Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Heartless
This topic is about Heartless
Archive - Additional Reads > Heartless - February 2017

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5808 comments Mod
Heartless by Marissa Meyer was voted by our members as our additional read for the YA Fantasy nominee.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished this one and I thought it was excellent. I loved the way Marissa Meyer took the story and got Cath from one place in her life to another. I didn't always love Cath, but this was mostly a great story. I look forward to seeing what everyone else thinks about it.

Also, I love that cover! What do you think of it?

Vicki Willis | 813 comments I read this one recently and thought the cover was great.
I was not familiar with Alice in Wonderland and don't usually read fairy tales, but this really held my interest.
Cath was incredibly annoying, but I loved how her character progressed and changed.
The ending was cool to me. I liked (view spoiler)
I was really glad I gave this one a shot.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I also just finished this and I enjoyed it. However, I did find it a bit repetitive. Also, it was really hard not to compare it to the Lunar Chronicles.

Vicki Willis | 813 comments Matthew wrote: "I also just finished this and I enjoyed it. However, I did find it a bit repetitive. Also, it was really hard not to compare it to the Lunar Chronicles."

Maybe I should try that one (it is a series, right?).
I think I told you once, Matthew, that I wasn't a YA reader and then discovered that it is one of my fav genres. Maybe that will be the case for fairy tales as well!

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments Vicki wrote: "Matthew wrote: "I also just finished this and I enjoyed it. However, I did find it a bit repetitive. Also, it was really hard not to compare it to the Lunar Chronicles."

Maybe I should try that on..."

Yes - 5 book series starting with Cinder. It was great (note: I listened to the whole thing)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - Try the Lunar Chronicles! I thought they were really good. :) It is a fun series and it is complete now, so you don't have to wait for any more releases.

Matthew - How did you find it in comparison to Lunar Chronicles. I didn't really compare as I read, though I can see an easy comparison to Fairest.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments Kristie wrote: "Vicki - Try the Lunar Chronicles! I thought they were really good. :) It is a fun series and it is complete now, so you don't have to wait for any more releases.

Matthew - How did you find it in ..."

It wasn't really the content or story that made me compare it, it was just the fact that I spent a lot of last year with the Lunar Chronicles. Since this is another Marrisa Meyer I kept thinking back as I was reading looking for hints of the same feel.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I see. And did you get the same feel from it? I don't think I did.

Matthew (funkygman007) | 121 comments I agree - not really. Definitely liked the Lunar Chronicles better.

message 11: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 1994 comments Mod
I loved the Lunar Chronicles and I remember not being interested beforehand because of the cyborg aspect. Same here, I'm really not a big fan of Alice in Wonderlands (yes one of the few) but I know I should give it a go!

message 12: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

So I started this one, read 10% and so far I'm not impressed. :(

message 13: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4011 comments Mod
Most of the reviews I've seen have said it takes a while to get going.

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Lynn wrote: "Most of the reviews I've seen have said it takes a while to get going."

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep going a little more than :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heartless (other topics)
Fairest (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marissa Meyer (other topics)