Our Shared Shelf discussion

The Vagina Monologues
This topic is about The Vagina Monologues
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Questions for Eve Ensler!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 109 (109 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 364 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,
Emma will be interviewing Eve Ensler later this month and would love to ask her some questions that you may have for her?
Please respond below with your question for Eve and Emma will do her best to ask as many as she can!

Many thanks,
Jo

message 2: by Ross (new) - added it

Ross | 1444 comments Great news.

I would ask if Eve was compiling the book now would she include different stories to reflect the current discussions in and around feminism

Anne Elisabeth   (anneelisabeth) | 73 comments Why is the title "The Vagina Monologues" still challenging today? What is it about the female reproductive organs that cause such debate?

Emma Clement (emmatclement) | 1933 comments Thanks for this opportunity to ask questions!!

Is there a specific monologue that spoke/speaks to you more than others?

You also mention that many people faint, always during the same part of the monologues, when it's being performed. What part of the monologues is that? I couldn't tell from reading the book!!

Do you have any advice for people trying to get others to read this book even though it has "vagina" in the title? I want to get both of my parents to read it, but I don't discuss vaginas with them often, so just mentioning this book title makes them respond negatively/awkwardly (I've tried to get them to read it and failed).

Simone | 85 comments Thanks for the opportunity! here are my questions :
Of all these monologues which impressed you the most?
What inspired you to write such a book? & how you come up with this title?
How you respond when people act negatively?&How to talk these people into reading this book?

Marian Tarko (mariantarko) | 3 comments Great! I'd like to ask her if there is any topic that was not included in the book that she feels she must include if she were writing it today?

Clarissa Lunday | 43 comments I'd love the opportunity to get this question asked: How did all of the interviews make you feel?

Isabella | 4 comments Have you ever considered to go interviewing some ladies that are protesting against Trump? In order to write a new little book (this time with pictures) and give it to him so that he can read about what it means to be a women in today's society, to be sexually assaulted, or to take a difficult decision such as abortion. maybe this will, at least, help him to develop a new prospective on this.

message 9: by Savannah, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2017 02:17AM) (new) - added it

Savannah (dssharris) | 320 comments Mod
How do you think The Vagina Monologues can effect today's society as opposed to when it was first written? How has the impact changed?

Andrea Bambi | 53 comments Thanks for this opportunity!
Dear Eve,
from your book I learned what is the true essence of the concept behind the word "vagina". But what I didn't get is WHY is the world (including women) so afraid of that? What's so scary about vaginas? Is it all about female empowerment?

message 11: by Annaliza (new)

Annaliza Christie | 2 comments I had the pleasure of reading a few of your monologues at my university. Thank you for taking the time to interview these ladies to compile their stories (and your own) for everyone to hear and feel. What are your thoughts on "political correctness" and how it has evolved for today's youth and feminism?

Caroline | 1 comments Thanks for the amazing opportunity. Looking forward to hearing the interview !
My question is simple : will we be able one day to read the second volume ? I felt quite frustrated with the Vaginas Monologues because it was too short. I'd like to hear more stories and why not more recent stories since the world has changed and maybe the vagina is seen differently now ?

Thank you :)

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Kielman | 1 comments What are your views on Trump's woman rhetoric?

Chase | 4 comments My question for Eve is what was the hardest monologue for her to put together, and why was it?

Carolina Echavarría (carolinaep) | 6 comments When I read the book, I felt that there were topics related to viginas that interest me but weren't included in it, specially obstetric violence, since it can include humiliation, violation of women's decitions over their own body, invasive practices like episiotomy even when they're not needed, among others. So it makes me question: What are your thoughts on the topic?, have you been told stories about it? and if so, why didn't you include them on the monologues?

message 16: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Shalvey-Phelan | 1 comments I would like to ask if the reception of the vagina monologues has visibly changed from its advent to the present day. I also wanted to know if Eve thinks that the reason for such unease around vaginas, particularly among men, is a result of their own insecurities or as a result of societal conditioning that only presents a certain facet of what the vagina is and represents?

message 17: by Morghan (new)

Morghan | 3 comments Hello. I would like to ask Eve, what she thinks the most effective form of protest against Donald Trump's anti-women policies is?

Thanks

message 18: by Ginny (new)

Ginny Whitehouse | 6 comments 1) In my university, the women who do the show each year bond and really develop a community. How does that community develop elsewhere? Is there a national community of Monologue performers?

2) I know theater groups have to sign a contract that they won't edit out the "controversial" sections. How has that been a problem and what have you done about it?

message 19: by constance (last edited Feb 06, 2017 10:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

constance (velvetaradise) | 1 comments great news!

