is230-807-2017 discussion

V.H.D.F.S

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments After the book club reading that we did today during class, I realized how in the village where Malala's mother was born, discrimination among boys and girls was very common so it was not considered an issue. Therefore when Malala's mom quit school thinking that it would not help her in the future where she would be expected to "cook, clean and bring up children", her family didn't raise an issue. Due to the gender crisis, it is evident that Malala grew up to be someone who relabeled women and their identity. Through her childhood, she was supported by her father to pursue education and express a desire to be something in life. This is what inspired her to be the person that she is today.
Likewise, through out the reading that we did today, Malala mentions about her region including the feud among the government, the Taliban and much more. Through this info, she shows how the past of her country led to what happened to her and her family. Though it is a bit challenging to keep up with all the geographic details about the government, it is essential since I believe that it is a buildup to what will happen in the following pages. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments Agree with you Harsimar and I want to add on that when we read the history of both Malala's parents we are able to place ourself in their shoes. The book expressed the lack of rationalism inequality of men and women. While the father grew up in an environment of well educated men, Malala's mother Jani, had the privilege of going to school however being the only girl in her class, she had the typical self esteem shortage of Jani and the environment that she was put in, society forced her to become the adequate stay at home housewife.
This book sheds a light on how phenomenal the division of men and women has become. Even though the face of this segregation between men and women has faded, till tis day women are looked less superior then men based o education, appearances, and overall demeanor. We live in a social system that provides little tactics to expand and stretch this perspective we have of what gender you are. Though we seem as though improvement has been established, there really is a lack of a good stable foundation Even though we have people such as Malala so targeted on fixing educational gender equality, who will fix the rest?

message 3: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments To add on to harsimar and valentina you can tell that education wasn't exactly a big thing in that environment. Malala's dad tried so hard to make his school a big community education. He only got three students and couple of teachers. Later on he couldn't even afford to keep the teachers since his dad didn't want to help him out with his rent of the school. His dad or Malala's "baba" always wanted his son to be something more.
Malala's mom "jani" went to school but didn't believe it was worth getting an education for women. They will just end up cooking and helping their children. None of the girls in this place thought that they could work like men instead of staying home and making food. Due to this Malala's mom never actually liked that malala went to school since she would just grow up to be a another women cooking and taking care of her family. This shows how they felt toward women and how sexist it might have felt to be different from men because of a gender , to be treated differently because of a gender. what do you guys think?

message 4: by Saife (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments I agree with all three of you, and am going to bring up another point. Up to the part I'm reading, it is evident how much Malala looks up to her father, and how her "baba" (her dad) is someone who she would not choose to displease.
An example in the text that magnified that Malala prefers not to displease her father is when she went through a phase of robbery. Malala at one point stole from her friends/family, and after this, she took a liking to stealing. She then continued this sinister deed, and she concealed this hobby from her father whom she looks up to. She soon was caught by her father, and after being caught once, she didn't dare steal another item, to be sure to not let down her father or give him a negative perspective on her.

message 5: by David (new)

David | 11 comments To add on, in the book " I Am Malala" we as a group discussed how the story has set upon a load of historic background from the day Malala was born to the age of her parents generation and how the government was treating humanity in the society along with the city which has changed throughout the course of time. The author does this in a way most authors wouldn't usually do which is by flashing in and out from Malala's point of view and later intervening dialogue said from different characters in the story all at once while the story goes on.
As the story continues, we are given more and more information on the setting and how the protagonist came into view. For example, in the first few pages we were set upon a prologue which gives us an idea of the story, but once we got to the third or fourth chapter it was all laid out. Furthermore the author used this technique to get the reading thinking and trying to read in between the lines. By this I mean making them ponder to how the story begin starting with the parents encounter through the vast view villages. To their secret marriage getaway and so on and so forth. I would continue and say more but I m going to save it for the next discussion when I get a better idea what the text is really trying to say and point out to me

message 6: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments After the book club reading that occurred today, we read a more serious universal issue connecting the United States and the Muslim religion and o beliefs along with organizations such like ISIS. This mostly contradicted Malala's safe haven(SWAT) by making it seem as a place where fugitives can hide and the Taliban is at your grasps. The tragic history of Osama bin Laden left us on the edge of our seats. This is the cause of suspense from Malala's point of view and her perspective rather than the average American citizen. Furthermore, we are able to convey that she believes strongly that many innocent lives were taken and sees how his action, left Malala's unsafe country at contrast with the U.S.
We also continue to see Malala's family uprooted by global terrorism due to her appreciation for girls' education, coming from a father who himself is a school owner, who championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

message 7: by David (new)

