Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Weekly checkins > Week 5: 1/27-2/2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Juanita (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:05AM) (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Things are crazy in my little corner of the world. Hoping for some normalcy soon but probably a month away from that. Through it all, reading continues to be my solace. Even when the subject matter is dark as it is with our group read for February The Underground Railroad. I realized that reading this book makes me angry and affects my mood and temper. How powerful. Probably good that I've been pacing myself with 30-50 pages a day rather than locking myself in a room and reading it in one sitting like I want to do.

On to the check in, last week I read Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller for "author from a country you haven't visited". If you haven't read Fuller and you like memoirs/biographies, she is an amazing writer. This book is more about her mother Nicola Fuller, who has also led an exciting and, at time, heart breaking life.

I realized upon reading this book that Fuller was born in England even though she lived in Africa (Rhodesia) from age 3 to adulthood so ... technically I've been to England. I might have to move some categories around. It will certainly work for "an interesting woman".

I'm also listening to the audio book of Born a Crime by Trevor Noah from The Daily Show, which I don't watch anymore. I got this free from Audible.com and everyone here has been raving about it so I've been listening to it for my "audio book" prompt. Probably not good for my blood pressure to read The Underground Railroad about American slavery and listen to a book with a firsthand account of South African apartheid at the same time.

This brings me to 4/40; 1/12. I expect to finish The Underground Railroad this weekend (maybe even tomorrow).

Question of the week:
Are you a Bookstagrammer? If you are an Instagram user, you can use the hashtag #popsugarreadingchallenge in your posts about what you are reading.

I'm very excited about a February IG challenge that Book Riot is sponsoring. The
Bookstagram Riotgram Challenge offers 28 book/reading-themed prompts for you to photograph and upload to your Instagram account.

You can find me @juanitavor.

Happy reading everyone!

message 2: by Mike (last edited Feb 02, 2017 06:56AM) (new)

Mike | 443 comments Just finished my Audiobook In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox and discovered that audiobooks aren't all that bad after all! When I listen in my car I open up more reading opportunities, which will make it more likely that I can finish this challenge. The book itself was good, but tended to get long-winded when Carol was describing her favorite skits. Recommended if you are a fan of her variety show.

That being said, I've decided to tackle my reread prompts with audiobooks to get a different perspective. I am now about an hour into Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal for my Never Fails to Make You Smile.

Finally, started our February Group Read The Underground Railroad. Uncomfortable and infuriating, but Mr. Whitehead sure knows how to tell a story. It did take me about 30 pages to get used to his style, though.

6/40, 7/52

QOTW: Not on Instagram, and don't plan to join anytime soon. You all can go on and have fun without me.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:04AM) (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Last week I was super close to finishing I Will Always Write Back: How One Letter Changed Two Lives. I officially completed that last Thursday. I'm going to use that as my book of letters.

I finished reading Thursdays at Eight for my book with a day/month in title. I really enjoyed this one and found that I could relate to all four of the characters.

I started listening to Letters from Skye. I wanted to have that done by this check-in but its been busy at work and I'm constantly getting interrupted with listening. Ugh - responsibilities. I love the audio book though. I could listen to their accents all day.

I'm at 4/52.

QOTW I'm not a booksagrammer but I do love Instagram. I follow a couple book related accounts along with a lot of dog accounts - they are too stinkin cute! I'm going to give you a follow Juanita!

message 4: by Brooke (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:06AM) (new)

Brooke | 272 comments Hello all from Dallas! I didn’t have any big commitments this week and had the house to myself in the evenings, so I was able to get back in my reading groove. Coincidentally (*wink*) I feel much more relaxed and peaceful. And it looks like it will be like this for at least the near future.

I was happy to check 2 books/prompts off the list this week since I didn’t finish any last week. The first is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for the book recommended by a librarian prompt. Wow is all I can say. I never read this book in the 80’s when it was first published, but Atwood was able to somehow see into the future and tell a story that is still freaking me out. The second book I finished is The Princess Bride by William Goldman for the story within a story prompt. Since Goldman also wrote the screenplay for the movie, much of the dialogue is the same for both. However, there were parts of the story that were much more detailed in the book than the movie, I assume simply for the sake of time.

