Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > jan 2017 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments A good start to the year. Here are my January reads:

Top Reads

Darktown by Thomas Mullen Darktown
Thomas Mullen
Very good historical crime fiction that was well written, atmospheric, and had such interesting characterizations both major and supporting. Set in post World War 2 Atlanta, the plot revolved around the first African-American police officers hired by the city. Listened to the audio version which was read by Andre Holland who gave a nice performance.

The Choirboys by Joseph Wambaugh The Choirboys
Joseph Wambaugh
Published back in 1975, this books looks at a group of policeman on the night beat in Los Angles and shows how they get through their job each night warts and all. Maybe a bit too long, this had some dark humor but was also a disturbing though seemingly realistic read.

Good Reads

Dog on It by Spencer Quinn Dog on It
Spencer Quinn
A very different kind of PI novel since the first person narration was provided by Chet the canine half of the Little Detective Agency. Chet was great and Bernie, the human half of the partnership, was pretty competent too. The plot revolved around a missing person case and was fine. Listened to the audio version which was read by Jim Frangione who did a great job channeling Chet.

Empty Ever After by Reed Farrel Coleman Empty Ever After
Reed Farrel Coleman
Not a book that would really stand alone well but it does a good job of tying up all the loose ends and revisiting the characters from the previous books. For me, it was not quite up to the standards of the other entries in the series but Moe is a great character and the writing was as well done as always.

Deep Waters (Cetin Ikmen, #4) by Barbara Nadel Deep Waters
Barbara Nadel
Istanbul police inspector Ikmen investigates the murder of a young ethnic Albanian in the fourth book of this series. Though a bit too long with a plot that was overly stuffed with various side stories, I always find the Turkish setting fascinating and found this to be an enjoyable read.

Smoke and Whispers (The Oxford Investigations, #4) by Mick Herron Smoke and Whispers
Mick Herron
While the writing and characters were as well done as in the previous entries in this series, the plotting was not quite as pulled together. Still, an enjoyable and suspenseful read.

Suspicious Minds by Martin Edwards Suspicious Minds
Martin Edwards
Set in Liverpool and featuring a solicitor whose client's wife has disappeared, this was a solidly entertaining read with nice characterizations and a suspenseful plot.

Stolen Prey by John Sandford Stolen Prey
John Sandford
I really enjoyed the plot in this entry of the Lucas Davenport series though at times it was a bit gruesome. Lucas and his crew were as entertaining as always and the narration of the audio version by Richard Ferrone was up to his usual top notch standard.

Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6) by Anne George Murder Shoots the Bull
Anne George
The Southern Sisters manage to get caught up in another murder investigation in this fun, light entry in the series. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Ruth Ann Phimister who always does such a good job with the characters.

OK

Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen Native Tongue
Carl Hiaasen
A bit on the Meh side for me. Typical Florida wacky type plot with the usual outlandish situations and characters. Listened to the audio version narrated by George Wilson whose performance helped get me through the book.

message 2: by Dan in AZ (new)

Dan in AZ | 2614 comments Nice month, Sandi. You really dug up an oldie but goodie with The Choirboys.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3586 comments Good month! I read The Choirboys probably 40 years ago!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1592 comments I've read the Choirboys! I also love Spencer Quinn and Anne George.

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7759 comments Nice selection, Sandi. The Choirboys sounds good, as does Suspicious Minds, which I'm going to look for.

I've decided to reread the Prey series, and just got the first in the series from the library. I remember the younger Lucas Davenport as being a bit of a brute, and the crimes serial killerish, but I'm hoping the humor was there at the beginning, I just don't remember.

message 6: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1181 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "I've decided to reread the Prey series, and just got the first in the series from the library. I remember the younger Lucas Davenport as being a bit of a brute, and the crimes serial killerish, but I'm hoping the humor was there at the beginning, I just don't remember. "

I read the first three books almost twenty years ago but then took a break from the series for about seven years and I think it was because the plots revolved around serial killers too much. I then started listening to them on audio and now always enjoy both Lucas and Virgil.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14175 comments Good month Sandi! As always your various series books sound intriguing. I loved the Anne George books. good memories.
Darktown was a very good kick-off to our 2017 group read books. I also thought it was very well written and very well narrated. I look forward to more from Thomas Mullen, it's good to know he is going to write a couple more like Darktown. .