabby Rivera
Why you selected: I got my library to purchase it last year when it came out, but I hadn't read it until this January (I read it a little early because it was the January read for Bustle's American Woman Book Club).
Would you recommend: Definitely! Juliet's voice was so strong and clear, and while I think it needed an edit to tone down some of the more textbook-y passages, it's a gorgeous, thoughtful book.

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 3 comments Title: The Twelve Tribes of Hattie
Author: Ayana Mathis
Why you selected: This book fit the category and it's been on my TBR for a while. Also, Oprah told me to :-)
Would you recommend: Yes, I would recommend this book. I didn't love it, but it kept me interested. It was a very fast read.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisgitt) | 8 comments Title: Bad Feminist
Author: Roxane Gay
Why you selected: I had mixed feelings about her novel, but loved her writing style. This book has been on my TBR, and I read some good reviews here.
Would you recommend: Yes, absolutely.

Antonia E Iacampo | 15 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why You Selected: It was the February group read and I wanted to participate in the discussion
Would you recommend: No, not really. I didn't really care for it. I felt like it had the makings of a great book, but the author didn't quite get it there.

message 11: by Luz (new)

Luz Trevino (luztrevino) | 6 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
I read this book as the February Challenge.
I would recommend this book. Some parts were hard to follow because of the moving from time to time. The author's way of writing was interesting. He sometimes wrote Cora's story in a way that it felt detached. I can see why though. During those times it was different to get close to someone. You wouldn't know if you would see him/her the next day. It was a sad story to follow, but this is part of our history.

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Evans Title: Milk and Honey
Author: Rupi Kaur
I chose this book because i had been curious about it for a long time. I also chose it because the introduction talked about the authors heritage so it seemed like a good idea for the category.
I would definitely recommend this book. It had beautiful and heart breaking poetry. Amazing

message 13: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 345 comments Title: Americanah
Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Why you selected: It has been on my TBR list for a while, and my library hold request came in just at the right time.
Would you recommend: Yes! I liked it even more than I expected, that that's accounting for the people at my work who had recommended it. It provides some interesting insight into the complexities of black culture in the US (i.e. African American vs. American African), the immigrant/returnee experience, has a great voice, and a very relatable protagonist. When I was doing something else, I traded off the Kindle for narration (WhisperSync with Audible) and the narrator is great too.

message 14: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairetastrophe) | 9 comments The Underground Railroad by: Colson Whitehead

I chose it because it was the chosen book. It was on my TBR list, so win for me. I loved this book, I have already recommended this book to others.

message 15: by Asia_k (new)

Asia_k | 53 comments Title: The Color Purple
Author: Alice Walker
Why you selected: I've seen it on some list of books to read before you die, and was afraid to read it when I was younger.
Would you recommend:Yes! It was a fast read and the short letters made it easy to read just a bit or 'just a bit more' before I went to sleep. And there was nothing to be afraid of (I remember the description at the back cover mentioned violence, that was something that made me put the book away when I was 16, but it was much less violent than I expected).

message 16: by Emanuel (last edited Feb 11, 2017 04:32AM) (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments olá. for february prompt I read two books: Diz que és um Deles by Uwem Akpan from Uwen Akpan and O Assobiador by Ondjaki , first I have since I saw on TV, recomended by Oprah, the second I have it for too long wayting for my pick, and it was for this challenge. I recomend both, but a special effort for the second, because is a lusofone author.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 10 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: It was February's group read and on my TBR
Would you recommend: Yes, I thought it was excellent.

message 18: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Title:Milk and Honey
Author: Rupi Kaur
Why you selected: I heard good things from other readers in this group and I was curious to read some modern poetry.
Would you recommend:I think that this would be a good pick if you haven't read much poetry previously like me. I liked some poems more than others but it made me want to find more contemporary poetry to read. I count that in the book's favor!

message 19: by Jessi (new)

Jessi | 24 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: February's group read
Would you recommend: Yes - I really enjoyed it and think it's a good read for someone wanting to read historical fiction who doesn't really like historical fiction.