I am still reading:
The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer – a novel set during wartime
Word of Honor by Nelson DeMille – a book that is 800+ pages long (this one is going to take a while to finish)
The Good Girl – a book with an unreliable narrator

At the moment I am 6/52. I hope I can keep this momentum! Not too bad – for me – for the first couple of days of February.

QOTW: I am on Instagram (@JayhawkBrooke1) but don't use it as often as I should. I'll check out the challenge!

message 5: by Nadine (last edited Feb 02, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Nadine Jones | 5255 comments Mod
Happy Thursday! I can't believe it's Thursday already!! Here in NY we are back to more wintry weather, a little bit of snow on the ground. We usually measure our snow in feet here, but I don't think my neighbor plowed my driveway at all in January!

This week I finished four books, three for the Challenge, I think I'm 14/52 now.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History by Stephen Jay Gould for "book with subtitle" - this was FAR more detailed than I anticipated, so I didn't enjoy it, because I just don't know a lot of the terminology.

PM/AM: New and Selected Poems - a wonderful collection of poems from Linda Pastan, not for the challenge.

The Wicked City by Beatriz Williams - this is published in 2017, but I decided to use it for "set in two time periods." This was just okay. I was disappointed, it wasn't nearly as good as A Hundred Summers

Everneath by Brodi Ashton - for "based on mythology" - this was a completely ridiculous book and I'm kind of amazed that I actually finished it. There is No Way I'm reading the rest of the series.

I'm also reading The Underground Railroadright now - amazingly, a copy became available for me at my library! - and it is a fantastic and powerful book. I was a little underwhelmed by Zone One and I usually don't like Oprah picks, so I wasn't expecting much, but I can tell this is going to be 5 stars for me.

QOTW I have an Instagram account but I rarely use it. Next time I log in I will look you up!

message 6: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Bonjour from cold Montréal,

It's been a really slow week at work, but a fun one with the kids. Tomorrow we're going for the inscription of my youngest to kindergarden. I have no baby anymore.

Only one book to report this week: In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom. I planned to use it for Book with a subtitle prompt, but it may fit perfectly with interesting woman also. It was eye-opening and I liked it very much.

I am now reading The Girl with All the Gifts for another group. I really like it so far, a different twist on a common genre. Will fit no prompt.

I am now at 5/40.

QOTW: Same answer than Mike. Not on instagram and will not join in the near future.

message 7: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 49 comments Hello everyone!

Since the last check-in, I have finished two books. The first, My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem. I gave it 4 stars just because of who the author is, however, the text itself I would give 3 stars. Some parts were interesting, but overall I just wasn't that compelled by it.

The second book I finished was last month's group read The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon. I finished it one day late (Feb 1!) but I'm glad I read it none the less. It was way out of my comfort zone but was really gripping and definitely creeped me out. Total so far is 4/52. I will slot my books into specific prompts as the year goes on. I want to keep my options open as much as I can!

I am currently still reading The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon and this month's group read The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead. I expect to be done with The Underground Railroad within the next day or two, but not sure when I will finish The Fiery Cross. It seems to be a book I read when I'm in between other books, but we will see.

QOTW: I do not have a Bookstagram. However, lately I have been really into watching people's videos on Booktube. I love the hauls and wrap-ups every month. They give me so many good book recommendations!

Happy reading everyone!

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Juanita wrote: "...last week I read Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller for "author from a country you haven't visited". ..."

I think it counts. Although she was born in England and later moved to the US as an adult, she is "from" the former Rhodesia, and that's what her first books were about.

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy I am reading The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake for the prompt a book about food. The premise it that a little girl realizes that she can taste the emotions of the cook in the food she eats. It's interesting so far and I'm about half way through.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Nadine wrote: "Juanita wrote: "...last week I read Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller for "author from a country you haven't visited". ..."

I think it counts. Although she was born in England and later moved to the US as an adult, she is "from" the former Rhodesia, and that's what her first books were about...."

