75 Books...More or Less! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016-2021 Chat > Presidents' Day Readathon!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:51AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7422 comments Mod
We skipped MLK Day long weekend so we'll do Presidents' Day long weekend!

Dates are Friday, Feb 17 - Monday, Feb 20.

I already know my goal is to read *3* of my Read What You Own books!! I haven't even started that challenge yet...!

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances Macknight | 7 comments I have managed to read five of my own shelf books this month. My goal is to read as many as I can this year. I am trying for 75 books. I only read 45 for 2016.
I do belong to two book clubs so I still have to fit those in too.
I also am trying to read books from my shelf that are classics., and are on the 2001 Books to Read.
All this reading is a challenge but a pure joy.

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori | 406 comments I"m in, my goal will be to read 3 books on my shelves. So far I have only read 1 book off my bookshelf. I have been reading many books from the library.

message 4: by Karina (new)

Karina | 800 comments I am going to try and finish one book, seeing as I have to work on Friday and I have work on Presidents' Day (the joys of being an accountant!), I've made great progress on the Read What You Own challenge!

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty | 31 comments I'll read three of my shelf books this weekend.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2583 comments I'm in! I will say 3 books. I hope I can do that!

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

3 looks like the magic number! :)

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2555 comments Well since everyone else is picking three to read, I think I will go with that number as well. And I certainly can make it three off my own shelves!! I will be knee deep in my book club read, but if I finish the weekly reading for it by the 17th, I will be okay for the weekend. :-)
YAY!!! Happy reading everyone!!

message 9: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I'm in. I'm going to try to read one book (start to finish) from my shelves. I have to work Friday and Monday.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in, I will be reading 3 books.

message 11: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments I'm in! It will be a standard weekend for me since I will be working Friday and Monday, but I'll commit to reading instead of video gaming that weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to finish up one of my RWYO challenge books :)

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances Macknight | 7 comments Elyse wrote: "We skipped MLK Day long weekend so we'll do Presidents' Day long weekend!

Dates are Friday, Feb 17 - Monday, Feb 20.

I already know my goal is to read *3* of my Read What You Own books!! I haven..."

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances Macknight | 7 comments I would be overjoyed to spend that weekend reading three books off my shelves. (February. 17-20). And it will be a real challenge! I don't read that fast. And the best fun will be picking which ones!!!

message 14: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments I wanna join in!! I'm gonna go with the crowd and try for 3 as well. :D I do have to work that weekend but I'd trade sleep for reading anyday. :))

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances Macknight | 7 comments Oh, I remember when I would have made your same comment.
Good luck in staying awake! Don't despair. I expect we'll all be snoozing occasionally. Pick books that will keep you going!

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Thanks Frances! I might pass out from exhaustion, but we shall see ;))

message 17: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4070 comments Mod
I was going to pick one book, but I have a few going right now that I want to finish. I think instead I'm just going to aim for 1000 pages,

message 18: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2583 comments Andrea wrote: "I was going to pick one book, but I have a few going right now that I want to finish. I think instead I'm just going to aim for 1000 pages,"

Wow! When you put it that way...

message 19: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

I figure it would be about the same as 3 average size books ;)

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Andrea wrote: "I figure it would be about the same as 3 average size books ;)"

That's a good idea for a goal. I have a few really long books I've wanted to dive into but I haven't wanted to get behind on my goal for the year.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori | 406 comments Andrea, that is a really good goal. A nice round number, now do you also count audio books in that or would those be extra?

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Good goal, Andrea!

I have my stack of RWYO books next to my reading chair just waiting for the Readathon! :) I've already started the one on the top, hopefully I'll finish before next weekend but it's kind of dragging...!

message 23: by Karol (new)

Karol Not sure how much time I'll have . . . but I'm always "in" for a read-a-thon. I love the motivation to focus in a bit more.

The last time I was at my local library I checked out NINE books and so far I have read three. So I'll focus on getting to as much of that library stack as I can.

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Karol wrote: "Not sure how much time I'll have . . . but I'm always "in" for a read-a-thon. I love the motivation to focus in a bit more.

The last time I was at my local library I checked out NINE books and so ..."

Oh my, nine!! Wow! You go-getter you! lol. I'm glad there's a limit to the amount of books checked out and how long for the e-library or I'd be sunk. lol

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments The e-library is my best friend and my worst enemy! My poor TBR just grows and grows when I know that they are all there for the taking. Of course, I still love to walk out of the public library with a stack of books covered in those crinkly plastic covers.

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I still haven't finished the RWYO book I started last week so that will be first on my agenda tomorrow night! I'm going to put King's Cage on hold for the weekend and only focus on RWYO. Since I'm almost finished Only Time Will Tell, I think I can still read 3 complete books this weekend. I have to work tomorrow so my Readathon begins at 5! Unfortunately, I may be peppering in some TV because my DVR is pretty full... lol

message 27: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Joy wrote: "The e-library is my best friend and my worst enemy! My poor TBR just grows and grows when I know that they are all there for the taking. Of course, I still love to walk out of the public library wi..."

I thought I was the only one who loved that crinkly plastic!! I do dislike, however, that the previous reader of my current library book seemed to accompany his/her reading with a snack of Cheetos. Orange fingerprints mar most of the pages so far, Lol.