David | 11 comments In the book "I Am Malala" in the story as Valentina had said we are introduced to tragic incident in September on 2001. As Valentina has stated the controversial topic we read on Friday's reading was on Osama Bin Laden and the carried out plan in the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. As we continued on reading I noticed as we keep on getting further and further in the book we are led to most recent news. For example in the beginning of the story we informed on societies placement due to gender roles and how it affected the humans education or were to stay at home in doing house keeping jobs. Now in the story in between the pages 80-90 I noticed it discusses the aftermath of he attack with Osama Bin Laden having a hideout in the Taliban base where there was a negotiation in money which keeps the world moving and the rich to have their influential possession over others with the imminent and immense fortune of money.

Now I wonder whats going to pop up next in the story? Is it going to cover news or connection to Malala's government and society?

message 8: by Kunga (new)

Kunga Lodhen | 10 comments i agree

message 9: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments Agreeing with Valentina and David, I would like to point out that during the reading on Friday, the narrator introduces the coming of a conflict which could possibly change how Malala and others view their “safe haven” as Valentina pointed out. Through the incident of 9/11 and the Pakistan government being overthrown… I guess you could say that the doors of Swat are being open to this future which no one really predicted. Being convinced with the idea that her town was shielded from everything which was happening in other parts of the nation, Malala showed how everything turned upside down through the news of Osama bin Laden. In the upcoming pages, it is uncertain as to how the recent action will affect the society in which Malala grew up in.
Also, through the 15 or so pages that we read on Friday, we are FINALLY being introduced to more recent news and events. However, the impact of these events, I guess was more life changing on the people due to this idea that they were safe and that nothing like this would happen. Therefore, I personally am eager to know how the people of Swat and Malala herself responded to this change in their country.

message 10: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments After the reading that we did today in class, I have come to the conclusion that the society in which Malala grew up impacts the lifestyle of those living in Swat. If the society voiced that a certain action is unacceptable, then the civilians forbid themselves and others from committing to it. For instance, today the text stated how the leader spread this idea of movies, T.V, and music being a sin in the society which then got implanted in the thoughts of people. Therefore, citizens were throwing away their belongings in order to please a certain idea or a person. This lead me to understand that at this point, the freedom of individuals is limited by the society. The society controls how one dresses, looks, talks and much more. In other words, I want to read whether Malala accepts this life style or attempts to make a difference.

message 11: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments From todays book club read i could tell that Malala has always thought it was unfair but never really brought enough attention. when malala was ten she thought that talibans resembled alot to her story "twilight. They would only come out at night. There was also this mufti that would come to the school. The reason for his visits is to see how girls and boys are in the school. Now we already know that at this time they still thought men were higher than women. When the mufti came and saw that boys and girls are being seen in the front they had to stop it. Then once when Malala's father thought to fight, the next time the mufti came he took of his turban. When one takes of their turban it means humiliation against the person. Yet this didn't fix the fact that girls should get education too. Girls continued to be different than boys. They still had this future only to be a house wife who takes care of its family

i think that Malala is aware of whats happening but cant bring it to justice. what did you guys think?

message 12: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments To add on to Harsimars point of view, Malala grows up in an environment where men play the dominant roles while women are the submissive. Their culture is a constant thirst for dominance and the simple pleasure of being a man leaves you a simply life and a mandated spouse at any age wanted. Its not a easy lifestyle Malala but she perseveres and try's to gain control of her own life. However no girl can be just a girl. Malala has to hide in the shadows along with the rest of her classmates, go around the back entrance of her fathers school and be taught by men who aren't willing to comprehend to the basic education due to the fact that they are teaching girls. This miserable journey will only get worse, but do you guys think her determination will shine brighter than he ruthless blind men of society.