I agree with Nadine. There can be a difference between where you were born and where you are from. I think it still qualifies :)

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments Hi all!! I've been sick this week which unfortunately with 2 under 3 does not mean laying in bed reading all day anymore lol
I didn't finish anything but made really good progress on 2 or 3 so I anticipate finishing at least 2, probably 3, for next weeks check in. I also finally got Winter People from the library just in time to not read it for the January challenge! Oh well on the bright side i almost definitely won't get the Underground Railroad in time either

message 12: by Mie (new)

Mie | 28 comments Hello there :-)

Happy to say, that I finished 3 books in the last week for the Popsugar challenge! Now at 11/40.

Calvin and Hobbes for a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read - hadn't read a comic book since childhood, haha...
The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo for a book about an interesting woman - never heard about her before, but I LIKE her!!!
Reunion in Barsaloi for a book involving travel - indeed an interesting woman as well! I really enjoyed the whole trilogy :-)

QOTW: I don't really use instagram anymore...

message 13: by Thegirlintheafternoon (last edited Feb 02, 2017 08:13AM) (new)

Thegirlintheafternoon Hello everyone! I made it through 4 books this week, but none for this challenge, so I'm holding steady at 7/40.

All 4 of the books I finished this week were for the Around the Year Challenge, which brings me to me 8/52: Excellent Women for a Penguin Modern Classic, You'll Grow Out of It for a title that doesn't contain the letter "e," The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue for a book published in 2017, and The Sun Is Also a Star for a book with at least two perspectives.

I'm currently reading Year of Wonders, which I'm not sure how I'll use just yet, and re-reading Désirée for Popsugar's book with a title that's a character's name.

I finished The Underground Railroad on New Year's Eve, and it joined the very short list of books that made me spontaneously burst into tears on the final page, simply because the ending was so perfect.

QOTW: I've never wanted an Instagram before, but the thought of using it as a #bookstagram is so tempting!

message 14: by Lindi (last edited Feb 07, 2017 01:58PM) (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) I finished four (yes, four!) books this week. But only one fulfills a prompt.

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini for "a book with a subtitle". I listened to this one on audiobook and I think Leah did a great job of reading it. She brought a lot of her personality to the table, and of course the parts about scientology were equally horrifying and fascinating. (Thanks for the share Juanita!)

The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher. This filled "a juicy memoir" for the Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading for Fun challenge. I listened to this one as well, specifically because it is read by Carrie herself. It was a little hard to follow at parts, and the flow of events seemed a bit choppy. The actual book is pretty short, so I picked up the hard copy from the library hoping I'll feel differently reading through it. Regardless, this was entertaining and made me miss Carrie even more. Rest in peace.

I also finished Little House on the Prairie which didn't fill any prompts. I loved this series as a kid and I have to say it's interesting re-reading them as an adult. Why did Pa move them around so much? Why couldn't they have just put poor Jack in the back of the wagon!?!

4/52

QOTW: I don't instagram my books, but maybe I will start! I'm at @lindieriksen

message 15: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I finished two books this week putting me at 6/52. I went on to read The Rose Society which is the sequel to The Young Elites. I liked this book better than the first because I felt like there was more character development but why would you shove in a super weak love triangle? It was pointless and added nothing. I'll still read the third because I liked the twist at the end and I'm intrigued.

The other book I finished was Salt to the Sea which is my book about an immigrant or refugee. I thought it'd be very fitting to read this now given everything going on politically. This was an excellent read. The chapters are super short so the book had a really quick pace and it alternated POVs so I had to just keep reading it.

QOTW: I'm on Instagram but I don't usually post about books. It's mostly pictures of my daughter.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahpotempa) | 14 comments Hey everyone! Listening to "Hag-seed" by Margaret Atwood for the Audiobook category. I'll probably read "The Tempest" by Shakespeare next for a book mentioned in another book, since it's what "Hag-seed" is all about. It is also one of Shakespeare's plays I haven't read. Short, but sweet this time. Hopefully I get some reading done before I get any sicker! My hubby decided to share his chest cold :( Have a great week everyone!!!

message 17: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Brooke wrote: "The first is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood for the book recommended by a librarian prompt. Wow is all I can say."

