Fans of Amish Fiction discussion

Amish Group Reads > February 2017 -- Apple of His Eye

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (goodreadscombarbara_beers) | 1530 comments Mod
This month's selection for our group-read is Apple of His Eye (Amish Pie series, #1) by Kelly Caldwell

Summary
When Rob King, who is courting Tabitha Beiler, must go away for a time to aid his ailing grandfather, he charges his best friend, John Miller, with the care and keeping of the beautiful girl of his heart. John, who has been Rob’s best friend since boyhood, accepts the responsibility with serious intent. But John discovers that it is his own traitorous heart that must be guarded as he finds himself falling hopelessly in love with his best friend’s girl.

As time goes on, Tabitha begins to see the serious differences between Rob and John, and she discovers the meaning of infatuation versus real love. But it is only through her baking that she can speak fully of where her heart now lies.

How will Tabitha admit her love for John when doing so could mean the loss of a lifelong friendship? And how will the sweetness of a treasured pie recipe reveal a love of tender but unspoken devotion?

message 2: by Diamond (new)

Diamond Jones-Cox (mzaware28) | 105 comments I'm in to read this.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Diamond wrote: "I'm in to read this."

Awesome Diamond! Who else is in??

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (liahonagirl) I put in a request for it through Inter Library Loan, and I'm pleased to note that it's awaiting pickup at my local branch. I will be starting it soon, so I can be ready for a discussion! :)

message 5: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn V our library doesn't have it; so, I will pass until the second book comes out; for continous reading.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

How are folks doing with reading this one? I have finished -- who wants to talk??

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate (liahonagirl) I finished earlier this week. While I liked it overall, there were some things that didn't quite make sense to me, like why were Aenti Beth and Onkel Fram portrayed as so much older if their niece was only 19?
And, towards the end when John sees a new maturity in Rob's eyes? I don't quite buy that.
But, I did like the message of living by the truth. And, I will probably read the next book in the series after it is published.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Kate wrote: "I finished earlier this week. While I liked it overall, there were some things that didn't quite make sense to me, like why were Aenti Beth and Onkel Fram portrayed as so much older if their niece ..."

I thought that Beth & Fram were Tabby's great aunt & uncle. Now I need to go back & look.
With Rob & John being best friends for so long, I could see John being able to see a change in Rob. Maybe Rob always had that "let's see what I can get away with" look all the time.
I liked the truth message too -- John kept digging himself in deeper and deeper!

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate (liahonagirl) Barbara wrote: "Kate wrote: "I finished earlier this week. While I liked it overall, there were some things that didn't quite make sense to me, like why were Aenti Beth and Onkel Fram portrayed as so much older if..."

Yeah, great aunt and great uncle makes much more sense to me, age-wise.

*SPOILER ALERT!!*

As far as the change in the eyes thing, I guess what I'm thinking is that if Rob had truly changed, he wouldn't have left both Tabby and Katie hanging like that. Yes, it all turned out for the best, because Tabby eventually realised that she loved John, rather than Rob, but did Katie know that Rob had an Amish sweetheart back home? If she did, I'd like to think that she would have told Rob to end things clearly with Tabby before pursuing a relationship with her.
I don't know, perhaps that whole situation rubbed me the wrong way because it is very reminiscent of something that happened to me many years ago. (Won't go into details, but let me just say that it's rather disconcerting to call the house of the person you were dating, only to find out from his mother that he was out with his fiancee.)

message 10: by Barbara (new)

Kate wrote: "Barbara wrote: "Kate wrote: "I finished earlier this week. While I liked it overall, there were some things that didn't quite make sense to me, like why were Aenti Beth and Onkel Fram portrayed as ..."

I see where your coming from Kate. I kept hoping Rob was feeling guilty and small and didn't know how to telll his friends.

message 11: by Diamond (new)

Diamond Jones-Cox (mzaware28) | 105 comments Ladies I didn't get a chance to start this one yet. I'll read it in Feb then come back and read your comments.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Apple of His Eye (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kelly Caldwell (other topics)