50 books to read before you die discussion

Doctor Sleep
This topic is about Doctor Sleep

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (last edited Feb 11, 2017 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Our group read for February 2017 from our open nominations is Doctor Sleep

Buck (spectru) It's been a long time since I read The Shining. I always felt that the shining, the telepathic connection between Danny and Dick Hallorann was superfluous, extraneous. Even though the book was named after it, it wasn't needed for the story of the haunted Overlook Hotel.

Now I'm nearly halfway through Doctor Sleep. The shining is what makes the story.

Buck (spectru) Finished Doctor Sleep, after an interruption. A good read. Never a dull moment. King's horror adventures are always quite readable and this is no exception.

Kayleigh | 77 comments I liked how it felt seamless, the events picking up right after the end of The Shining, amazing considering the amount of time that's past.

I also really liked the parallels between Danny and Jack, I found that really interesting and to be honest not what I was expecting.

Over all I really enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed the Shining. Doctor Sleep felt more like a thriller than a horror, still definitely worth the read.

Buck (spectru) Doctor Sleep got 12 votes in the poll, Kayleigh, but with two days remaining in the month it looks as if only you and I have read it.

Anybody else reading Doctor Sleep?

Christine I'm reading it but I'm over half way through and really enjoying it. I will post my comments when I'm finished.

Christine Kayleigh wrote: "I liked how it felt seamless, the events picking up right after the end of The Shining, amazing considering the amount of time that's past.

I also really liked the parallels between Danny and Jack..."

I agree with you and love the twists in the plot that, for me, were completely unexpected (using momo's red mist) for example. Stephen King is a great story teller.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Doctor Sleep (other topics)