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: It was the PopSugar book of the month, and it sounded very interesting!
Would you recommend: Definitely! It is a very difficult read, in terms of the detail, rather than the writing, but totally totally worth it!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Tupaea | 41 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why did I read: picked this up since it was part of the monthly group read and really glad i did! Good choice team!! I loved this book. I sometimes find books on slavery infuriate me to the point of almost not wanting to finish them as it fills me full of shame for the human race. This book had its fair share of abhorrent reaction but also had strong sense of strength and hope within it which kept me glued to it till the end.
Would I recommend? Definitely

message 22: by Melanie (last edited Feb 11, 2017 06:24PM) (new)

Melanie An Ember in the Ashes
by Sabaa Tahir

Why? It has been on my TBR-owned for a while, and I have a secondary goal: to complete this whole challenge without buying any books. I am relying on the library and my extensive unread collections. Also, I just have NO desire to read The Underground Railroad.

Recommend? Definitely to YA fans. The book's greatest strength is its well crafted and expertly revealed world-building. The language is often beautiful, the theme is well developed, and the pacing is good. It is romancey but not overly so.

message 23: by Mirel (new)

Mirel | 168 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
why chosen: suggested book of the month, so went for it
Would I recommend it: Yes, with reservations. I thought the book was an interesting read, at times deep and brilliant, at times questionable and confusing. I was also bothered by the fictionalization of the underground railroad, because it left me wondering what else had been fictionalized. This could have been solved simply enough with an afterword of some sort, but didn't have one.

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 617 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: On a whim, because it was the monthly group read. I actually didn't have a ton of interest in reading it beforehand, but decided to give it a chance because of all the hype around it.
Would you recommend: Honestly, not really. It was technically well-written, but I didn't enjoy it very much and reading it felt like a chore!

message 25: by Aparajita (new)

Aparajita Raychaudhury (aparajir) | 24 comments Title: The Underground Railroad

Why you chose the book: It was voted the February group read ... Didn't wanna miss out on the discussion

Would you recommend it: No, don't think so. The narration style did not work for me, and many parts of the story seemed too far fetched.

message 26: by Ashley (last edited Feb 13, 2017 03:27AM) (new)

Ashley | 73 comments Title: The Underground Railroad

Why you selected: I bought this right when it came out, but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet. I read it with the February selection, and it fits the book with a red spine prompt.

Would you recommend: Yes!! At first, Cora's emotional distance made it hard to connect. Then, it comes to be part of the story. Almost like you had to be emotionally closed off to survive the horrors she did. The story haunted my dreams.

message 27: by Sue (new)

Sue | 25 comments Title: The Color Purple

Author: Alice Walker

Why you selected: It's been on my to-read list forever. I actually own the book.

Would you recommend: This is a difficult story to read (I've seen the movie so I knew what to expect). The writing itself is solid and easy but the themes are depressing and certainly not for young readers. It's not a book I will read a second time.

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  Byley | 10 comments Title: Twelve Years a Slave

Author: Solomon Northup

Why you selected: It has been on my TBR list for a while.

Would you recommend: Yes, It was a well written story that captured what it was like to be a slave in the 1800"s.

message 29: by AF (new)

AF | 319 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Author: by Colson Whitehead
Why you selected: I wanted to read it, and then it was chosen for the group read.
Would you recommend: Yes! We need to know what happened in our past so we don't repeat in the future.

message 30: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments Finished 2/14/17

Title:The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: Monthly Group Read
Would you recommend: Yes, but I not to everyone.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Heaney | 193 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: Monthly group pick
Would you recommend: Yes I would recommend to other readers as gave an interesting insight to a difficult topic. I gave it 3/5 stars.

message 32: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 31 comments Title: Pointe

Author: Brandy Colbert

Why you selected: I'd originally planned to read The Underground Railroad along with the group, but the wait list at the library is astronomical (there are still 20+ people ahead of me, and I've been on the list since we voted on it!!). Pointe has been on my TBR list for awhile, so this seemed like a good time.

