The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads 2017 > Nominations for April 2017

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (last edited Feb 21, 2017 11:03PM) (new)

Jo | 1089 comments This month we reach the 1950's. We are looking for nominations from 1950-1959 for any book we have not previously read (bookshelf is here ). We have already read most of the classics from the 1950's so I highly recommend checking before nominating. One nomination per person please.

Current nominations:
Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick
More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon
Brain Wave by Poul Anderson
The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke
Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
Invasion of the Body Snatchers by Jack Finney
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

message 2: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke and Starship Troopers by Heinlein are from the 50s.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 3970 comments Mod
I always have a tough time with the 50s since there were so many good books. A lot were gloomy classics like On the Beach, A Canticle for Leibowitz, I Am Legend, or Alas, Babylon where we destroy ourselves or at least our civilization.

Others are the complete opposite such as Starship Troopers, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Voyage of the Space Beagle, or I, Robot.

The ones I find most interesting & sometimes disturbing are those that deal with us evolving. Brain Wave, More Than Human, & Childhood's End spring to mind. Instead of picking just one of these, I'd like to toss the last 3 out there for someone to second, if anyone wants to. If one gets seconded, that's my nomination. OK, Jo?

message 4: by Leo (new)

Leo | 547 comments Well, then Childhood's End will be Jim's nomination ;-)

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Leo wrote: "Well, then Childhood's End will be Jim's nomination ;-)"

Sorry we have already read this one, if you want to pick another instead?

message 6: by Jim (new)

My apologies for listing it, Jo & Leo. I KNEW that since I was looking at the bookshelf & still managed to flub it.

message 7: by Leo (last edited Feb 02, 2017 04:51AM) (new)

Leo | 547 comments Too bad, that's the one I liked most by far. Didn't check it. As I don't know where to start looking for nominations I will ask for another one of Jim's list: Brain Wave. Because I still haven't read one book from Poul Anderson yet.

message 8: by David (last edited Feb 02, 2017 05:33AM) (new)

David Lutkins | 33 comments I'll nominate Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick from 1959.

message 9: by Donna Rae (new)

Donna Rae Jones | 99 comments Leo wrote: "Too bad, that's the one I liked most by far. Didn't check it. As I don't know where to start looking for nominations I will ask for another one of Jim's list: Brain Wave. Because I s..."

Then I'll nominate More Than Human because I think all three of Jim's suggestions were good!

message 10: by Jim (new)

Now I'm going to have to flip a coin to vote. Thanks!
:)

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Leo wrote: " As I don't know where to start looking for nominations I will ask for another one of Jim's list: Brain Wave. Because I s..."

It's not the most modern site but this one is always useful for books published in a particular decade http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF...

message 12: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Marc-André wrote: "The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke and Starship Troopers by Heinlein are from the 50s."

I forgot to put in the thread (again!) only 1 nomination per person. Saying that, I would quite like to read the City and the Stars so I will nominate that and put you down for Starship Troopers :-)

message 13: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Excellent!

message 14: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments The City and the Stars has been on my list for a long time, but my library doesn't have it, so it stays on my list.

message 15: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments I find used book stores always have many Arthur C. Clarke books. This is where I plan to shop the book.

message 16: by Joel (new)

Joel (juniquex) | 137 comments I nominate The Bodysnatchers by Jack Finney

message 17: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Joel wrote: "I nominate The Bodysnatchers by Jack Finney"

Good choice, it's slightly dated in places (at least with regards to women) but a great read and I say this as someone who is a big fan of the film.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Which film, Jo? I prefer the one with Donald Sutherland - 70's, I think. There have been several, though.

message 19: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) | 895 comments Jim wrote: "Which film, Jo? I prefer the one with Donald Sutherland - 70's, I think. There have been several, though."

My film preference is for the one from the 50s with Kevin McCarthy.

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 432 comments I like the Kevin McCarthy film version as well.

message 21: by Jim (new)

That one is my second favorite. Both end the opposite of the book, but I found the 70s version more horrifying. I also liked the actors in the 70s version better. Nimoy was trying not to be Spock, for instance. I think there were a couple more versions, but I'm not sure I made it through either. Certainly didn't with the 90s or 00 version that was done in the first person.

message 22: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 432 comments The producers of the 50s movie added extra scenes to the end to please the censors. The original ending was more bleak. (I am a big fan of Kevin McCarthy, so that is another reason I like the movie.)

message 23: by Cassia (new)

Cassia Watakabe | 8 comments I nomination is Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

message 24: by Goreti (new)

Goreti | 37 comments Even though there are already great books nominated, I nominate "The Illustrated Man".
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Cheers

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.