message 13: by Saife (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments I would like to add okn to Harsimar's topic on the environment in which Malala grew up in. In Malala's society, it is clear that lies, rebelling, and violence is unavoidable. This is due to the extreme matter of sexism. For instance, Malala's father is a man who doesn't agree with sexism, and he runs a school open to both boys and girls. A person than came along from the mujhra (sorry I know i spelled that wrong) and was completely against Malala's father's school, and wanted to shut it down. This mujhra disliked the fact that boys and girls entered school through the same gates, and that boys may get perverted thoughts, and so demanded the school to be taken down along with the support off other mujhra's, and the father's response was simply to make them enter through different gates, and all other mujhras were satisfied except the one that wanted the school to be shut down. Ironically, the daughter of this mujhras brother attended this school in secret from him, which is a clear representation of rebelling/a lie.

message 14: by David (new)

David | 11 comments I would like to agree to the conversation said early by Saife, Valentina, and Harsimar but in the book recently read today in class the author sure likes to include lots of information not specifically based on Malala but based on where she adapts to, her society and and all going on around her, but we still don't get to the part to see what she has to say about all this so this just feels to me like the narrator is just splurting out facts all based on Malala government due to their lies and secrets hidden within the Taliban and all sorts of connections the government has with them and ISI which is the intelligent service something like that to help negotiate some sort of deals between the government and the members of the Taliban

message 15: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments Regarding the reading that we did yesterday, I noticed how different the society and Swat has become through the entrance of one group. Prior to the Taliban, the region in which Malala grew up in did in fact experience difficulity however it was not as severe as it is now only because the individuals had a bit of freedom. Through the Taliban, the civilians are almost puppets who are controlled and "bended" however others want them to be. Though some may disagree with this new change, they struggle to voice their beliefs and opinions with the fear that they will be disrespected by the society. At this point, it is more crucial to save yourself instead of saving a whole.

message 16: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments I'd like to point out how Harsimar described the civilians as puppets. This word plays a bigger role due to the idea that this nation is composed of followers and leaders who follow other leaders, this is a vicious cycle that will forever continue do to the depths of peoples words and/or actions. We see this cruelty brought along by the Taliban and their idealistic society. However the citizens are fighting each other rather than uniting and fighting the Taliban. Disagreements on how the Taliban functions has left their surroundings at a standstill. What will happen to this once unified setting?

message 17: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments Through the reading that we did today during class, the text mainly focuses on the Taliban and how they impacted the civilians.

message 18: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments After the reading that we did today during class, I noticed that the txt mainly focused on the Taliban and how they impacted the people. The 20 or so pages that we read prioritised the Taliban and made them the leaders of the society. At this point, civilians are getting accustomed to the way of the Taliban and have accepted their lifestyle and perspective of certain issues such as education, women and much more. As more and more individuals start getting used to the new actions, less and less people are determined of a brighter and secure future. Therefore, I believe that that is one reason to why Swat was able to be controlled by the Taliban so easily since people gave in easily. However, Malala and her father are still looking at the positive and I wonder whether that hope will start to fade away.

message 19: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments After todays reading in class, we were able to see the destructiveness of the Taliban and their ways. Malala goes into great detail about her terrifying experiences during the Taliban's rule. The loud bombs exploding in school kitchens and school gardens, demonstrates how they think women are their property. Women have always been under appreciated along with being looked down upon just because of their gender. We still in the 21st century experience this feminist disease but the Taliban have taken their perspective and transformed their rage to target a specific gender. This discrimination is an abomination to the realism of equality

message 20: by Saife (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments I would like to add on to Valentina. The parts that we are currently reading is dedicated to the Taliban's (a terrorist group) reign in Swat. The Taliban is an extremely sexist group, and as Valentina said, "they think women are their property." The Taliban greatly disproves of females attending schools, and are taking drastic and violent means to make sure they don't. They are bombing schools, and such bombs even include "sprite bottles!'' And these are just as deadly, and took the lives of many. They even forced schools to shut down against the will of teachers and students, without an option.

message 21: by David (new)

