Algerian Bookworms discussion

Archives > Welcome to a New Chapter!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eva (new)

Eva | 12 comments Glad to hear that this group will hopefully become active (thx maryame).well, I want to get to know more DZ bookworms and what they are reading and just talk about books.
maybe do some fandom grp talk,
and what I mostly want is reading challenges cuz although I love reading, sometimes laziness gets the best of me ( shame :( )
last but not least GIVEAWAYS ( i mean who says no to physical books )

message 2: by Fares (new)

Fares | 19 comments I'm 100% in, I've been so lazy on reading lately, so I really need this.
What I want is a book club discussion. We agree on one book (maybe once a month) and by the end of the month we discuss what we like and what we hate about it also I'm not a writer but I hope there's a space for them if they want to share their work.
Thank you so much for doing this.

message 3: by Houssem (new)

Houssem Mallem | 10 comments Hello there, i loved your post, it's really motivating for becoming a bookworm. Well i think it's really good to start expanding this group and making it better, and as first step of the process we need at least ten active members, after that we can decide which reading contests based on members' ideas.

message 4: by Yassin (new)

Yassin Debbakh | 2 comments a book club discussion seems a good idea one book in month because month is not too long not too short, and please put in your consider those who can't visit the group Frequently like me so you don't have to eliminate the inactive member,thx

message 5: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments We need to have a book of the month thread going on. I suggest creating a poll where we could vote on what book we wish to read the following month.

We should also send a monthly email to all the members letting them know what book we are reading and where they can join the discussion.

message 6: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments A "Writer's Corner" thread would also be helpful. Writers can share the synopsis of their novel or short story or whatever and other members can provide feedback and editing services (either paid or for free depending on the experience they have in the field)

message 7: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to find English books in Algeria but we can try to figure something out.

message 8: by Ikram (last edited Feb 03, 2017 02:10AM) (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to find English books in Algeria but we can try to figure something out."

I did host a g..."

Where do you buy books from?

Yeah shipping can be tricky.

message 9: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments I would suggest YA fiction as a genre.

message 10: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to find English books in Algeria but we can try to figure so..."

That's how I get my books as well but it's really inconvenient. I have to wait a few months to get the book and it can get real heavy real fast for the person bringing the books.

Is there anything we could do to try to get English books in Algerian bookstores? I know Amazon and the book depository"technically" ship to us but the shipping cost can get pretty expensive.

message 11: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I would suggest YA fiction as a genre."

I think most would agree! But within the YA genre, what would we choose? Fantasy, Romance, Sci-Fi...etc there are so many!!!"

Why not try a different sub-genre of YA each month. That way everyone can get outside of their comfort zone and experience new things.

message 12: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to find English books in Algeri..."

You have a bookstore in Constantine that sells English books? How did I not know about this? I live in Batna so that's not really far. Maybe I can go check it out. Can you tell me where I can find it?

message 13: by Houssem (new)

Houssem Mallem | 10 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to find English books in Algeri..."
May i know where is this bookshop in Constantine? and does it have Historical fiction books?

message 14: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard to..."

COLLEEN HOOVER!

message 15: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Should we try contacting them and asking them to bring more books?

message 16: by Houssem (new)

Houssem Mallem | 10 comments Maryame wrote: "Houssem wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "I really like the idea of giveaways. That might be a little problematic since it's really hard..."
Oh i never thought Ritaj Mall would bring any new fiction books rather than classics like the old Ritaj have, i might take a look, thanks for telling us about is because otherwise i will never check their shop.

message 17: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 11 comments Maryame wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Should we try contacting them and asking them to bring more books?"

I did speak with the owner & with the employee & they both said it wouldn't help them
You see, the sold TFIOUS for ..."

Can they lower the price! That's ridiculously expensive. The paperback of TFIOS is at 6€ so 6*18 it should be around 1000 DA why must they triple the price?

WE NEED TO REVOLT! lol

message 18: by abdelatif (last edited Feb 03, 2017 08:19AM) (new)

abdelatif ouldabdallah (ouldabdallahabdelatif) | 3 comments what I can suggest is exchanging a books . my interest is literature , philosophy . science , etc.. in fact my bookshelf contain many books in different specialty that I finished to read them . whoever interest in this offer I will be in service.

message 19: by abdelatif (new)

abdelatif ouldabdallah (ouldabdallahabdelatif) | 3 comments Maryame wrote: "ولد wrote: "what I can suggest is exchanging a books . my interest is literature , philosophy . science , etc.. in fact my bookstore contain many books in different specialty that I finished to rea..."

sorry I write the wrong word it's not a bookstore it's a bookshelf and contain more than 500 books .sorry for the fault !!!

message 20: by abdelatif (new)

abdelatif ouldabdallah (ouldabdallahabdelatif) | 3 comments yes i have more than 40 title most of them are between classic novel and modern . I can exchange only the book i finished with reading them . for example / i have "last exit " yariv pokras /" heart of darkness" joseph cornad / two novels of sharlock holmes / "the chamber " great novel by grisham / "king of solomon's mins" by Rider Haggard./

message 21: by Houssem (new)

Houssem Mallem | 10 comments I personally gave up on local bookshops, i almost never found something i'm looking for and it's really waste of time, so instead of that i buy online cheaper E-books and print them as handbooks, here is one of the assassin's creed series, for me i think that's the most satisfying way i found around, i know most of publishers disallow printing their works, but who cares i'm the owner of the digital book and i can do anything with it, as long i'm not sharing it publicly.

message 22: by Houssem (new)

Houssem Mallem | 10 comments Maryame wrote: "Houssem wrote: "I personally gave up on local bookshops, i almost never found something i'm looking for and it's really waste of time, so instead of that i buy online cheaper E-books and print them..."

Alright, i will try to be optimistic about that, hoping things will get better in our city :)

message 23: by Deejay (DZ) (new)

Deejay (DZ) (deejayreads) | 12 comments I really wish they open a bookstore which sells english books in the center of alger or in tipaza or somewhere near , I can't afford to go to msila or constantine !! Plus I really like this group, I've never met algerian bookworms in real life lol , oh and perhaps do some giveaways?

message 24: by Deejay (DZ) (new)

Deejay (DZ) (deejayreads) | 12 comments Maryame wrote: "Deejay (DZ) wrote: "I really wish they open a bookstore which sells english books in the center of alger or in tipaza or somewhere near , I can't afford to go to msila or constantine !! Plus I real..."

I know that store, that's where I usually buy my books, but the only english book they have is harry potter and the cursed child, the rest is in french, but I heard that they'll bring some Colleen hoover's books , I hope they'll be in english !

message 25: by Kokoro (new)

Kokoro (kokobatsu) | 35 comments Mod
I have a suggestion (I guess). Why don't we start a reading challenge with in the group. I know some people might not like making challenges because they stress you while reading but maybe we can try it .

message 26: by Kokoro (new)

Kokoro (kokobatsu) | 35 comments Mod
Cool ;)