American Westerns discussion

Outrage at Blanco
This topic is about Outrage at Blanco
Group Reads > February 2017 - Outrage at Blanco

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 224 comments The winner of the February 2017 Group Reads poll is "Outrage at Blanco" by Bill Crider. Crider is a prolific author who writes in multiple genres including Mysteries and Westerns. He is also a popular blogger at http://billcrider.blogspot.com/

Please bear in mind that “Outrage at Blanco” open with a rape scene that may not be suitable for all readers.

message 2: by Still (new) - added it

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Edwin wrote: "The winner of the February 2017 Group Reads poll is "Outrage at Blanco" by Bill Crider. Crider is a prolific author who writes in multiple genres including Mysteries and Westerns. He is also a popu..."

I think I own this.
I'm a huge fan of Bill Crider.
One of the greatest authors we have and plus I like his blog, I like his intros to books by other authors, I like Bill Crider a lot.
Plus, he's from Texas & I spent some time there years ago.

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments I've got both books in the series, have read it twice now and wish he would have added more books to the series. Always like the his Ellie Taine character she was one tough lady. Guess this go around will have to leave a review

message 4: by Bobby (last edited Feb 02, 2017 11:37PM) (new)

Bobby Underwood Downloaded a sample and I'll definitely pass on reading this one.

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments If readers can get through the rape scene at the beginning, by the end of Outrage your glad you read it and you'll like Ellie. She one tough lady, who seeks vengeance, for her rape and husbands death and two evil varmints pay the ultimate price for wrong doing.

message 6: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim (timi2u) | 66 comments I agree with Mike, getting past the rape at the beginning is key, and it sets up the story to explain the determination of Ellie for the path she chooses to follow in the wake of it and the death of her husband. Very good book that I read today from cover to cover, and the first Bill Crider book that I've read, probably won't be the last.

message 7: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Marais | 11 comments Wow, what a brutal opening! I have just got to the point where Ellie's husband is going to town, so still a fair way to go, But I am enjoying it, although the opening was a shock! I was a little confused to start as the cover of the copy I bought has the portrait of the man with the sunglasses and then the description of the rape on the back of a wagon, made me assume it was a pickup truck and that story might be twentieth Century, maybe 1970's! But back on track now - horses are the means of transport so back in the old west. Shows how important covers are in setting expectations!

message 8: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 224 comments You're right about that incongruous cover. The book clearly takes place before sunglasses existed. The covers of other editions with a woman holding a gun makes much more sense. I noticed that Crider uses the "sunglasses" cover on the masthead of his blog, so he must have some affinity for it. Maybe somebody can ask him.

message 9: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Marais | 11 comments Edwin wrote: "You're right about that incongruous cover. The book clearly takes place before sunglasses existed. The covers of other editions with a woman holding a gun makes much more sense. I noticed that Crid..."

Edwin, I dropped him a question on this.

message 10: by Eunice (new)

Eunice Boeve | 34 comments Martin wrote: "Wow, what a brutal opening! I have just got to the point where Ellie's husband is going to town, so still a fair way to go, But I am enjoying it, although the opening was a shock! I was a little co..."
Interesting about the sun glasses. I haven't read the book, but may do so now. Speaking from experience, book covers are so important and often help or hurt sales. I have a middle grade book, since out of print, with a bad cover. I've watched kids pass over it, or if they do pick it up, they usually put it right back down again. I fought with the publisher over that cover, but could never get him/them to change it. Glad you asked him, will be interested in what he says.

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments I wonder if the publisher Brash Books has something to do with the cover design, but I just thought he probably needed to come up with something fast and just choose that picture for the cover. Even Texas Vigilante cover to modern looking.

message 12: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 224 comments Loved it and added the sequel Texas Vigilante to my to-read list. My short review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Still (new) - added it

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Man.
You guys are kind of creeping me out about the rape scene that kicks off Outrage at Blanco ...not a big fan of drawn out rape scenes.

message 14: by Bobby (last edited Feb 16, 2017 05:22PM) (new)

Bobby Underwood Still wrote: "Man.
You guys are kind of creeping me out about the rape scene that kicks off Outrage at Blanco ...not a big fan of drawn out rape scenes."

I downloaded a sample and decided to pass on this one. Not only is it drawn out, it's brutal, a second guy taking his "turn" while beating her, and complaining how her legs are too skinny. Felt and read like a scene out of a fringe noir, the kind I don't care for. I certainly felt it had no place in a "Western". You can imply it "off-screen" as it were, show the aftermath, scatter some nightmares she has throughout the book, and have it be more poignant and just as much a motivation for whatever happens later, rather than in your face to repulse you as soon as you open the cover and begin reading. I didn't need to read the rest of the book to make my decision, Crider made the decision for me. This just wasn't my kind of book, anything I wanted to read or found entertaining, and more to the point, definitely not my kind of western. Luke Short wrote some rich and mature noir tinged westerns, but he didn't go here.

message 15: by Still (new) - added it

Still (mantan) | 74 comments Thanks, Bobby.

message 16: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Marais | 11 comments I have finished Outrage at Blanco and will do a review in due course. What are the plans for next months book? I have a very long list of Westerns on my to read list!

message 17: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 224 comments Hi Martin, next month's group read will be the winner of the Public Domain Essentials poll found at the bottom of the Group Home page (unless you're using a mobile device). The Virginian: A Horseman of the Plains by Owen Wister is leading the poll with 5 days remaining.

message 18: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Marais | 11 comments Martin wrote: "Edwin wrote: "You're right about that incongruous cover. The book clearly takes place before sunglasses existed. The covers of other editions with a woman holding a gun makes much more sense. I not..."

I have had a response from Bill Crider here is the link to it; https://www.goodreads.com/questions/9.... Interesting answer.

HornFan2  (hornfan2) | 93 comments Martin wrote: "Martin wrote: "Edwin wrote: "You're right about that incongruous cover. The book clearly takes place before sunglasses existed. The covers of other editions with a woman holding a gun makes much mo..."

Interesting response from Bill, your question would be a good one to ask Lee and Joel at Brash Books. Wonder if it's because Bill's 2 books are the only Westerns they currently publish.

message 20: by Martin (new) - added it

Martin Marais | 11 comments Follow the link to see my review of Outrage at blanco .

message 21: by Edwin, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Edwin (edmandu) | 224 comments Revisiting this thread for Bill Crider week. I found an article that Bill wrote about how Outrage at Blanco and the sequel Texas Vigilante came to be. Here's a link http://www.brash-books.com/story-behi...