The Vagina Monologues really changed my life. I became more affective with my own body and started to know myself in ways I've never thought of.

I wanted to ask Eve what are her opinion on feminism nowadays. Also, what does she think of the way boys are raised? Are they also suppressed by the society and their family on being the typical stereotype of a "tough guy"?

And i wanted to know what are her thoughts on the women role in the world today.

And for the last question: are you planning on writing a second part?

message 20: by Mencía (new)

Mencía | 2 comments Wow I love Emma and I would love if she can sew my comment !

The question I would love Emma to do Eve is how was she inspired to write the book !???

Please you will make my day if Emma sees this question !

message 21: by Mencía (new)

Mencía | 2 comments Emma I love u!

message 22: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi Gosset | 17 comments Thanks to emma to ask these questions:
Eve, why would this book title seem "taboo" to some people?
And what would you say, in one sentence, to fight gender inequality ?

Naomi, 14years old

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam (muffcakesog) How do you think the responses would be if you made the book now versus when you did it years ago? Do you think you'd get the same answers in your interviews? Do you think we as a whole have grown or are still stuck in the same times -- afraid of the "pussy" power we all have?

I think it would be interesting to do another round of interviews just to see the growth of our culture and how women are perceived.

message 24: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam | 2 comments What will de-stigmatising the term "vagina" achieve for gender equality?

message 25: by Marzie (new)

Marzie | 10 comments We seem to be moving in reverse at present in the US, with respect both to societal equality and women's reproductive choice issues. The Vagina Monologues are as relevant as ever. What are your thoughts about how art and culture should try to help hold the ground for women's rights?

message 26: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi Gosset | 17 comments An other question I forgot to ask: Do you think it is interesting that young people (like teenagers e.g. ) read this book ?
Thanks,

Naomi 14years old

Rosemary With all the recent events in America that are decidedly very anti-vagina freedom (i.e. global gag rule, lack of representation in the cabinet and just Trump in general...), what are her prescribed ways of tackling this?

message 28: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Crooks (vanessacrooks) | 6 comments Dearest Emma and Eve: looking back in my life, I have come to realize that I was very lucky, because my upbringing never made me feel like I was less of a person for being a woman, or that I should grow up to be ashamed of my sexuality, or that my gender should be any kind of hindrance to my goals. But as I became an adult, I have come across so many women who weren't as lucky, who have been made to feel smaller, less worthy, less capable. And then there are those who judge other women for petty things like appearance and social life, etc, women who trash-talk other women, call them derogatory terms. And that kind of behavior is already hard-wired in their minds.
My question is: what can I do to start helping those women into helping themselves? Because debating about it has not worked so far. And it's not like I'm trying to make them think like me, I understand feminism as a very broad definition, and everybody is entitled to their own views, but I'm sick of the judging and the pitting woman vs woman, and I try to be so diplomatic about it, but it hasn't worked so far. Is there any one statement that can somehow make these women finally start thinking "maybe the way I have talked/acted toward other women has been wrong"?

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy (AmyxSofia) | 1 comments I agree with Anne :) Why is the title "The Vagina Monologues" still challenging today? What is it about the female reproductive organs that cause such debate?

message 30: by Boydconklin (new)

Boydconklin | 1 comments Dear Emma and Eve, What is your take on the events at UC Berkeley with Milo's visit the other day, do you support free speech, only support your own speech, violence is justified if you disagree with ones opinion, do you know that the animals you have created will eventually turn on you. All the best, Boyd

message 31: by Robin (last edited Feb 09, 2017 12:25PM) (new)

Robin (z_rob) | 128 comments Hello Eve and Emma! It's great that both of you reunite !
Eve, Did you personally see a real rise of consciousness around you since you published your book?
PS: let's impulse a change on the world!
Best, Robin

message 32: by Coral (new)

Coral | 1 comments I loved Mad Max Fury Road and the characterisations of all the different women. What was it like working on the movie? Were you surprised by the reactions some groups had to the film?

message 33: by Mimi (last edited Feb 06, 2017 01:38PM) (new)

Mimi (missanalytical) I am a member of the cast of this year's production of the "Vagina" Monologues at UC San Diego. Many students, especially students of color (like myself) and students who fall under the LGBTQ+ umbrella felt excluded from the original pieces. So, we added "HerStories," four original pieces written by UC San Diego students addressing current intersectional issues not mentioned in the original pieces.