Would you recommend: yes! It wasn't a comfortable book to read, but it was important, and well written, and I really did like Theo (even when I had to shake my head at her choices; although a big part of that is her being 17 and me being 38!! :) ).

message 33: by Yvette (new)

Yvette Roberts | 18 comments Title: Americanah
Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Why you selected: It had been sitting unread in my kindle for some months, so I decided to finally dive into it last week.
Would you recommend: Definitely! This is the second novel I've read by this author, and both have been outstanding. In certain parts I found myself getting a little emotional. It's a really strong novel for looking at race and culture.

message 34: by poshpenny (last edited Feb 21, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

poshpenny | 1567 comments Title: Time Traveler: A Scientist's Personal Mission to Make Time Travel a Reality
Author: Dr. Ronald Mallett
Why you selected: Quantum physics and time travel? What's not to like?
Would you recommend: Yes

I also read the February group book. I had to re-arrange things on my list to get it to fit but right now it's my red spine.

Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: February group read
Would you recommend: I wouldn't stop anyone from reading it, but I would have preferred more history, less fiction. I feel many people will read this and believe more of this is fact than really is true.

message 35: by Sam (last edited Feb 22, 2017 03:30AM) (new)

Sam George | 26 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: It was suggested as a book by a person of colour, then came up as the February challenge, so I chose it read it now.
Would you recommend: Yes, it gives good insight into a difficult part of history that many are possibly not aware of.

message 36: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments I read Diz que és um Deles andO Assobiador, I recomend both. I have this two a some time and this year was the time perfect.

message 37: by Giulia (last edited Feb 23, 2017 10:13AM) (new)

Giulia | 39 comments Title: The Sellout
Author: Paul Beatty
Why you selected: It was mentioned in the "book by a person of color" topic
Would you recommend: Yes, it's a very interesting and provocative book, but given its satirical content and lack of real plot it's probably not for everybody.

message 38: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (pandalovesyou) | 6 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: February challenge book
Would you recommend: I thought it was a good book. The jumping around with the timeline was confusing. I could have done without that.

message 39: by Errlee (new)

Errlee | 131 comments Hi guys - I posted this over on the poll for the March book as well, but thought I would repost here since there is more activity. Was trying to find out what book is being read for March since I am just joining in now. It looks like Hidden Figures won the poll but I couldn't find any kind of official announcement or any thread mentioning the March read. I need some time to get it from the library . Am I missing something?

Thanks.

message 40: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa Hidden Figures definitely won, I'm assuming they'll wait until March 1 to make the thread? But that is the winning book. :)

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Title: Everything, Everything
Author: Nicola Yoon
Why you selected: I kept hearing it was good. When I saw it in the library I realized it would be a fast read and I needed that right now as I'm plowing through some tougher classics.
Would you recommend: Yes.

message 42: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Title: the Underground Railroad
Why: wanted to read it with the group
Recommend?

I liked it, it was heartbreaking of course but I thought it was very good. I'd recommend it.

message 43: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Title: Everything, Everything

Why you selected: The movie comes out this year, it was a quick read, and out of the three books I had in mind for this category this one came through the library first.

Would you recommend: Yes, even though I saw the plot line coming. It was still a fast read and was enjoyable.

message 44: by Camille (last edited Feb 27, 2017 08:45AM) (new)

Camille | 7 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: February's Group Read
Would you recommend: Yes, I liked the story overall but found parts of it hard to get through. I did find the idea of the underground railroad actually being underground interesting.

I also read Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. I enjoyed it more.

message 45: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Benoit (theliteraryluminary) Title: The Sun Is Also a Star
Why you selected: I usually participate in the group read, but I just read Underground Railroad a few months ago. I had voted for The Sun Is Also A Star because the synopsis had caught my attention.
Would you recommend: ABSOLUTELY. It was so beautiful. I cried at the end. In a good way. It's just a lovely, uplifting story. Five stars.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: I wanted to participate in Feb's group reading
Would you recommend: Yes, though I did find the book to feel a little impersonal.

message 47: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 227 comments Title: The Underground Railroad
Why you selected: It was February's pick and I liked the plot when I read about it.
Would you recommend: Yes.

message 48: by Gurleen (new)

Gurleen | 8 comments The Underground Railroad
by Colson Whitehead
Read it as a part of February book.
Beautifully written but I found it a hard going. Would I recommend it? Yes but depending on the person.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.