Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > The Aeronaut's Windlass: Finished Reading **SPOILERS!**

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Please let us know if you have finished The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher.

You may include **SPOILERS!** in this thread. Tell us what you think of the BOTM and start up some lively discussion! (As always, be courteous and respectful of the opinions of others.)

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 491 comments Mod
I have read this at least twice for different groups, so I'm going to skip a third read. But I have to say that I found the story entertaining. Jim Butcher knows how to tell a non-stop action story, and he managed to fill this one with interesting world building that includes really well-drawn cats. Seriously, he must be a felineophile to have such a nuanced understanding of cat behavior. A number of other characters have charming idiosyncrasies; I particularly like the magicians who must carry around wagons full of special items, and I like Gwen's self assurance and headstrong nature (although she's not afraid to learn new tricks). There's a lot more I'd like to learn about this world -- where did the spires come from? How did we get the steampunk trappings in this clearly magical world? so -- bring on the next volume!

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 421 comments I really like this one. It's fun.

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd | 27 comments Loved (loved!) the inclusion of cats in this book. What an interesting and unique take on such a lovely animal, I'm sure cat lovers will be enchanted in at least this one aspect of the book, how could you not?

Lots of other interesting elements in the world, would have liked to see a bit more focus on the characters, but in the end we really only got to see them in battle (which I don't find particularly interesting, but that's my personal aversion to anything battle or war/military related).

I'd liken this book to a 'steampunk with cats' version of a Patrick O'Brian novel perhaps - a great read if you enjoy that sort of book, still moderately enjoyable if not.