Together Women Rise Book Club discussion

Poor Economics > Let's Start! What is the most interesting takeaway from this so far? Maybe you're finished or you've read just the first chapter

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth Ellen (new)

Beth Ellen Holimon (bethellenbe) | 8 comments Who's first?

message 2: by Cat|Heron (new)

Cat|Heron Steele | 3 comments Hi, All -- I haven't located or secured the book, yet -- trying to get it from my local public library. Looking forward to your comments.
Cat

message 3: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments Cat, I got my copy for about $8 from Amazon. Since we have Prime, I got it the next day!

message 4: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments Beth Ellen wrote: "Who's first?"
Be: I've just started reading. Impressed by the authors' credentials and their willingness to split hairs...not a one size fits all approach. It has been years since I read a whole book on economics, but I'm finding it very helpful.

message 5: by Cat|Heron (new)

Cat|Heron Steele | 3 comments I am not set up on my computer to use Amazon. I support my local public library and use our local second-hand bookstore. I'll let you know as soon as I get it. thanks, cat

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Baxter | 4 comments The book was N/A at Amazon but just rec'd it from inter-library loan.
Looks interesting.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris King | 2 comments Just getting started, but I am familiar with some of their studies. RCT's although very informative are expensive and often cost prohibitive for NGO's. I'm looking forward to reading about the information gathered from them but, but on a practical level I am looking forward to reading up on the other ways they collected data and do analysis of effectiveness.
Is DFW considering funding a RCT in a certain area?
-Chris King

message 8: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments I'm about 100 pages into it. It reminds me how difficult it is for NGO's to prove results that transform lives. They can count how many kids went to school, but who is evaluating what they learn? Opened my eyes to the necessarily poor quality of education when teachers are not held accountable, even for attendance.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Baxter | 4 comments Yes I saw this in Rwanda where the really poor had no money for uniforms, notebooks or paper and pens for school even tho school is free. And their textbooks are very old and out of date...
quality of education and quality of health care record are not always measured and can make such a difference. The authors are correct (in my limited experience) in surmising that when the quality of the care is poor, the poor see little reason to access it.

message 10: by Lindy (new)

Lindy Cater | 10 comments BethEllen and DFW friends...I am dropping out of this discussion group because I will be part of the Member Discussion Forum. However, since this is wide open I am going to encourage my chapter members to become part of the Goodreads group. It such a great idea!

message 11: by Linda Andrews (new)

Linda Andrews | 4 comments I'm just through the chapter on hunger. So far I like the contrast of the two theories (poverty trap vs. no poverty trap) as it applies to different topics, hunger being the first. Mid chapter I was very frustrated with their findings of no poverty trap for food. I would have assumed otherwise, especially with all the food shortages in sub-Sahara Africa attributable to drought (climate change). Towards the end, they finally addressed quality and micronutrients, then I felt more at ease with their conclusions.

It's been years but I did study quite a bit of economics and went on to study Statistics in graduate school. So reading this is fun and brings an old passion and new passion (global issues on poverty) together.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda Baxter | 4 comments I really like how the authors explain the reasoning behind the choices the poor make. For instance that they choose small indulgences at times (just like we do) or that they prefer foods that taste good rather than what is considered are healthy (also like many of us). The concept that aid donors should accept this idea and work with it I think is new. Donors may have felt that they decide whats best and the poor should appreciate and embrace their plan.
Also liked their theories behind behind why the poor may have beliefs that cause them to spend money on inadequate medical treatments. Interesting ideas about "bribing" with cash transfers as well as making new actions the default requiring opt-out vs opt-in.
Linda B