Black Coffee discussion

Assata: An Autobiography
This topic is about Assata
2017 Group Reads > Feb '17 February Monthly Read: Assata: An Autobiography

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by capsaicine (last edited Feb 02, 2017 03:11AM) (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments Assata: An Autobiography

It was a close race, but this month we will be reading Assata. We will be starting February 15 so you have a little bit of time to get your book! Who's in?

P.S. If you can't find the book at your local library, I found copies on Amazon for less than $10.

https://www.amazon.com/Assata-Autobio...

Tender&Delicate (daughterofsarah) | 11 comments Count me in!

message 3: by Kay Dee (new) - added it

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 337 comments ok...how many of y'all live in MD? likealmost all the copies are checked out of the libraries. which is weird unless there is a school assignment or cable just did a biopic on her???

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina Do you have interlibrary loan or overdrive?? Usually can get that way.

message 5: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2422 comments Mod
I really enjoyed this read.

message 6: by Kay Dee (new) - added it

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 337 comments Brina wrote: "Do you have interlibrary loan or overdrive?? Usually can get that way."

that is what i was using. i did finally find a library in MD that had 2 available but the rest were checked out or on hold which for an old book is VERY unusual.

message 7: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2422 comments Mod
This book has had a resurgence because here is a no nonsense black feminist who pulled one over on her oppressors. It's on everyone's "You gotta read this book if you wanna be the movement and not just a sheep who gets moved along by the man in a racist society that wasn't designed for us and will never be for us unless you decide to wake up, stand up, and take what's rightfully yours" list.

;)

message 8: by Brina (new)

Brina I might have to add this even though I wasn't planning on it. It sounds really powerful.

Maya B | 790 comments Good choice. I really enjoyed this one. I will try to join in the discussion if I remember answers to the questions

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 4217 comments Lulu wrote: "This book has had a resurgence because here is a no nonsense black feminist who pulled one over on her oppressors. It's on everyone's "You gotta read this book if you wanna be the movement and not ..."

With this, I'm in!

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Ordered from the library. Our library is encouraging AA history month awareness but I was still able to get a copy. I also ordered a copy of Bronx Masquerade. Hope to read in the second half of the month.

message 12: by Kay Dee (new) - added it

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 337 comments Lulu wrote: "...It's on everyone's "You gotta read this book if you wanna be the movement and not just a sheep who gets moved along by the man in a racist society that wasn't designed for us and will never be for us unless you decide to wake up, stand up, and take what's rightfully yours" list. "

lol that explains it.

message 13: by capsaicine (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments Awesome! I'm going to the library Monday, I hope they have it

message 14: by kisha, The Clean Up Lady (new) - added it

kisha | 3902 comments Mod
I'm in as well

Ashley K | 1 comments Awesome I'm excited! I was actually going to read this book next anyways great coincidence

message 16: by capsaicine (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments Cool! We have a little less than week before we start. How many people have their books already?

message 17: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 4217 comments Leona wrote: "Cool! We have a little less than week before we start. How many people have their books already?"

I do.

message 18: by Brina (new)

Brina I have mine :)

message 19: by Feven (new) - added it

Feven | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm a new member and relatively new to Goodreads and I have a question: is the group reading the entire book by the 15th or the first few chapters? Sorry if this was mentioned already

message 20: by Brina (new)

Brina Welcome, Feven. We are starting on the 15th.

message 21: by Shea (new) - added it

Shea (sheamiller) | 1 comments I'm in!

message 22: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Scott (Ashley_BeautifulBrownSkin) | 6 comments I actually just got done with it and it was amazing. I did a review that I'll be posting on my youtube channel

message 23: by capsaicine (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments Awesome! So the library of the sad city I currently live in didn't have it, but I scooped the Kindle version for less than $7! So if you haven't gotten your book yet, and are having trouble locating it, you might want to check it out.

message 24: by Kay Dee (new) - added it

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 337 comments i got my copy! looking it over i am wishing it came in audio. i do better with bios in audio than in print.

message 25: by Kay Dee (new) - added it

Kay Dee (kdf_333) | 337 comments Ashley wrote: "I actually just got done with it and it was amazing. I did a review that I'll be posting on my youtube channel"

what's the link?

message 26: by capsaicine (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments There are about 20 chapters, so let's aim to read/discuss 5 chapters a week. On Monday, I will post discussion questions for the first five chapters. In the meantime, feel free to post your general thoughts and reflections on the book so far.

message 27: by capsaicine (new) - added it

capsaicine | 92 comments I thought this might be an interesting way to get the conversation started; Angela Davis speaking about Assata Shakur.

https://www.democracynow.org/2016/3/2...