Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

Mock Caldecott 2018 > Caldecott 2018 Watch List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 253 comments Mod
Have you read a contender for 2018 yet? Let us know.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments I sure have. The Legendary Miss Lena Horne by Carole Boston Weatherford. It is spectacular in every way.

message 3: by Beverly (last edited Feb 02, 2017 01:14PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Egg
Almost wordless; most of the story is in the illustrations.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Beverly wrote: "Egg
Almost wordless; most of the story is in the illustrations."

Yes! Love it!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Will you be reading books each month this year? I found this group late last year and would like to participate more this year.

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacydigi) | 37 comments This House, Once by Deborah Freedman was beautiful.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Stacy wrote: "This House, Once by Deborah Freedman was beautiful."

It is stunning. I was filled with emotion reading it. Simple but powerful.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) | 21 comments Beverly wrote: "Egg
Almost wordless; most of the story is in the illustrations."

Egg is really spectacular. It looks simple but it holds up so well to being read over and over (and over).

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 3 comments How about A Perfect Day by Lane Smith? And Little Fox in the Forest by Stephanie Graegin?

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Ellen wrote: "How about A Perfect Day by Lane Smith? And Little Fox in the Forest by Stephanie Graegin?"

A Perfect Day is whimsical and stunning. I'm not quite over Lane's There is a Tribe of Kids not winning a Caldecott for 2016. It was wonderful. Little Fox in the Forest is lovely.

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 253 comments Mod
Jennifer wrote: "Will you be reading books each month this year? I found this group late last year and would like to participate more this year."

Yes, Jennifer welcome. We typically read 3-4 and occasionally 6 books a month. Read all of them or just a few, we appreciate your comments.

Niki (Daydream Reader) | 42 comments I also loved A Perfect Day! You Don't Want a Unicorn is hilarious! Not sure if it is Caldecott worthy...but a fun book to read with students.

message 13: by Alyx (new)

Alyx Campbell | 6 comments Little Fox in the Forest is gorgeous and heartwarming. I loved the story it told!

message 14: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacydigi) | 37 comments I enjoyed Little Fox in the Forest as well. But I'd have to say my favorite book so far this year is Triangle by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Jon Klassen. What a dynamic duo!

message 15: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Ellen wrote: "How about A Perfect Day by Lane Smith? And Little Fox in the Forest by Stephanie Graegin?"

I finally saw a copy of A Perfect Day & I loved it!

message 16: by Alyx (new)

Alyx Campbell | 6 comments I'm obsessed with The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet. Everytime I read it to a group of preschoolers or elementary kids, I am so wowed by the thoughtful conversation it promotes. And the bleed with the kee-kee-ke-ree when the rooster is in the dark is so powerful. I loved the illustrations and the story.

message 17: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Alyx wrote: "I'm obsessed with The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet. Everytime I read it to a group of preschoolers or elementary kids, I am so wowed by the thoughtful conversation it promotes. And the bleed with..."

I liked the story and the depiction of the rooster and other chickens; I personally did not like the distorted depiction of the people's faces.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Alyx wrote: "I'm obsessed with The Rooster Who Would Not Be Quiet. Everytime I read it to a group of preschoolers or elementary kids, I am so wowed by the thoughtful conversation it promotes. And the bleed with..."

I didn't like this one very much.

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Just read Olivia the Spy by Ian Falconer. It is incredible! Falconer hasn't released an Olivia picture book in years. Olivia the Spy is classic Falconer. Clever, so funny with amazing illustrations. A definite Caldecott hopeful!

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Dean | 41 comments Stacy wrote: "I enjoyed Little Fox in the Forest as well. But I'd have to say my favorite book so far this year is Triangle by Mac Barnett and illustrated by Jon Klassen. What a dynamic duo!"

Not a fan of Klassen but I haven't seen this book yet.

message 21: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 85 comments In addition to some of the ones listed above, I've read and enjoyed Tony, illustrated by Erin Stead; Wolf in the Snow by Matthew Cordell; This House, Once by Deborah Freedman; and Laundry Day by Jessixa Bagley. The Secret Project is a harsh, eye opener - a must read by Jonah Winter.

Niki (Daydream Reader) | 42 comments The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors is hilarious!!!

message 23: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 69 comments I'm not over Lane Smith not be honored for "Tribe",
it simply was a huge miss.
A Perfect Day is another beautiful book from him.
Let's see if this group on the Caldecott committee can get anything right.
I'm not even hanging up the new winners poster this year.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Caren wrote: "I'm not over Lane Smith not be honored for "Tribe",
it simply was a huge miss.
A Perfect Day is another beautiful book from him.
Let's see if this group on the Caldecott committee can get anything..."

Tribe was glorious. I'm stunned that it was overlooked as well.

message 25: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 3 comments Anyone see Ice Boy by David Ezra Stein? Love the illustrations and how they complement the story
!

message 26: by Alyx (new)

Alyx Campbell | 6 comments Love the new Jerry Pinkney retelling of The Three Billy Goats

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Alyx wrote: "Love the new Jerry Pinkney retelling of The Three Billy Goats"

It is beautiful. I would not expect anything less of Mr. Pinkney.

message 28: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Alyx wrote: "Love the new Jerry Pinkney retelling of The Three Billy Goats"

I really liked it, too!

message 29: by Beverly (last edited May 19, 2017 09:40PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Just read The Hawk of the Castle: A Story of Medieval Falconry. It has gorgeous acrylic gouache paintings by Bagram Ibatoulline (resident of New York), and a great text. There is one really nice painting of the hawk in the air and its aerial view. I hope it is seriously considered by the Committee.

message 30: by Maggi (new)

Maggi Rohde (mama_librarian) | 18 comments Triangle is already the front runner with my students. Klassen is huge at my school.