I saw the other day Hulu is adapting this into a series (I'm assuming mini?) - I'll have to finally read it before it comes out this spring.

message 18: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Mie wrote: "Calvin and Hobbes for a bestseller from a genre you don't normally read - hadn't read a comic book since childhood, haha..."

Love this! I may have to do the same. I don't read comics anymore, but Calvin and Hobbes hold a special place in my heart :)

message 19: by Tara (new)

Tara Bates | 1008 comments I'm excited to see so many ppl reading the handmaids tale. I love Margaret Atwood! My favourite is the oryx and crake series! If you like dystopias it's a great one. I also recently read the heart goes last which was a not too distant future dystopia (sort of).
Also my QOTW cut off for some reason... I don't do instagram.

message 20: by Brooke (new)

Brooke | 272 comments Lindi wrote: I saw the other day Hulu is adapting this into a series (I..."

That is actually why I chose to read it! It begins on Hulu in April and has a fantastic cast. I can't wait!

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandamarie27) I finally finished Outlander! So I've now finished one book towards the challenge, haha. But it's the prompt I wanted to get out of the way the most. I was on a trip this past weekend so I haven't picked what I'm going to read next, but I've got a bunch of options. I think I'm going to go with something short; I'm not usually overwhelmed by big books, but I was anxious to finish this time because I wanted to start working on the rest of the challenge. I'll feel better if I can knock a few more books off the list this week.

QOTW - I'm a very bad instagrammer. I think I post four or five pictures a year.

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 83 comments Hi everyone,

Still at 8/40, which is really good.

I am working my way through The Time Machine, so far I am liking it!
I also read the Introduction (huge), and the Chronology (also impressively long).... so now I know about England in the 1890s :)

I have also picked out an audiobook. I really do not do audiobooks, at all. So I will be trying out Murder on the Orient Express. But the audio version, done by the BBC, and it has several actors in the different parts. I am looking forward to it!

Yeah, don't do Instagram, but that sounds awesome!

message 23: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Bunton (haileybunton) | 20 comments Hello from Joplin, MO!

I'm at 6/52 right now, but after today I will be at 7/52.

This week has been moderately productive on the reading front. I was able to knock of my audiobook with Everything I Never Told You. What a heart wrenching story. I loved each of the members of the Lee family so much. It made me wonder what little secrets are kept in my own family for the sake of keeping peace.

Continuing with the heart wrenching theme, I am also reading The Book Thief to fulfill the book set during wartime prompt. I'm about 60% done with it and am hoping to finish this afternoon.

And if I haven't had enough sadness this week already, my husband and I went and saw Manchester by the Sea last night. Part of me was sad because of the tragedies within the film, but the other part was sad because we recently moved to Missouri from upstate New York. The film made me miss my old home, though not quite New England, it still had the charming northeastern accents and the stunning colonials on every street. Anyway, highly recommend this film!

QOTW: I think I jumped the gun on this question last week. haha. I LOVE Instagram!!!! And I now love the term Bookstagram. How fun! I use Instagram daily. So fun sharing snaps of your day with friends. I've been using the hashtag popsugarreadingchallenge2017 for my reading list. My handle is @haileybunton if you're interested in my mundane life. :)

Apparently I'm going to have to read The Handmaid's Tale ASAP!

message 24: by Linnie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 09:06AM) (new)

Linnie | 45 comments Hey everyone! This week I finished one book for the challenge, and our January group read, The Winter People. I never participated in our group reads last year so I decided I would try to read along with everyone this year when the book interested me, and I'm so glad I did! I really enjoyed The Winter People, and I know it's not one that I would pick up on my own. That puts me at 5/52 books completed for the challenge.

I am currently reading The Sixth Lamentation. I'm not sure yet where this will fit in the challenge for me, but I know it meets at least 2 prompts, "a book set in wartime", and "a book set in two different time periods". It's one my aunt recommended, so I'll make it fit somewhere!

