Perustopia Book Club discussion

Longest it has taken to read a book

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Othman (graceothman) | 56 comments What has been the longest amount of time for you to read a book and what book was it?
Mine was a school term (10 weeks) and the book was the mortal instruments city of bones

I'm ashamed of myself

message 2: by Juliana (new)

Juliana Lombana (juliatulipanes) Really? I wish they had made me read TMI, I think for me is one I haven't finished yet, and it's been at least 5 YEARS since supposedly had to read it for school work.
the book is Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Márquez

message 3: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower | 297 comments Mmmm, 3 months with A dance with Dragons. I just read while I was on the bus, so it took a long time to get through 1000 pages xD

message 4: by Niki (new)

Niki McKenna (niki_mckenna) | 1 comments 5 years? That is huge. Wow.
I was like...eleven years old and it took me 6 months to read Lord of the Rings trilogy. My mum started to read it with me, but she gave up eventually. I re-read it year ago and it took me just two weeks. Maybe I wasn't old enough for this, who knows. But LOTR was and still i one of my favourite books.

message 5: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristyi) | 43 comments It took me 4 years to read Les Miserables.

message 6: by Rimsha (new)

Rimsha | 5 comments It took me 1 month to read All The Light We Cannot See. The book was really good. But that's the longest I've ever taken to finish a book

message 7: by Juliana (last edited Feb 02, 2017 10:26AM) (new)

Juliana Lombana (juliatulipanes) Niki wrote: "5 years? That is huge. "
Yeah, it's the kind of book that you pick up, read a few chapters and then even though it's good you leave it there for other hyped books.

All the shame on me, I know.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy Medlyn | 40 comments 1 month. Mostly cause It was a library book and then I eventually bought my own copy. It was Specials by Scott Westerfeld

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurameijberg) 1 month: Heir of Fire and Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas both took me almost a month to finish

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Koors | 10 comments it took me about a month i believe to finish the first book in the mistborn trilogy

message 11: by coeur de samurai (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:22PM) (new)

coeur de samurai (coeurdesamurai) | 71 comments I usually read during long periods of time because I tend to have long slumps and dnf books that I end up reading again. So I can't really choose but there was books I read daily but took me about two months to finish like Memoirs of a Geisha and A Clash of Kings.

message 12: by maria (new)

maria (maria-blackthorn) it took me about two months to finish Mockingjay first time round but only because I was like ten, the second time I read it in a matter of days

message 13: by Ana (new)

Ana (404-equivalent) Like if you read continually or if you kind of put it down and slowly started it again?

A year and a half for Dickens' Bleak House. It's a big book and I had to read it for uni. Once I've put it down it was always so hard to pick it up again and continue. The writing style didn't particularly agree with me plus there are a ton of characters and I kept forgetting who was who. Last 300 pages were really good, but 580 prior to that were quite a chore.

message 14: by Mac (new)

Mac (excessiveannotations) 2 months

message 15: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Lightwood | 134 comments A couple years ago, I hated reading so and back then, it toke my a full year (not reading everyday) to finish diary of a wimpy kid

message 16: by Gina (new)

Gina (readbygina) | 76 comments A month and a half to two months. (On Truthwitch)

Juliettechevalier | 23 comments 2 months... Sometimes I start a book like read the first 20 pages and then I stop reading it for no reason and I start an another book and then I return to the book i started to read in the first place.

message 18: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Smith (charliesmith02) It took me about 3 months to get through The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan because I was reading tons of other books and it didn't catch my attention as well as the others did.

message 19: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 321 comments It took me about 2 months to read Clockwork Prince or one of the Infernal Devices books. I just felt like it dragged on for a long time and it wasn't as interesting. Plus there were tons of pages.

message 20: by Matilde Kaja (new)

Matilde Kaja (matildekaja) | 4 comments Rimsha wrote: "It took me 1 month to read All The Light We Cannot See. The book was really good. But that's the longest I've ever taken to finish a book"
That book took me about 2 months, didn't like it, so I kept procrastinating. Oops.

message 21: by Evee (new)

Evee | 7 comments About a month max, if it takes more than a month that means I just can't get into it and I stop.

message 22: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 321 comments I just finished The Heir today and i started it Dec. 30th sp it took me about 2 months to read this book and this book only had 340 pages so this book shouldn't really have taken me that long to read

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Walker (NekosBooks) (neko-firedemontempest) It took me 3 weeks to finish The 5th Wave. Otherwise maybe a week.

ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω | 60 comments I don't read a lot of nonfiction very often, but I love history. I just need to read it in small doses. I had a nonfiction book over 900pages. I read half of it in the span of a couple weeks, then had to take a break....didn't finish it till about a year later LOL!

message 25: by Amelia (new)

Amelia RR (amelia2612) | 13 comments 1 month. I was reading beautiful creatures.

message 26: by Tanja (new)

Tanja van Kommer (bookg33kgirl) | 80 comments 1-2 months to finish the second book of the iron fey.

message 27: by Yana (new)

Yana Fabella (alyana04) | 7 comments 4 months because reading slump

The Book Crusader (thebookcrusader) | 17 comments According to my currently reading shelf, I started: Hello, Groin by Beth Goobie on January 23, 2015.

So to answer the question―two years and counting.

message 29: by sam (new)

sam (ilyaaslaia) 2 weeks for empire of storms.....I was kinda on and off on this book coz I dint wanna wait a long time for the next one

message 30: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 49 comments 2 months

message 31: by Lilee (new)

Lilee | 15 comments 3 years and counting, its been on my currently reading list since Ive started my good read account .. I told myself I would finish it after I went through my TBR list and it just keeps growing so :-)

message 32: by Jobelle (new)

Jobelle | 29 comments 6 months

message 33: by Amanda (last edited Mar 10, 2017 01:43AM) (new)

Amanda (spellitlikeitsounds) | 9 comments It took me 10 years to finish Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix........ I first started it when I was 10 years old, back then I had bigger issues with my dyslexia och after reading half I gave up. I read hardly any books the years to come and I didn't really start reading "for real" until a couple years ago and FINALLY after 10 years I decided I needed to pick up Harry Potter again.

message 34: by silvercrystal (new)

silvercrystal | 8 comments over a year

message 35: by Michielle (new)

Michielle Nadeem  (michiellenadeem) | 5 comments It took me about a month to finish Jurassic Park. Mind you, I was reading some other books as well, but Jurassic Park was definitely a slow read. Not that it was bad or anything, it's actually one of my favorite books, it was just a really 'hard to digest (?)' book. You had to give it a lot of attention, and you couldn't just skim through the pages fast.

message 36: by PaolaDenis (new)

PaolaDenis (pdenishb) | 34 comments one year

message 37: by Eve (new)

Eve (evewithwonder) | 79 comments I've had lots of books that took me a long time, but I hardly ever keep count; however, I feel like the one that has taken me the most is Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. The first time I read it I was like nine or ten years old and it took me two months to get through that massive thing. I read it again some years after and only took me about two weeks, maybe a little less.

message 38: by Naoé (new)

Naoé | 265 comments 10 days I think when I spend more than a week reading the same book it bothers me so much and I'm ready to sleep a lot less if it means that I can finish my book

message 39: by Shela (new)

Shela Muriel | 13 comments 2 or 3 months to read a thick book

message 40: by sara (new)

sara (wizardsbook) Month I think

message 41: by Shawna (new)

Shawna :) (sugoishawn) | 102 comments It took my three months to read A Curse of Ash and Embers