Art Lovers discussion

Monthly Challenge > Your Challenge for February 2017

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather How are we doing on our self-challenge?
Did you read the number of books you had planned for January? Did you read more? How many books would you like to read for February? It is a shorter month...

If you would like to discuss what you read for last month, we'd love to read your review, even just a suggestion or how you liked it.

Feel free to post your thoughts!

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I failed miserable in my goal for January. And my goal wasn't a lofty one either. I'm embarrassed but being honest and maybe I make some of you feel better for having the same problem as I have! I will do better this month!

message 3: by Ker Metanoia (new)

Ker Metanoia (kermetanoia) | 33 comments This year, I plan to read two books a month. I was only able to read one. :( I hope I could catch up this month.

message 4: by Ker Metanoia (new)

Ker Metanoia (kermetanoia) | 33 comments Luís wrote: "I failed either for my preview for this year. I reduced enormously my challenge from 160 to 86 books. It will give me more time, for sure, to take care of my home-leisure and activities that fall a..."

86! Jaw-dropping!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Well, I can now say that as of yesterday, I did actually finish one of my books intended for January. So I was only off by 2 days! I still want to do better.

Ker Metanoia, I'm with you. Two books a month sounds reasonable for me, too.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather Less than a week left of this month! How are we doing?

I have to brag a bit. This won't seem like any sort of accomplishment for many or most of the avid readers in the group, but I have actually finished three books this month and my goal was two. I am about half-way through another book with about 325 pages. Phantoms in the Brain: Probing the Mysteries of the Human Mind This book, for me, is a more advanced neuroscience book and not easily digested thus it is taking me a bit longer to finish. (plus my same problem of starting other books in the process of finishing this one)

I admit one of the books wasn't as long and I read it in a day. I don't usually have that kind of time, but it was a great reprieve from life for a day. I'm sure we can all relate!

If anyone has anything to add, feel free to post your comments, brag, even share your frustrations (if any). Whatever you would like to tell us!

Keep reading! I think we are all doing great!

message 7: by Ker Metanoia (new)

Ker Metanoia (kermetanoia) | 33 comments Wow! Congratulations! 3 is worth bragging.

So much is going on around the world and what I hoped to be a relaxed February turned out to be more hectic than January. I wasn't able to read any book at all this month. But I'm still hopeful I'd be able to pore through the books on my list for this year.

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Ker Metanoia wrote: "Wow! Congratulations! 3 is worth bragging.

So much is going on around the world and what I hoped to be a relaxed February turned out to be more hectic than January. I wasn't able to read any book ..."

Thank you!
And I wish you good luck and more time in the months to com, Ker Metanoia!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Luís wrote: "I'm with 24 books read at the moment."

Good job, Luis!

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Luis wrote: "Thanks, Heather! Have a good weekend!"

It has been nice, busy as always. Going on Monday now. Hope you have a great week!

Everyone have a great week!

message 11: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 136 comments For February I finished a book about Leonardo Da Vinci, while the author was more interested in his scientific and anatomist skills, it is not really possible to address Da Vinci leaving out the art, so I found ti quite interesting:

Leonardo Da Vinci by Sherwin B. Nuland by Sherwin B. Nuland

And I reviewed it https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Deborah wrote: "For February I finished a book about Leonardo Da Vinci, while the author was more interested in his scientific and anatomist skills, it is not really possible to address Da Vinci leaving out the ar..."

Thank you, Deborah!
And I enjoyed your review. Especially the last paragraph where you said that the author wrote with a 'light touch' as to not infiltrate the book with his surmises. That makes the reader able to gain more of the reality of what we know as fact regarding da Vinci. Nice!

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather Looks like you went into a lot of detail, I can see but Luis I don't speak Portuguese!!! I don't know why you thought that I did, you send me book recommendations all the time...for books written in Portuguese! I'm flattered that you think of me and want to share good books but...I'm sorry I can't read them

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather Luís wrote: "Ok, so I will not send you recommendations anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe I was misunderstood."

Oh, Luis. There is no inconvenience! It doesn't bother me, I just can't read them! I don't know how you got the notion that I spoke Portuguese. But it's all fine! No worries.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 136 comments I think the light touch is very important with Da Vinci - so many people are so very invested in him and all are so sure they know what he was all about! It is relaxing to just read what we know about him without personal inflection.