David | 11 comments Tod ay in this book we got to feel the tense amount during the book while in the Taliban was going through some tough time and the bombing. Like said by Valentina it was a gender discrimination to the female woman who only intentions to cause no harm and follow to do what they are told

message 22: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments Through today's reading in class, one question which can be debated is whether there is hope for the people of Swat. Recently, there has been a mass destruction of property, a lethal number of deaths and many more incidents. At this time, for the civilians, there is no hope in the near future due to the fact that the Taliban are not responding and acting according to the treaty made with the government. The treaty spreaded this thought that the Taliban would leave the people alone however in the recent pages, we have noticed that slowly but surely, the Taliban are continuing to attack whether it is through the murder of a teacher or some else. After all the struggles which the civilians have experienced, they expected some kind of "timeout" from the Taliban but at this point,I thought whether that will be possible, especially since the readers are aware of the fact that eventually Malala will be shot. I think that will be the point which will change everything since so far, the Taliban have not killed child. Thus, its unpredictable whether there will be peace or not.

message 23: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments todays while we were reading i noticed that girls of Mingora had to walk or go out with there husbands, brothers or fathers. Women weren't allowed to go out without a male from their family, but some families are unfortunate where they lose their father.
What do the women do then? I realized it has to be hard with the talibans. I asked my group and Harsimar said that they won't go out. If they don't go out how do they get around with life? At this point i really thought there was no hope for Malala and women rights. As we kept reading i noticed that Malala had to move to Islambad for awhile once she heard she couldn't take her books she prayed for them. Once malala came back she saw that her books were okay. This really changed my mind saying that she could still have hope on education. We also came to a part of the book where Atal had a bunny and once the cat came to eat it. Malala said it was a "bad omen" which got my attention, i think that the bunny represents Malala and her family while the cat represents the talibans. Many of my groupmates thought it was the opposite that the cat was Malala and the bunny was the talibans, saying that maybe one day Malala will get back on them prove to them that education for girls is worth it. '

so what you guys think?

message 24: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments Going back to the topic of hopes survival, i personally think that hope is just believing in honest peace therefore over years we haven't fully succumbed to peace therefore its just therefore to let your imagination run. I mean its kinda like a safety net for all that don't know whats next. The Taliban's destruction has spread so wide that their initial supporters have multiplied along with their gun fire. Hope is the only thing left hen your constantly awake by the sound of bombs and gunfire. However can one truly stop believing in the things not at their grasp?

message 25: by Kunga (new)

Kunga Lodhen | 10 comments instead of hope we also have netflix

message 26: by David (new)

David | 11 comments In the book today in the Taliban its main leading point is to produce fear within all of the city so they will always be afraid to speak up or do anything about anyone. Also If the Taliban wanted to attack or do the menacing things it said to do if we start any time by now but they didn't so hey are not really promising their attack on the city only making everyone to stay quiet and to obey what they are told to do and nothing else but only to their rulez

message 27: by David (new)

David | 11 comments Today during the class room book club in the book " I Am Malala" the author discusses the part where we now get into the Taliban assasination attempt against Malala and how much pain and agony she's going through not only her but her parents and the country! Since she was the up stander to what they believed she conveyed her message through her marches, school competition of speeches and with protests. Now she's fighting between life and death struggling to live but is greatly wounded and has lost already so much blood .
Will she continue on can she fight this one more battle without losing? Keep on reading the following time we get into our book club books

message 28: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments During today's reading, we finally reached the point when Malala got shot by two Taliban men. This incident resulted in changing the social status of women and Swat and Malala herself. Previously we read how girls were discriminated and considered unequal to boys. For instance when Malala was born, her grandfather had not arrived to wish prosperity upon her. However when she was shot, she was being claimed as the daughter of the nation. How did one incident change an entire country's perspective on an issue? It is true that she was shot however before her, hundreds of civilians were shot and dead including women but at that time, they were not being called the daughter of a nation. However when the incident occurred with Malala, the view on this issue totally changed. This made me wonder as to much power does Malala hold within her since she can change an entire country's opinion.

message 29: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments Today in out book clubs "I am Malala" we reached the point where Malala is shot by taliban. I found this an important part of the book because if it wasn't for the taliban Malala never really realized how much she can do for girl and education. We also find that this incident plays a big part in all of the country. We all know that Malala mom wants very fond of her going to school if she was just going to be serving for her husband and taking care of her children. In other words her mom always knew something would go wrong. Malala has impacted many people like her father, her father always stood up for rights but never got the situation handled but as much as he did it was all thanks to Malala.
Do you guys think that the incident with the taliban conveys a big part?
How would things be if Malala never stood up for herself?