Do you agree that the "Vagina" Monologues needs to be updated to reflect a more intersectional world? How can the "Vagina" Monologues move from focusing on the issues of cisgendered white heterosexual women?

message 34: by Shana (new) - added it

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 89 comments Dear Eve and Emma,

Thank you for having a Q&A for The Vagina Monologues and answering our questions. I loved the monologues very much.

You described in monologues how some women felt uncomfortable talking about vaginas. Do you think women are more comfortable talking about vaginas now than when you first interviewed women for The Vagina Monologues? Do you think there will come a time when talking about vaginas won't be taboo?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Shana

message 35: by Katrina (last edited Feb 06, 2017 03:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katrina (katesoteric) | 3 comments 1. Since it's been over 20 years since this was first published, would you ever consider writing something similar to this again? Do you believe it would be any different, and if so, in what ways? (And if not, why?)

2. Would you consider publishing a similar book that is also inclusive of transgender people? I know in 2004 you were involved with an all-transgender performance of The Vagina Monologues, and I think circulating a book that tackles the stigma against both being transgender and being a woman would make a powerful impact.

3. What was the public's reaction when this was first published? How would the reactions be different if it was published today?

message 36: by Guenojds (new)

Guenojds Jdsav | 4 comments Hi Eve and Emma ! I wanna ask you something which seems interesting to me: in "The Vagina Monologues", women interviewed are ones we all can meet in the street so they use their own words but, if you ask to mediatics women, do you think they'd use personal words to talk about their vagina ? And, how does this reveal the censure of this controverse word ? Thanks a lot if you'll answer !

Cassandra White | 6 comments Hello Eve and Emma! I am very curious about the Penis Dialogs and what role eve feels they have in continuing dialogue about gender. They are certainly less known. I am currently a theater PhD student at Florida State University and in several classes where we have talked about The Vagina Monologues people have said that a corollary for those identifying his mail should be created. I tell them that it has been. Eve is quoted on the cover of the dialogs, so I am curious as to what about this particular project drew her interest.

message 38: by Callie (new)

Callie R. | 1 comments Hi Eve,

I had the honor of performing in The Vagina Monologues in college, as the piece "My Vagina was My Village." I love your work. I'd like to ask you something specific about today's political climate: how do we keep forward momentum for women's rights, when one of the largest obstacles are women? As with the women's suffrage movement, the biggest supporters of established misogyny (like Donald Trump) today have been women. What do we DO about that?

Thanks!
Callie

Gianinna Czareena Chavez (gianinnachavez) Hi Ms. Jacklyn Shore and Emma,

I'd like to ask Ms. Eve where she got her strength/inspiration in writing The Vagina Monologues. And what message would she like to send out to women who are still afraid to stand up for themselves?

Thank you!

This question is from Ninai Chavez (all the way from Philippines)

Gianinna Czareena Chavez (gianinnachavez) Hi Ms. Jacklyn Shore and Emma,

I'd like to ask Ms. Eve where she got her strength/inspiration in writing The Vagina Monologues. And what message would she like to send out to women who are still afraid to stand up for themselves?

Thank you!

This question is from Ninai Chavez (all the way from Philippines)

message 41: by Hirdesh (new)

Hirdesh (chelseafellow07) | 1 comments " How's her emotions fell over to write such an epic book with flawless adultery nature of one's being ?

Sascha (Smileylymie) | 14 comments "Is there any monologue in particular that is most inspiring to you?"

"What about the book, are you most proud of?"

"What to you, would be the most effective advice to give a women regarding her body?"

It's been such a pleasure re-reading this book, and encouraging others to do the same....Enslers' work is incredibly inspirational, and I'm honored to have this opportunity :)

message 43: by Gloriafindel (last edited Feb 07, 2017 10:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gloriafindel | 8 comments Thank you for this opportunity.
My questions for Eve are the following:
First: if she had the chance to have a monologue written by any woman, living or dead, famous or not, who will this woman be?
Second question: "The Vagina Monologues" tries to help women in their fight for equality. Is there another "social group" that in your opinion should write "monologues" to catch the attention on their rights?

message 44: by Neli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neli Borisova | 3 comments My question:

I was 25 when my boyfriend told me that my vagina was beautiful and that he liked looking at it. This was the first time I heard anyone calling a vagina 'beautiful' and I did not know what to even say at the time - I felt quite embarrassed actually. I now love my vagina and I think it's totally amazing!

Why are we brought up being told that a penis is majestic and awe-inspiring, but no one ever tells girls/women that their vaginas are beautiful? Is this a problem that can be fixed through sex education at school, or is it an issue which society as a whole must address - maybe through the normalisation of the use of the word VAGINA and through increasing the presence of and references to vaginas in the media.