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments Hooray, a crinkly plastic-loving buddy! After some research, I ordered some covers from library store.com and have begun putting them onto my hardcover books. The extent to which this makes me happy is a little bit ridiculous.

Now, regarding Cheetos-fingers, that is horrifying!!!

message 29: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Joy wrote: "Hooray, a crinkly plastic-loving buddy! After some research, I ordered some covers from library store.com and have begun putting them onto my hardcover books. The extent to which this makes me happ..."

That is genious!! I'd have never thought to do that even though my brother works in a library and I have no excuse not to know such things.

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Misty wrote: "Joy wrote: "The e-library is my best friend and my worst enemy! My poor TBR just grows and grows when I know that they are all there for the taking. Of course, I still love to walk out of the publi..."

OMG Cheetos fingers that's awful!!

message 31: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2555 comments So are brown stains - I always just pray that it was chocolate that they were eating and it melted and now what the other alternative could be.

message 32: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

So excited for the readathon this weekend!! I have to work tomorrow but I'm hoping to get some reading done on my lunch and after work. I also have my staff reviews done the end of next week so depending on what I get done tomorrow I may have to work on those a little each day.

message 33: by Misty (new)

Misty Mount | 106 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "So are brown stains - I always just pray that it was chocolate that they were eating and it melted and now what the other alternative could be. "

Hahahaha! So true!!

message 34: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments I've got a book tucked into my work bag so I'll be able to get some reading in during my breaks tomorrow :)

message 35: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I found some short reads on my RWYO stack and may actually be able to finish three this weekend, even though I have to work tomorrow and Monday.

message 36: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "So are brown stains - I always just pray that it was chocolate that they were eating and it melted and now what the other alternative could be. "

Oh nooo, Dawn Michelle! That's worse than Cheetos!! lol

message 37: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2583 comments Elyse wrote: "I still haven't finished the RWYO book I started last week so that will be first on my agenda tomorrow night! I'm going to put King's Cage on hold for the weekend and only focus on ..."

Oh my gosh! The weekend is here already! I better get reading!

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I just got off work. Once I get home and get supper under control, it will be BOOK time!

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Got out of work a little early, put my PJ pants on, made some tea, and I'm ready to finish Only Time Will Tell! I've got a litte over an hour before I have to make supper and then once that's done, nothing but reading!

message 40: by Lori (new)

Lori | 406 comments I got off work at 7am, had a little nap and it's time to get my read on! First book is actually a library book that I'm almost finished. Death is Like A Box of Chocolates. This book is due back tomorrow.

message 41: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "So are brown stains - I always just pray that it was chocolate that they were eating and it melted and now what the other alternative could be. "

Oh nooo, Dawn Michelle! That..."

GROSS....lol Hahaha I am sure it is chocolate ;)

message 42: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Just wrapped up dinner and a long day at work.

I'm starting the weekend with a dusty copy of the Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler from my shelf. It is pages so about 1/3 of my weekend goal.

Happy Reading Everyone!!

message 43: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments I started The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald after dinner and have had multiple interruptions. I am also a bit surprised at the density of the writing. It's short, so I will settle in with it and hopefully finish with enough time for two more short reads before the weekend is over.

message 44: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments The Bookshop is finished! Time for some zzzzzz's.

message 45: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

I finished Only Time Will Tell last night and started The Wonder Trail: True Stories from Los Angeles to the End of the World. I'll hopefully finish Paris Spleen today. Nothing to do today but read!

message 46: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments I finished The Lais of Marie de France, which wasn't on my original RWYO list but which I have been carrying around for- I kid you not- about 17 years! (apparently I'm bad at sticking to lists, lol) I've started Persian Fire: The First World Empire and the Battle for the West, this is at least on my list ;)

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori | 406 comments I finished my library book last night and this morning started reading off my stacks.
First book A Quilt for Christmas by Sandra Dallas, I got this as a Christmas gift.

message 48: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments Stacie, which translation of the Lais did you read? I teach Bisclavret (The Werewolf) in my world lit. class and really need to read the entire collection. What did you think of it?

message 49: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1738 comments Joy wrote: "Stacie, which translation of the Lais did you read? I teach Bisclavret (The Werewolf) in my world lit. class and really need to read the entire collection. What did you think of it?"

I read the Penguin Classics edition (1986), translated by Glyn Burgess and Keith Busby, and I found it clunky. They included Laustic in French after the index, and even though I don't actually understand the language, even I could pick up a bit of the lyric rhythm that was completely lost in translation; I wish the translation had been maintained as poetry instead of altered to prose. The explanations for the style change make sense, but I personally would have preferred a poetic version (I'm probably one of the few people that read introductions and forewords voluntarily). The introduction and notes were actually my favorite parts- it seems that I prefer to study the historical/technical aspects of medieval French literature to actually reading it, lol! Bisclavret and Eliduc were the ones I wound up liking best.

message 50: by Joy (new)

Joy | 531 comments Stacie wrote: "Joy wrote: "Stacie, which translation of the Lais did you read? I teach Bisclavret (The Werewolf) in my world lit. class and really need to read the entire collection. What did you think of it?"

I..."

I'm almost certain that the translation in my office is in verse. I'll check on Monday (when I'll be working and not reading

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.