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 85 comments Pinkney's Three Billy Goats is a delightful read and has wonderful illustrations!

message 32: by Alyx (new)

Alyx Campbell | 6 comments What did you all think about Flowers for Sarajevo? I found it hauntingly beautiful.

message 33: by Beverly (last edited Aug 08, 2017 12:40PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Blue Sky White Stars by Sarvinder Naberhaus
Blue Sky White Stars by Sarvinder Naberhaus
Absolutely gorgeous oil paintings and a simple, but emotionally evocative poem.

message 34: by Beverly (last edited Aug 08, 2017 12:39PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Nope by Drew Sheneman
Nope by Drew Sheneman
A very funny wordless picture book with one of the most expressive baby birds I have ever seen.

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Beverly wrote: "Nope by Drew Sheneman
Nope by Drew Sheneman
A very funny wordless picture book with one of the most expressive baby birds I have ever seen."

I know what you mean. It's hilarious, too!

message 36: by Beverly (last edited Aug 08, 2017 09:37PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Laura wrote: I know what you mean. It's hilarious, too!"

I whole-heartedly agree!

message 37: by C (new)

C (maylambs) | 6 comments Little Fox in the Forest is great--personally I'm really looking forward to seeing the new Oliver Jeffers, Here We Are, out in November. He lives in New York now so should be eligible!

message 38: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (wilburwhateley) The Mermaid by Jan Brett caught my eye. It's a retelling of Goldilocks, but Goldilocks is a mermaid named Kiniro and the three bears are three octopuses. It's packed full of the most gorgeous under-the-sea watercolors ever. Each page is this crazy intricate underwater world. I love it!

The Mermaid by Jan Brett

message 39: by Leslie (last edited Aug 16, 2017 04:33PM) (new)

Leslie Moon | 10 comments Two recent, starred-reviewed, beautiful books for consideration:

"NOW" by writer/illustrator Antoinette Portis
- painterly, kid-friendly, and somehow profound.

"THE POMEGRANATE WITCH" illustrated by Eliza Wheeler
- gorgeous palette, wonderfully realized characters, beyond sweet and moving.

message 40: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Carolyn wrote: "The Mermaid by Jan Brett caught my eye. It's a retelling of Goldilocks, but Goldilocks is a mermaid named Kiniro and the three bears are three octopuses. It's packed full of the most gorgeous under..."

Impatiently waiting for a copy from the library!

message 41: by Carol (new)

Carol  V (vanhookc) | 85 comments There are so many outstanding books this year, so far! The books starring Mighty Moby, Tony, and Alfred Fiddleduckling top my favorites as Caldecott contenders.

message 42: by Beverly (last edited Sep 19, 2017 03:41PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Carol wrote: "There are so many outstanding books this year, so far! The books starring Mighty Moby, Tony, and Alfred Fiddleduckling top my favorites as Caldecott contenders."

I just read Mighty Moby and I think it should be a Caldecott contender, also.
Mighty Moby by Ed Young

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Beverly wrote: "Carol wrote: "There are so many outstanding books this year, so far! The books starring Mighty Moby, Tony, and Alfred Fiddleduckling top my favorites as Caldecott contenders."

I just read [book:Mi..."

I'm not sure there is a book Ed Young has illustrated that isn't Caldecott worthy :)

message 44: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1 comments Has anyone read Peter Sis's new book Robinson?

I also really enjoyed That Neighborhood Kid by Daniel Miyares. From the cover art, both jacket and cover, to end papers the illustrations tell a great story of a developing friendship, and working together. the color and mood of the story brighten with each page. Definitely see this as a possible contender.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Pam wrote: "Has anyone read Peter Sis's new book Robinson?

I also really enjoyed That Neighborhood Kid by Daniel Miyares. From the cover art, both jacket and cover, to end papers the illustrations tell a gre..."

I have read both. Definite contenders.

message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Dean | 41 comments This is the best time of the year, anticipating which one will win. It's hard on my pocket book, though, but I will have my Children's Lit class pour over the books and vote in January so its worth it. Here are my favorites so far...not in any order, since I love them all...
"NOPE". The expressions on the birds are priceless. I think this is a strong contender.
"The Antlered Boat"-illustrations are beautiful, and the illustrator adds clever perspectives. it's got a chance.
"The Book of Mistakes"-brilliant! So creative.
"The Perfect Day"-best expressions and fun story plot.
"After the Fall"-clever, and Sandtat's illustrations tell the story of his delightful tale.
"Wolf in the Snow"-another wordless book, so the illlustrations must tell the story, and they do!
"Mighty Moby"-not sure about the 'red' that speaks volumes, until the end...a great twist and a clever illustration style added.
I am a fan of Floyd Cooper-his book, "The Ring Bearer" has a misty look that adds emotion to the story.

message 47: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 373 comments Patty said: "The Antlered Boat"-illustrations are beautiful, and the illustrator adds clever perspectives. it's got a chance.

I loved this book! But I have a question. The Fan brothers live in Canada. I read where at least one of them was born in Illinois. So, I was not sure if they would be eligible for a Caldecott or not. Does anyone know?

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Harrison | 341 comments Beverly wrote: "Patty said: "The Antlered Boat"-illustrations are beautiful, and the illustrator adds clever perspectives. it's got a chance.

I loved this book! But I have a question. The Fan brothers live in Can..."

This should be a Jeopardy question :) Yes, they are eligible.

message 49: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments Laura wrote: "Stacy wrote: "This House, Once by Deborah Freedman was beautiful."

It is stunning. I was filled with emotion reading it. Simple but powerful."

I haven't read much this year but loved "This House, Once"!

message 50: by Kimbra (new)

Kimbra Power (kimbrapower) | 2 comments I loved Little Fox in the Forest by Stephanie Graegin

« previous 1