message 30: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments Today we learned a lot about Malala and her incident. Yet we see this other side of Malala before the shooting. Malala is not her usual self conceited person, the average Malala minus her strong determination is a typical teenager therefore involved in her looks and so on.
Along with Malala's change in attitude we see her parents alter their perspective on her devotion to women education. Both mom and dad want her to refrain from her political strategies and lay away attention off her. I mean i understand that they want to prevent the underground Taliban organization from eliminating a target, however they should not tell their daughter 2 different things. First they say stand up then they say sit down or the hurtful word "NO" that no child wants to hear. This back and forth is a depressing time due to the fact that Malala looks up to her parents and her obedient ways takes her 1 step forward and 2 steps back, always returning to the same spot.

message 31: by Saife (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments Today while reading Malala, we finally reach the part that the prologue mentioned, which was the tragic shooting of Malala. After the death of Osama bin Laden, Malala learns that she’s been nominated for an international award recognizing commitment to children’s rights. While she doesn't win, she’s nominated for further humanitarian awards in recognition of her broadcasts and diary, and wins several of them. She meets important heads of state, including the Prime Minister of Pakistan. As her reputation grows, she continues to oppose the Taliban. The Taliban threaten to kill Malala if she continues to oppose. Soon enough, Malala and those who accompanied her in a bus were shot.

message 32: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments During the final reading of "I am Malala", we read about how Malala is able to recover after a long process of medical treatments and how she progressed mentally. After she was shot she was given this label of "The Girl Who Was Shot By The Taliban" bit she didn't let that change her. She explains how she was and is the same Malala as prior to the shooting, just that her intentions of spreading the idea of girls education is stronger. She said "I don't want to be thought of as the 'girl who was shot by the Taliban' but the 'girl who fought for education". Basically after the incident happened with her, her will to spread the message of education and women's rights is much more confident since she has the support of millions. The book ends by saying that the world around her has changed but she is the same, to convey how others might move on but she will continue to stick to her motive of being equality to women whether that is through education and rights.

message 33: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments "I am Malala. My world has changed but I have not." This phrase stated by Malala basically summarizes the plot of her life all in one. After being shot by the Taliban and being marked as "The Girl Who Was Shot By The Taliban." Malala was never able to return to the #1 student who her classmates still save a seat for, in remembrance. After under going lost of facial re-construction procedures Malala still holds her practice and devotion of education and women's rights dear to her heart. Wanting to return to her devoted cause is blocked by the public and journalist out for a story. Nevertheless, societies perception of her does not change Malala's intentions. Malala wishes "to see each and every human being with a smile of happiness."

message 34: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments Today in class we finished our book "I am Malala" I love the quote "my world has changed but i have not." I find this to be a significant phrase because Malala has done so much to make education for boys and girls equal, once she did she never forgot how important it was to her. She has changed the world where girls can go to school and not worry about being harmed. Malala has stood up for girls everywhere.
i still have the question does her mom care about education for Malala?

message 35: by David (new)

David | 11 comments Recently, today which was the gran finale of " I Am Malala" today's reading focused on all of the thoughts and desperation moments all throughout the doctor at Burlington and Malala facial appearance is jaw breaking because of the horrific great detail the formal author described it as to be a terrible experience whether it's from the parents to the doctors or the protagonist itself . Since Malala can't move the left side of her face where it seems to all have slanted and fallen downward like droopy.

message 36: by Saife (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments In the part that we read today in class, there is no doubt that this is where the extent of Malala's father's love towards Malala was most strongly conveyed. For example, in the text, Malala, after being hospitalized once shot, had a huge headache, but the text had stated that her father might've had a bigger head ache though he was in full health. Also, when the father had heard that Malala's left eye was damaged, he didn't dare hesitate to offer his own eye, and he, even after offering something of this extent, regretted that his eye sight wasn't to good and that Malala would be getting such an old eye, yet her father didn't even think once about what his eye sight would look like after thee offer. Her father is severely sincere to Malala, and to insure her comfort, he would give up anything.

message 37: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments Starting a new book, I just didn't find it interesting just kinda dull. We read about a women searching for her groom on her weeding day. After going up and down town searching for a lover, she ends up at a strange location knocking on a door. I found that the author uses a lot of suspense to convey mystery and alters the tone to express firmness. I personally found it obvious what was the next strategy the author was gonna use to establish a connection between the book and reader.
However I did notice how the author shifts in and out of a persons perspective to utilize the surroundings. As the character races up and down through the town the author makes side comments coming from other people describing the main character. I found this method interesting because I have not ever read a book like that. What do you guys think?

