Challenge: 50 Books discussion

News of the World
This topic is about News of the World
Group Reads > February Group Read -- News of the World

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments Hi, everyone, during the month of February 2017, we will be readin News of the World by Paulette Jiles. February is a short month, but this book is even shorter -- only 209 pages -- so, I thought it might be best to read it in two weeks, rather than a whole month. This works out especially good for me, since I have the book out on a 14-day loan.

From February 2 - 8 we will discuss pages 1 through 108, which are chapters 1 - 11

From February 9 -16 we will discuss pages 109 though 209, which are chapters 12 - 21 (the end).

This book has gotten high rating so far on Goodreads, and I am looking forward to reading it. Hope you are, too.

Susan

Ann A (readerann) | 761 comments I got this from the library, but won't be able to start it for a few days because I'm finishing up another book that is overdue. Hope to join in soon!

message 3: by Susan (last edited Feb 09, 2017 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments I'm sure you'll be able to catch up.

message 4: by Susan (last edited Feb 09, 2017 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments Okay, I have read the first week's assignment, which is roughly the first half of the book. Full disclosure: I listened to the audio book for almost all of the first half of the book, but switched over to reading it because the library wanted its audio back. I am sort of okay with the book, but had expected to like it better because of the great ratings it has been getting. Also, I fell in love with the idea of the book from its description. But, the love is not coming so far. With chapter 11, however, it seems like some action is about to happen, and first half was just setting the ground work.

Any thoughts on this?

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments I am sorry that there was no discussion on this book, because I believe the book was worth it. I hope some of you will pick it up and enjoy it as much as I did.

My comment after reading it: I have never read a book quite like this. The book is only slightly over 200 pages long, and the first 100 pages seemed to me just so so. Nice descriptive language, so maybe 2.5 stars. But right at the midpoint of the book something happens that truly unites the two characters. Then it continues on. Then, in the last 20 pages, the book, and the characters gripped my heart and wouldn't let go. A very long buildup to a great ending that earns the book -- 5 stars.

Ann A (readerann) | 761 comments Life got in the way, but I still hope to read this by the end of the month...

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments Good

Ann A (readerann) | 761 comments I found this to be a captivating, well-written novel. A few times I did think the poetic, descriptive language got in the way of the story.

The author's note is interesting, where he states that white children captured by Native American tribes seem to "become Indian in every way", and can rarely re-adjust when returned to their non-native familes.

Susan (chlokara) | 846 comments Ann, I have read that in many places about captives wanting to stay with their Native captors and have wondered at that. How did they manage to convert them so completely, even though the captives were often treated harshly? One can understand with very young children who are too young to keep memories of their previous life, but older children who must have had strong bonds with their families and communities seemed to think that way, too.

Ann A (readerann) | 761 comments Susan wrote: "Ann, I have read that in many places about captives wanting to stay with their Native captors and have wondered at that. How did they manage to convert them so completely, even though the captives ..."

I'm thinking a big part of it may be the connection with the earth/nature. I would imagine that gets "in the blood".

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

News of the World (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Paulette Jiles (other topics)