Also reading/just picked up:
- The Hobbit - I'm using this as "a book that's been on your TBR list too long". I just went to the very first book I added on Goodreads.
- Edge of Eternity - "a book set in wartime" or "a book that takes place over a character's lifespan"

QOTW: I am on Instagram! And Bookstagram all the time! I start tagging the books I read for this challenge a couple years ago because I do have a couple friends to read regularly and talk to me about books and I figured it was a good way to get people thinking about books and reading, if they saw that I read all the time. Also, I'm a dietitian and currently pregnant with our first kiddo, so you'll see a lot of food and pregnancy photos! I'll definitely look into the Bookriot challenge! My profile name is: linnrieg

message 25: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Bunton (haileybunton) | 20 comments Lindi wrote: "I finished four (yes, four!) books this week. But only one fulfills a prompt.

Troublemaker: Surviving Hollywood and Scientology by Leah Remini for "a book with a subtitle". I liste..."

Have you ever heard of the Hulu show called The Path? It's kind of got the Scientology cult vibe going and it's super interesting!

message 26: by Alisia (new)

Alisia (4thhouseontheleft) | 55 comments This is my first update! So far I have read 4/52 for the challenge, and read 11 books total in January. I think it's a personal record! I'm just starting The Underground Railroad; I heard Colson Whitehead do a reading from his latest book at a book festival last year, and have been meaning to read it ever since!

Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance for a book with a subtitle.

Dawn by Elie Wiesel for a book that has been on my TBR list for way too long.

El Deafo by Cece Bell for a book from a nonhuman perspective. Although based on the author's life, the characters are all rabbits, so I hope that counts for this category!

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 2: Generation Why by G. Willow Wilson for a book with a title that's a character's name.

I'm happy to see Atwood mentioned so many times! She is one of my favorites!

message 27: by Lindi (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) Hailey wrote: "Have you ever heard of the Hulu show called The Path? It's kind of got the Scientology cult vibe going and it's super interesting! "

I've heard about it but I didn't know what it was about. I just looked it up and it looks very interesting. I'll have to start, thanks!!

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 21 comments This week I finished Insane Clown President by Matt Taibbi for a book published in 2017.

I started The Story of A New Name by Elena Ferrante for a book by someone who uses a pseudonym.

I am 11/52 now and made good progress in all my previous starts.

I am not on Instagram and have never heard of Bookstagram or Booktube- new things to check out!

message 29: by Nadine (new)

That Book Riot Bookstagram Challenge looks like a lot of fun!!! Maybe this will get me to use Instagram again. I hope the librarians don't get too upset when I make a book rainbow

message 30: by Allie (new)

Allie | 52 comments Hi everyone!

I just finished Allegedly for my "book about a difficult topic". I wasn't planning on doing the advanced reading challenge, but this book fit too well for this prompt and I couldn't wait to read it.

I'm also starting Illuminae for my "book written by multiple authors. It's amazing so far.

I'm at 5/52 books so far!

Yes, I have a bookstagram account: @thebooksproject
I need to be better about posting on there, but I've been a bit lazy lately :(

message 31: by Abigail (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

Abigail Smith | 66 comments I finished two books this week, putting me at 10/40. I've surprised even myself at how much I've read in a month!

I completed:
27. A book with a title that's a character's name Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA. I was expecting more of the science/DNA less typical criminal justice recounting. Interesting but not exactly what I thought it would be.

15. A book with a subtitle While the City Slept: A Love Lost to Violence and a Young Man's Descent into Madness. Eli Sanders won a Pulitzer for his reporting on this story of a young man who, thanks to unaided mental health issues, ended up murdering a woman. The system was severely stacked against him and led to the worst possible outcome. Thought provoking.

I finished about 50 pages of The Underground Railroad before my foster puppy ate my library copy! My replacement from Amazon arrived today so I'll plan to finish it over the weekend. Puppy is lucky she's cute.

QOTW: I mostly observe on Instagram but I'll check out the Book Riot Challenge.