PS: Have you noticed that in movies when there is a sex scene we are often shown breasts, butts and penises, but never a vagina?!

message 45: by Adam (new)

Adam Sowa | 226 comments How can a writer's words be applied in practical ways to bring about change in society?

message 46: by Inès (new) - added it

Inès | 1 comments - According to you, since the publication of Vagina Monologues, have the taboos aspects of it have changed or shifted? Are there still essentially the same as in 2005 or have we made progress ?

- In the light of recent political events, what are ways for women to change the perception of the word vagina and bring change?

I only read The Vagina Monologues and don't know much about other Eve Ensler's works, but I wondered in what dimension is the reference to penis controversial compared to the one of vagina.

message 47: by Reborn (new) - added it

Reborn Protocol | 5 comments I don't know if any of you can notice me,but I would like to express my gratitude towards Miss Emma Watson and Heforshe . I'm currently a boy in a high school in China,and I'm planning to study aboard in the UK.I grew up watching Harry potter films and I was deeply influenced by Emma's speeches and all she have done for gender equality. In my country,people and the government are holding a very unfair view towards women and in order to continue their dominion,they did everything they can to ban these campaigns related to human rights.In fact, the authority arrested a lot of feminists and other people who want justice.We are forbidden to use Apps like Facebook and Twitter because the government are afraid of these messages from other countries. In school we have a lot of regulations that limit girls. In some schools in our country boys and girls are not allow to talk with each other because these teachers worry that might their academic behaviour.Thanks to Emma and Heforshe,I know what is right and what is we are told.Now I know that each individual should take responsibility is to build a society with freedom and equality,I do realise that the ways we used to judge women are wrong.Thank you,Emma, you and your words and what you have done made me a better version of myself.

message 48: by Ishita (new) - added it

Ishita | 43 comments Hi Emma and Eve. I loved your book, Eve. I think getting this to publish and getting the readers to actually buy it is an achievement in itself. Congratulations. Given the situation in the States and elsewhere right now, it is crucial that your book is discussed as much and as far as possible.

We have seen a drastic rise in women awareness in the past few years. It is more understandable, what with people now being more mature and more mentally adaptive, how it could be easier to convince readers to give this a try now (not that I believe it was easy at all. Vaginas are still taboo even though people seem comfortable enough discussing women's breasts or men's penises) but what challenges did you face with the readers and actually getting the book on stalls/displays back when you published it? Getting the publishers to publish it with the title in itself would've been a task. Did you have any fears regarding what the society's opinion might be about you as a writer or how it could effect your career? How long did you sit on it before you finally decided to publish it and what made you take that decision?

I think a second volume would be just as enthralling considering the rise of feminism and women being more vocal than they were back then. It is still very courageous of women to have come forward and told their stories with such honesty when they did.

message 49: by Sacha (new)

Sacha Dillon | 1 comments Dear Eve,

My question is how do you respond to comments like; ‘What does she expect going out wearing that?’ or ’she clearly wants attention wearing something as revealing as that'? I was recently trying to explain to my Dad that it was not ok to assume things about a woman based on her clothes but he disagreed. He felt if someone wore something provocative or revealing they were clearly looking for a certain type of attention or else why wear it? I tried to argue that that wasn’t the case but found myself floundering.

I then told him that if I wore a mini skirt going to college that I got comments out of car windows. To which his response was if I know that will happen why wear the skirt. I should save myself the bother by just wearing something else.
What do you say to the argument that: if we know sexual harassment happens all the time then should we expect it and not wear clothes that might invite it? Or should we continue to wear what we want and give out about the harassment which ensues as a result? How do we change male attitudes towards how women dress, especially in a generation where social media sites are flooded with girls trying to show off as much of themselves as possible because it gets more likes on the picture?

This bothers me because my Dad is the most supportive person I know when it comes to empowering women and getting women into politics and the workplace. If he still carries that attitude how is there any hope for the rest of the guys I know?

Sacha, 20, Cork

message 50: by Eram (new)

Eram | 43 comments I haven't read this book and in fact I got to know about it through this group so thanks a lot. I have asked my husband that I need this book as my birthday present.

As I've not read this book yet, instead of asking any question, I would like to make a request.

Can you please include Muslim women from third world countries in any of your next projects? They really need to come out and talk. They need to be heard.

As an activist living in a third world country myself and a vocal feminist, if I can in anyway help you reaching out to these women, I would totally love to do that.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.