Addicted to YA discussion

Cruel Beauty
This topic is about Cruel Beauty
Stand Alone > Cruel Beauty

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - added it

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5134 comments Mod
What did you think of it? Favorite or least favorite characters? Favorite or least favorite part?

Sabrina (forebodinq) | 150 comments It's been a while since I read this, but I remember loving it. The story really drew me in and Nyx was such a different character to what I was used to reading about. I especially loved the ending (view spoiler)

Fyre.Katz (fyrekatz) Also for me this was read a bit ago. I remember loving how the story was told and the characters were unique... and yes the ending! Also if you like this one try gilded cage its a novella from this series... :)

Shahzoda (PlatinumWriter) (platinumwriter) | 3 comments I enjoyed Cruel Beauty but the beginning was too slow for me. However, the mystery of how everything would be resolved kept me reading. I'm a sucker for happy endings so I ended up liking this book.
My problem was with who to imagine for Ignifex... It was between Chris Pine and the guy on the cover of Unhinged by AG Howard. But somehow neither seemed to fit the character.
And I enjoyed Gilded Ashes very much, it was a Cinderella retelling and a pretty good one at that.

Virginia B. (virgithebookdragon) I read Cruel Beauty in January and I liked it quite a lot.
The first part was a little too tame in my opinion, but if you're patient enough to read through the first twenty chapters or so, you're gonna love it. The ending was worth everything!

Claudia This comment might be spoilery so reader discretion is advised.

I loved how the writer planted clues throughout the book and in the end everything made sense. Some clues were more predictable than others, but it was my favorite aspect of the book.

(extra spoilery) Also, about the wife that fell from the top of the stairs, I cannot believe it was not even suggested that she jumped. It did cross my mind.

Nicolina | 23 comments Yeesh this book was a mess...
I cringed every 2 pages

Annalisa | 20 comments I was surprised to find that I enjoyed this book as much as I did. I agree that it started slow but the ending was good.

Robyn (robynr) While I enjoyed the novel, it didn't quite live up to the hype I've been hearing about it. It had a dreamy Gothic quality to the writing style, but I really didn't feel a connection to the characters.
Did anyone else get the impression of a traditional fairytale with the style of the plot structure, rather than a modern novel?

Laurie | 26 comments I loved this book! It's been on my TBR for quite some time, and I'm so glad I finally got around to it. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite fairy tale and I love re-imaginings. This one was so unique. I really enjoyed how all the elements of the traditional tale are there, but everything is presented in a new way so it feels fresh and can definitely stand as its own story.

My favorite characters are definitely Nyx and Ignifex. I loved Nyx's strength and Ignifex's sense of humor. I disliked Nyx's sister from the beginning, but all the characters were interesting.

I can't pick a favorite part, but I can say that the part in the last 1/3 of the book when Nyx has to make her big decision was truly nerve-wracking for me. I felt real anxiety about her choice and wasn't sure how it would all turn out.

I thoroughly enjoyed Hodge's writing style and I'm looking forward to reading her other books.

P.S. The audiobook is fantastic!

Jasmine | 5194 comments I loved this book. I thought it was fantastic. Nxy was such a complex heroine and believable. The author has a strong writing style and I was completely enthralled with the book. It sucked me in and wrenched a whirlwind of emotions out of me. This was the first book I've read in a while that I just could not put down.