Classic Trash discussion

The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
This topic is about The Sign of Four
The Sign of Four > The Sign of Four: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Adelaide Blair | 1082 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please!

Cheryl | 949 comments I didn't think I'd like this book, but it's pretty entertaining. All I'd read of Sherlock Holmes before (other than The Hound of the Baskervilles) were a few short stories, which I thought were on the dry side. What I like best are the eccentric characters.

I'm on chpt. 7 now, and should be finished with it in a day or two (or perhaps sooner).

I kind of like everybody EXCEPT for Holmes. He seems pretty annoying.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 03, 2017 06:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 949 comments That was my reason for not liking the short stories I read - mainly Holmes being Holmes in them. He's cranky, but his addiction probably isn't helping matters either.

Sarah (sarahmott) | 377 comments Ha Ha I loved Holmes. But I actually liked Watson much better. Especially when I envisioned Jude Law Watson. But, seriously, this being my first Sherlock Holmes story ever, I realize how completely ridiculous the modern films are. I am very sad about those.

Cheryl | 949 comments Sarah wrote: "But, seriously, this being my first Sherlock Holmes story ever, I realize how completely ridiculous the modern films are."

Do you mean the Robert Downey, Jr. films? Yeah, I pretend those never happened. At least Basil Rathbone's portrayal of Holmes was a little closer to the stories.

I haven't seen the new ones. Basil Rathbone was a childhood favorite, and I just can't sign on to what's happening now.

Cheryl | 949 comments Sarah wrote: " But I actually liked Watson much better. Especially when I envisioned Jude Law Watson. "

I liked Watson's romance with Miss Mostan and how it resolves.