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments I am very, very happy to say that I finished Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. And yes, I delayed posting this update while I finished the last bit of the book! This has been a work in progress since mid-November. It is not the longest book I have ever read, but it was certainly a hefty tome. This will be my book that takes place over a character's life span.

I also finished:
Salt to the Sea - book recommended by a librarian. Highly recommend. This one will fit several other prompts.
Voyager - book I've read before that never fails to make me smile

I just picked up my copy of The Underground Railroad last night. I haven't started it yet, but I am a little nervous after seeing such strong reactions to the content. I usually read to relax, but some topics need to be brought out of the past. You can't whitewash history just to make us more comfortable with it.

I am leaving on a week-long trip so I hope to have a good bit of reading time.

Question of the week: I am on instagram, but I am not a bookstagrammer. I need to work on artistic style and then will consider posting more of my books :) I love the idea of the Book Riot February challenge though!

message 33: by Nadine (new)

Sara wrote: "I am very, very happy to say that I finished Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow. And yes, I delayed posting this update while I finished the last bit of the book! This h..."

Yay you!! I know the relief and satisfaction from finishing a book you've been chipping away at!!

message 34: by Jackie (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:52AM) (new)

Jackie | 506 comments I did not get much reading done this last week so I only finished 1 book: Lady Susan; it's super short so I *really* did not get much reading done this week. I liked it though in many ways it's a bit different from Austen's usual work. I might slot it in as a book of letters, title with a character's name, or maybe even as an unreliable narrator...though I think that might be a stretch.

A trip to the library is definitely in order.

message 35: by Lindsay (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:12AM) (new)

Lindsay | 26 comments Howdy from Cali!

I didn't get to finish any books this week. I work in politics - so it's been kind of hectic, to say the least.

At any rate, I'm still working on these two:

Uglies - this isn't a genre I read, and I'm having a hard time with it.

The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas - I have less than a hundred pages in this, and should have it finished by next Thursday.

I see that a lot of people are reading The Underground Railroad. I finished it about a week ago. While reading this, there were times I had to put it down. It is pretty dark, but well worth the read. I understand how you feel Juanita.

I have Instagram and use it once in awhile. I'm @libarchiver. I mostly just post pictures of our cat. I have a friend who does the IG posts for books, but I don't read actual copies of books (only electronic) - so it's a bit difficult for me to participate.

Have a wonderful week everyone!

message 36: by Emanuel (new)

Emanuel | 249 comments olá.This week I almost finnish the book of Uwem Akpan, for the refugee prompt, and I had never been in Nigeria, and A book where the main character is a different ethnicity than me - I'm not liking so I started and almost finished an portuguese book:Hotel Lusitano, for the hotel prompt and book bought on a used booksale .I like fill prompts as many as I can.
QOTW:I don't like Instagram, so.... bye to all, have a nice week.

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon This week I read Kill the Boy Band for a book set in a hotel prompt. It definitely kept my attention but I thought the darker elements sat a bit uneasily with the more YA parts.

QOTW- I am a bit unusual for a millennial in that I really don't like or participate in much social media, including Instagram. I even got rid of my Facebook years ago and haven't looked back since.

message 38: by Nerdy Panda (new)

Nerdy Panda (twobrokegirlswithbooks) (_readingpanda_) | 47 comments The One and Only Ivan: A book from a nonhuman perspective
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass: (just reread Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) A book with an eccentric character
Girl, Interrupted: A bestseller from a genre you don't normally read (I don't normally read nonfiction)

QotW: I take so many pictures of books, so maybe one day I'll actually post something. For now, nothing.

message 39: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn | 25 comments I'm getting a little over my head. I haven't been finishing books so I keep reading them while tacking on another book for the new week. I need to keep in mind that I've only challenged myself to as many as I can handle, even if that's not all 52 prompts. However, I am fairly certain that I will finish 2 of the 4 books I am in the middle of this week, and another of the 4 I'm giving myself a month to listen to. So here they are:

Mere Christianity for bestseller in a genre I don't typically read. I only have 10 more pages so I just need to get it over with.

Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer for book with a subtitle. I have 40 pages left in this so I just need to plug away at this as well.

The Shining as an audiobook. This I'm listening to over a month's time as I have time.

On the Beach by Nevil Schute for my red cover book. It's a fairly old book but very interesting if you like dystopias!

QOTW: My Instagraming is very on again and off again. Sometimes I do books but usually I do pictures of my daughter.

message 40: by Letizia (new)

Letizia Loi | 42 comments It was a good week, this time.

I've read a new italian edition of "Treasure Island", for the "book with a red spine".
Then I finally read "Leonard: My Fifty-Year Friendship with a Remarkable Man" by Shatner. I've waited my copy for a long time because I wanted this particular edition with Kirk and Spock on the cover and it was out of print, but it was worth it. It's a really moving reading, profoundly touching. I think it would be great even for people who aren't fan of Star Trek, because as the subtitle says, it's not just a Leonard Nimoy biography, it's a story about fifty years of friendship, with all the joys e difficulties entailed. So this is my "book with a subtitle".
I've also read for the second time "Fortunately the Milk", the "book who always makes you smile", and the comic book "Civil War: The Oath" which wasn't as great as I hoped and don't think is good for any prompt. And I'm alfaway trough "The Bear and the Nightingale"

message 41: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 123 comments This past week I read two books:

1. Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, a 5-Star Masterpiece.

2. Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor by Clinton Romesha a realistic retelling of the Battle for Keating (Afghan War) by a Medal of Honor winner.

message 42: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 242 comments Hello from San Francisco! I hope you've all been getting a lot out of your reading this week. :)

I completed two books this week, and abandoned another after reading a little more than half of it:

5. Read a book by an author of color. I read The Clothing of Books by Jhumpa Lahiri, who is of Bengali (Indian) descent. This short book is ostensibly about book jackets, but it really is about identity and how what is outside relates to what is inside. I really liked it.

15. Read a book with a subtitle. I was riveted by It's What I Do: A Photographer's Life of Love and War by Lynsey Addario. It's a mesmerizing account of her adventures as a photojournalist around the world, including war zones. Highly recommended!

Sadly, I just could not get into The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. A couple of my friends say it's one of their favorite books, but I found it slow and it didn't maintain my interest. Some of the characters were great, but I often felt like their lengthy speeches were overdone and distracting. I gave up after 250 pages (see -- I really did try!).

Question of the week: I use Instagram but have not used that hashtag. I'll give it a try!

message 43: by Danielle (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:39PM) (new)

Danielle (danimgill) | 45 comments I read two books for this challenge this week!

First, I made it through The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals after working on it for a while - it's my "book about food" and it was very interesting and well-written. It definitely has me rethinking how to go about consuming food.

Second, I read All the Light We Cannot See which I could not put down. It was as heartbreaking and amazing as I had seen everyone say. It's my "book about a person who has a disability" because Marie-Laure, the female protagonist, is blind.

I'm really excited for the three books that came through all at once on Overdrive for me in the last few days - Homegoing, Underground Airlines, and The Underground Railroad. I'll finally be able to read along with everyone on that last one!

QOTW: I have an instagram but I haven't been very bookish on it lately. I am, however, planning to tackle the Book Riot photo challenge on my Litsy! I'm @danimgill there if anyone else in this thread uses Litsy :)

message 44: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Langsather (langsather) | 100 comments Last night when I realized I had a little less than 100 pages left of Angle of Repose I had to finish before I checked in because it felt like a huge accomplishment to get through a book that was mostly boring and pretentious. I read it for "a book recommended by a librarian". But if anyone wants to read a book that qualifies for multiple challenge prompts- this one is it. I thought it fit 3, 7, 13, 29, and 33 for the most part and maybe a stretch for 11 on the Advanced List.

I hope to start Emma as "a book that's been on my TBR list for way too long" or read the The Underground Railroad but fit in under another prompt because I already filled "a book by a person of color" and I know I will be on a waiting list if I want it from the library.

