SciFi/Fantasy (Or Whatever Else) Book Club discussion

February 2017 > Discussion: Chapters 19-36

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethall) | 98 comments Mod
All discussion of Chapters 19-36 goes in this topic.

message 2: by Beth (new)

I'm liking this ragtag group of survivors! I really hate Dr. Caldwell, but I do like her POV chapters. She interesting and we are learning the most about the virus from her. Even though she is the villain, I am finding myself (also) fascinated by the adult zombies who haven't been completely consumed by the virus. Like the lady with the baby carriage and the singing man.

I love little Melanie, but am sad for her. She is so smart though..I think she'll figure things out. Hopefully, her ending will include Miss Justineau somehow.

I think I am on Chapter 51 so I'll write some other thoughts in that thread later. I am hoping to read some more during the Super Bowl too!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 14 comments I agree! As much as I hate Caldwell, I am still finding that I identify with her scientific analysis and desire to solve the "problem" presented by the fungus. I love that this book takes a different approach to the zombie pathogen. I have watched the nature shows about the fungus that takes over ants and makes them zombies. It makes perfect sense that the author would use it as the basis for the infection and breakdown, especially with the one sentence about it not being a natural leap for the fungus and instead that the transition was probably influenced by scientists. So scary! I keep picturing the people infected to be like what happens when you forget tupperware in the back of the fridge and a fuzzy grey mold develops on it. So gross!

message 4: by Beth (new)

It IS scary!! It makes is almost plausible. I wonder if Dr. Caldwell will be able to find a cure? As cold-hearted as she is towards poor Melanie, I do think it is her intention to find a cure. As long as she doesn't think of the hungry children (like Melanie) as human..she can be guilt free and justify her behavior. She thinks she is doing it for the greater good.