Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Visual Novels

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Westbrook (calwbrook88) | 21 comments Hi everyone.

Does anyone here have a visual novel that they consider to be worth their time, or are you in the process of writing one for yourself? I am currently working on an idea that I don't think has ever been done before, and I hope it really takes off.

message 2: by Cameron (new)

Cameron Smith (cameronwaynesmith) My artist has been working with me to create a bestiary for my fantasy world. At the moment it is more of a free extra than a stand alone or novel.
Without giving away too much, what have you got in mind?

message 3: by C.B., Beach Body Moderator (new)

C.B. Archer | 1090 comments Mod
Visual novels can be great little diversions, or big giant epics. I have played/read a few in my time.

Many of them seem to be harem style dating sims if I am to be honest. One person with 8 or so choices of who to date and then things happen. There are some really crazy ones out there, Hatoful Boyfriend (pigeons) and Panzermadels (tanks) come to mind.

It doesn't mean that dating is the only way to go though! I have seen some that are stories, or an adventure, or even one that had an hero that had to have a bunch of se... okay, let's not talk about that one in public... but yes, there are a lot of things you can do with the medium.

My biggest peeve with them is that it is often impossible to 'skip' stuff I've already seen, or to know what I haven't clicked yet, because it is hidden past 5 choices I forgot I made and can't get back. I really want to see one of these that has a 'tree of choices' and lets you warp back to where you have been / missed so I can find out everything!

message 4: by Briony (new)

Briony Smith | 28 comments I did one for my dissertation at Uni (did computer science so I threw in some turn-based combat and RPG elements). I handed in chapter 1 and got a first (highest grade) mainly for the original sprites and story ^^

Anyway. I wanted to carry it on but it just turned out to be too large a project doing the coding, art and writing on my own. I didn't want to leave the character though so I'm hoping to release the story as a book, just have to decide what routes I want to write.

message 5: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Westbrook (calwbrook88) | 21 comments awesome stuff. I did one for my final year project as well, except that i didn't use custom graphics because I can't draw to save my life. :)

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Quantaman (joquantaman) | 16 comments If you publish eBooks the graphics can be a bonus. You can add RGB colors which would be a hassle in a printed book. Graphic maps can add to a fantasy world, letting readers see the locations of the narrative actions. I find graphics especially helpful in military books that diagram the battlefields and positions of opposing armies.

message 7: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Kelly | 9 comments Another cool thing in the same vein are choose your own adventure books. I've played a ton for iPhone, some of which were really good.