QotW: I don't really have the desire to add another social media account to my already full life. I don't even have a cell phone. But I think it would be fun to take more pictures of books and promote more reading.

message 45: by Betty (last edited Feb 02, 2017 12:45PM) (new)

Betty Quon Hello, Everyone! It is a wet, cold day here today, but we've had some really beautiful days lately, so I cannot complain.

I finished 3 books this week, two that I was having trouble finishing, so I am really happy about that. I am now at 10/40. I'm still undecided on the advanced list!

I finished Pride and Prejudice, which I'll be using for the book that has been on my TBR list the longest.
I also finished Dracula, which will be my book of letters. both of these were petty difficult to get trough, but I found them on audio on youtube, and that helped when I got bogged down. (I'd switch back and forth between print and audio).
After I completed those two, I wanted a light, easy book so I picked a book by Joanne Fluke, Peach Cobbler Murder for my book about food. It turned out to be just what I needed!

Now, I'm reading The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines. I will use it for the prompt "A bestseller from a genre you don't usually read" since I don't usually read biographies.
I'm also reading Chopsticks in the Land of Cotton:Lives of the Mississippi Delta Chinese Grocers for my book with a subtitle. If I do decide to do the advanced list, I'll probably move this one to the prompt about an immigrant.

QOTW: No, I don't instagram at all!

message 46: by Megan (new)

Megan | 8 comments This week I read three books towards the challenge:

-All the Missing Girls (two different time periods)
-The Lake House (across a character's lifespan)
-Between the Lines (book with multiple authors)

I'm currently reading: The Count of Monte Cristo (book longer than 800 pages)

QOTW: I'm on Instagram but I don't have anything book-related on my account. I think the Book Riot challenge sounds interesting though and definitely want to check it out!

message 47: by Betty (new)

Betty Quon Lindi wrote: "I finished four (yes, four!) books this week. But only one fulfills a prompt.

I loved Little House on the Prairie! I'm planing on reading that for the "book I loved as a child"! I don't know why they moved so much, though! If I had to cut down trees and build a house every time I moved, plus clearing the land for planting, I'd stay in one spot!!

message 48: by Tanelle (new)

Tanelle Nash | 128 comments I've read 7 books in the past week (mind you 3 of them were kids books I read to my daughters). I finished Catalyst - A Rogue One Novel; not sure where I can place it on the Popsugar list although I was able to use it for MMD.

The I read Gemina thinking I could use it for the Advanced List. Of course I misread the prompt and it was only 639 pages. I was able to use it for the "Unreliable Narrator" prompt instead.

The Pharaoh's Secret was a quick read and filled "An Espionage Thriller".

Ghost Ship was another quick one and filled "A book that's been mentioned in another book". If I hadn't read those two out of order I don't know if I could have used it for that prompt as they reference it in The Pharaoh's Secret briefly.

For my kids I read them The Story of Miss Moppet, Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes, and Cecily Parsley's Nursery Rhymes. Don't know if I can use them for PS.

Now I'm reading The Bees for my "Book from a nonhuman perspective". I'm loving it and should finish it in the next two days (if not today)

QOTW: I do Instagram and occasionally will post pictures of the books I'm reading

message 49: by Juanita (new)

Juanita (juanitav) | 723 comments Hailey wrote: "QOTW: I think I jumped the gun on this question last week. haha. I LOVE Instagram!!!! And I now love the term Bookstagram. How fun! I use Instagram daily. So fun sharing snaps of your day with friends. I've been using the hashtag popsugarreadingchallenge2017 for my reading list. "

Hailey: You didn't so much "jump the gun" as you inspired this week's question. It was the perfect timing of two things: your inquiry and the Book Riot Bookstagram challenge.

message 50: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Bonnet | 212 comments One book read this week:

✅10. A book that's been mentioned in another book: Robert Louis Stevenson, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde , 2012 (1st ed. 1888).

A classic, that I never read before. It was mentioned repeatedly by one of my previous reads: Why Are We In Vietnam, by Norman Mailer.

QOTW: nope.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.