Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Glass Teat: Essays of Opinion on the Subject of Television
This topic is about The Glass Teat
Adding New Books > Please add an edition

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments There is another edition of this book, which was published when the publisher of ISBN 051503701X changed its name from Pyramid Books to Jove/HBJ.

ISBN: None visible anywhere on the book (but I was told on another librarian thread this wouldn't be a problem)
Title: The Glass Teat
Author: Harlan Ellison
Publisher: Jove/HBJ
Year: 1977 (the Pyramid version was 1975)
Format: paperback

Although the cover is very similar, the photo I've uploaded to my profile shows a different publisher's logo in the top left, not the pointing triangle of the Pyramid version. It's at https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...

message 2: by Alex (last edited Feb 01, 2017 12:56PM) (new)

Alex | 2739 comments In progress... Done.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Could you also provide the page count please?

Your book is here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

This was an interesting one. There was actually enough information on the cover to form the Vintage ISBN: 051503701X
On the spine of the book (or the back cover) there may even be an alphanumeric sequence like this: 515A3701150

The Vintage ISBN is formed from the language code (0) + publisher code (515 - Jove --> see group-0) + product code (03701 --> see cover A3701) + check digit (X).

I have noted this as an ISBN conflict rather than ACE, since the conflict arises out of the change in publishers rather than covers.

message 4: by Pam (last edited Feb 01, 2017 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments Thanks Alex.

Sorry, just spotted the ISBN on the spine in tiny print. I'm so used to it being on the back cover or inside the title page, I never thought to look there. It is 051503701X. As you say, there is also A3701 just below the price and the publisher name/logo in top left of the front cover.

Page count is 319.

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jove_Books, Pyramid Books renamed as Jove Books for some reason. So it was a reprint by what should've been the same company and it seems they kept the ISBN. Maybe each firm should have had a different publisher code in that case?

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex | 2739 comments Oops, not a vintage ISBN then, just a normal one. Changed the record to reflect this and added page count (thank you).

A different publisher code wasn't necessary, though it would make it neater. My issue is purely semantic in categorising this as an ISBN conflict rather than an Alternate Cover.

message 6: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Baddeley | 207 comments That's fine, as you say it is an ISBN conflict as they presumably should've changed the ISBN given that it was now a 'different' publisher.