message 38: by Valentina (new)

Valentina | 18 comments Starting a new book, I just didn't find it interesting just kinda dull. We read about a women searching for her groom on her weeding day. After going up and down town searching for a lover, she ends up at a strange location knocking on a door. I found that the author uses a lot of suspense to convey mystery and alters the tone to express firmness. I personally found it obvious what was the next strategy the author was gonna use to establish a connection between the book and reader.
However I did notice how the author shifts in and out of a persons perspective to utilize the surroundings. As the character races up and down through the town the author makes side comments coming from other people describing the main character. I found this method interesting because I have not ever read a book like that. What do you guys think?

message 39: by Valentina (new)

message 40: by Valentina (new)

message 41: by Valentina (new)

message 42: by Valentina (new)

message 43: by Valentina (new)

message 44: by Valentina (new)

message 45: by Valentina (new)

message 46: by Farin (new)

Farin | 8 comments yesterday me and my group started reading another book. "the lottery and other short stories" as harsimar said pretty dull. Its starts off with this women and how shes gonna get married. She makes sure everything is neat in her apartment. As the groom took longer than expected she goes out to search for him. she comes back to a couple if men that said he lives in that apartment. she goes to the apartment and knocks seconds later she hears voices but nobody opened the door for days
I found this important because the author manipulated us into thinking the bride might find her groom cheating on her, or maybe something bad would've happened to her. Instead she was perfectly fine she just never got married. With all these tones he used he kinda made us infer the worst but it was the total opposite

message 47: by Saife (last edited Mar 09, 2017 07:46PM) (new)

Saife Kamal | 8 comments We recently started reading a new book named "The Lottery and Other Short Stories" after finishing the book "I am Malala." So far, I disagree with my group, as I do not find the story up until now (about 20 pages) dull. The story, as Valentina said, had "a lot of suspense to convey mystery and alters the tone to express firmness."

I find that a story with suspense and a mysterious tone isn't the least bit dull. So far, a lady who was waiting for her groom was waiting for her groom, and expected him at 10:00pm. She waited for hours, and with no sign of her groom, she went to his temporary house on an empty stomach. When she reached there, the residents of the building said that he might be in apartment 3b, and when she went there, there was no sign of him. These occurrences lead me to keep reading, and not find the book dull (not yet anyways if it is) because it makes the reader curious about what and where exactly the groom is.

message 48: by David (new)

David | 11 comments Recently we started reading"The Lottery and Short Stories." The text describes short stories that took place in the past based on crazy traditions. I agree with my other group members that the selection started off dull. The plot is predictable however the endings are very ironic which is interesting.
For instance, in the first story the women goes out looking for her husband but in the ending she knocks in s door knowing someone's inside although no one isn't. She continues to do so until she finally disides to to give up and later on started to visit the house every single day and now on waiting to finally see her Prince Charming

message 49: by David (new)

David | 11 comments In the book club the lottery book has suspense but as we get to the ending of each short story we never get to find out what happened to the characters or the protagonist and was there a el resolution to the the conflict th the story which would make the book have a moral background to the story of the book

message 50: by Harsimar (new)

Harsimar Dhillon | 12 comments During Thursday's reading, we read two short stories which were similar to "The Lottery." The first story focused on the conversation of a high school senior female and an older man. Though the conversation started out light, such as the man asking the girl what her article was on, the text soon took an eerie change. The dialogue transformed into that of how there is not future for humankind and the consequences of all actions. Since the book is presented as a gothic type of book, this specific short story conveyed a disturbing and conflicting thoughts to be brought in the readers mind.
Likewise, the second short story focused on a women's journey to finding her future husband. The passage starts off by expressing the woman as a paranoid individual who is waiting for her marriage later on that day. However when her partner does not arrive, she begins to wander around the neighborhood looking for him. Though most of the story is not gothic like, the ending which is that she finds an apartment and knocks on the door knowing that someone is inside however no one opens and she continues to repeat the action for the following weeks, results in making one question. One thought which I had is why no one opens up or why does she keep on coming to the apartment. Therefore I believe that it is not the story that is creepy like but the ending which makes it gothic.

« previous 1