Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Group Reads > February - Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (last edited Feb 01, 2017 11:10PM) (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments Here's a fun, light-hearted mini-challenge you might like to participate in during February. You might be able to weave some of those books from the Book Pool you wanted to read, but didn't quite get to in time.

You may do any or all of the challenge components/tasks.
If you intend taking part, just create a post in this thread to report on the books you read.

For the books you do read link to the title and author, add the date you finished the book, give us your star rating, and perhaps a little on what you liked/didn't like about the book.

February
*Read a book published in February.
*Read a book set in summer.

Chinese New Year
*Read a book with a red cover.
*Read a book with some sort of bird (feathered kind) on the cover (bonus if the bird is a rooster!)

Waitangi Day
*Read a book written by a New Zealand author (bonus if it is one of the author member selections for this month).
*Read a book set in New Zealand.

Valentines Day
*Read a book from the Romance genre.
*Read a book where the main character receives a marriage proposal/gets engaged.

message 2: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Feb 25, 2017 06:10PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 950 comments February

Chinese New Year
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (although my library copy had faded to a really weird pink) Finished 3/2/17 Flawed masterpiece. 5★
*Read a book with some sort of bird (feathered kind) on the cover (bonus if the bird is a rooster!)

Waitangi Day
*Read a book written by a New Zealand author (bonus if it is one of the author member selections for this month).
The Cryptographer by Alice Wallis-Eton (at the end of my kindle edition there is a brief bio that says this author is a kiwi) Finished 13/2 A promising idea that wasn't well executed. Shame. 3★

Valentines Day
*Read a book from the Romance genre. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet 25/02/17 Loved the You tube clips & love the book! It is more than just a novelisation of the clips. 4.5★
*Read a book where the main character receives a marriage proposal/gets engaged.
Lady Of Quality by Georgette Heyer finished 6/2/17 Probable rating 2.5★ GH's final completed book written when she was old, sick & probably sick of writing Regencies. Main fault for me is I don't like the heroine.

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Feb 05, 2017 04:44PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 950 comments & I have a question - would it be ok to count books started before the 1st of Feb?

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "& I have a question - would it be ok to count books started before the 1st of Feb?"

Why not! So long as they are finished in February - you thinking of Wolf Hall?! :)

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:25AM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 950 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "& I have a question - would it be ok to count books started before the 1st of Feb?"

Why not! So long as they are finished in February - you thinking of Wolf Hall?! :)"

I was thinking of another romance I barely started. Wolf Hall I started in December. One challenging read. But if I can use Wolf Hall...

message 6: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Ella's Gran wrote: "Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "& I have a question - would it be ok to count books started before the 1st of Feb?"

Why not! So long as they are finished in February - you thin..."

Looks like it might be just the two of us, so let's make the rules up as we go along! Use Wolf Hall if you want to.

message 7: by Lesley (last edited Feb 09, 2017 08:42AM) (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments February

Chinese New Year

Waitangi Day

Valentines Day
Black Sheep / Georgette Heyer
4 stars for a really enjoyable, slightly humorous, old fashioned romance. I do enjoy GH's use of language in her writing. Finished 09/02

message 8: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 579 comments Mod
Will see how many books I manage to finish in Feb. So far have two on the go, and we are a third of the way into the month.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 872 comments Mod
February

Chinese New Year

Waitangi Day

Valentines Day
✔*Read a book where the main character receives a marriage proposal/gets engaged. Dear Fatty

Dear Fatty by Dawn French

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Dixon (kiwikathleen) | 1470 comments This is the first time this month I've been in our Group, but I've been reading plenty. Most of what I've read has been children's or teens novels so it may look as if I'm reading a lot but really they're very undemanding.
Anyway, a mini-challenge is great.

February

The Last Continent by the marvellous Terry Pratchett. It's in Australia (more or less) where it hasn't rained in anyone's lifetime.
The Last Continent (Discworld, #22; Rincewind #6) by Terry Pratchett . 5 stars.

Chinese New Year

Waitangi Day

The Ghosts of Iron Bottom Sound. A nice combination here of ghosts, family life, and history as a lad learns about is grandfather's participation at Guadalcanal.
The Ghosts of Iron Bottom Sound by Sandy Nelson . 4 stars.

Valentines Day
Hell and High Water. I'm totally reinterpreting the challenge here as I really don't read romances. However, this excellent children's historical has a rather nice unfolding romance in it.
Hell and High Water by Tanya Landman . 4 stars.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 950 comments Just bumping this up. My reading rate has slowed & I'm unlikely to read any more books in Feb that fit this challenge.

message 12: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "Just bumping this up. My reading rate has slowed & I'm unlikely to read any more books in Feb that fit this challenge."

Mmm, me the same, although not so much a slowing in reading, but perhaps more disheartened and a lack of interest.

message 13: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Would have loved to participate, but none of the books I read this month fit the bill no matter how much I squeezed them.

message 14: by P.D.R. (last edited Feb 26, 2017 10:41PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1636 comments Oo-er! Just seen this. I've read heaps this month and I can fit some of them in to this! Is that cheating Lesley?

February
Cheating but my 'Bittersweet' is out as an ebook and I was proof reading it all month!
Airs Above the Ground Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart

Chinese New Year
Blood Blood on the Water (William Monk, #20) by Anne Perry Blood on the Water
Encouraging Birds In The New Zealand Garden
Encouraging Birds In The New Zealand Garden by Gordon Ell
(I'm trying to make a cat free bird bath and feeder and advice welcomed.)

Waitangi Day
The Effects of Henry's Cage. Roberta's Story. by Bernadette Joyce
The Effects of Henry's Cage.: Roberta's Story.
Cheating here 'cos it's a bit of proof reading for the ebook!
Valentines Day
The Nonesuch by Georgette Heyer
The Nonesuch
Not finished just dipping in at night but should finish tonight.
Her Last Breath
Her Last Breath (Kate Burkholder, #5) by Linda Castillo