100+ Books in 2021 discussion

2017 Lists > Natalie S Wainwright/ 2017

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (last edited Jul 30, 2017 07:35AM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments okay, started with the three books of felix j palma's excellent Map of Time trilogy, The Map of Time Collection: Map of Time, Map of the Sky, and Map of Chaos interspersed with Run by Ann Patchett, Hamilton: The Revolution Kevin Baker's The Big Crowd and Deb Lueke's wonderful graphic novel —book 2 of Lunch Witch,Lunch Witch #2: Knee-deep in Niceness and a couple of other books...

message 2: by Natalie (last edited Jul 30, 2017 08:02AM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments Gah, I've read a whole bunch of books since I posted; I didn't have time to add these in until now. I hope they count, even though I can't remember the dates I read them. I can't even remember some of them.... maybe they'll come to me. Here's the list I do remember:
Popular Hits of the Showa Era by Ryu Murakami (very wacky and absurd)
The Power by naomi Alderman (Very good!)
The Ghost Network by Catie Disabato (Almost very good, but still good)
Children of the Lamp by PBKerr (Very enjoyable)
The Magician King by Lev Grossman (vol. 2, The Magicians Trilogy) (superb)
Witches on the Road Tonight by Sheri Holman (really, really good)
Before the Fall and
The Good Father by Noah Hawley (both extremely good)
All Seated on the Ground by Connie Willis (not her best, but fun)
Agents of Dreamland (pretty good)
The Opium Habit by Horace Day (written in the 19th century; fascinating)
The Town That Forgot How to Breathe (not so hot)
The Girl Who Saved the King of SwedenThe Town That Forgot How to Breathe ( Fun!)
Gods Without Men and
My Revolutions by Hari Kunzru (Such a good writer)
The English German Girl(very moving, very good)
The Fold by Peter Clines (3.75 stars---definitely worth reading)
A Hundred Thousand Worlds by Bob Proehl (Fantastic)
Binti by Nnedi Okorafor (she's always good)
The Lost Princess of Ozby L. Frank Baum (all great or very good)
Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Steyngart (I have to find who recommended it to me because it was extremely good and very sad and quite stressful and I want to thank them or punch them or both)
The Wingsnatchers by Sara Jean Horwitz (fun)
Diana Wynne Jones rereads but first time posting them here. (Her books are fantastic really imaginative.I think she's the super-duper forerunner of JK Rowling)
I'll add more as I remember and/or read them!

message 3: by Natalie (last edited Jul 30, 2017 07:56AM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments Adding Denise Mina's The Long Drop (she's just SUCH a good writer) and
The Apothecary by Maile Maloy, an mg/ya historical fantasy set in the the McCarthy era. Very enjoyable and a rich time period for the events of the book.

message 4: by Natalie (last edited Jul 30, 2017 07:57AM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments Sleeping Giants
by Sylvain Neuvel (this one's really good scifi)

message 5: by Natalie (last edited Jul 30, 2017 07:58AM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments and Chinese Houses: The Architectural Heritage of a Nation (non-fiction, great photos, very good discussion)

message 7: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments Okay. So I count 41 books that I've posted. I'm sure I've forgotten some.... I'll have to look around my shelves and see if anything strikes me as having been recently read. (Need new brain.)

message 8: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments A Conspiracy of Tall Men by Noah Hawley, the earliest of the three of his I've now read.

message 9: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 43. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews is an entertaining and somewhat thought-provoking young adult novel that addresses a teenagers feelings when a classmate is discovered to be fighting a losing battle with cancer. Not as relentlessly, despair-incitingly painful (or as good) as John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.

44.The Haters, also YA, also by Jesse Andrews, is GREAT. Also a coming-of-age story, this one has MUSIC and the author really knows his stuff. A few elements of fantasy appear here and there—not the fae kind, but I don't reeeeaaally see an 18-year-old girl involved with a couple of 15-/16-year-old boys in this way, music or no. It was necessary for this story, and it works.

message 10: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 45. Kathryn Stockett's book The Help was terrificially moving. It is really hard to understand how a white woman today can write such a tangibly realistic, believable novel about black (and white) women of such a different time and place, but it is simply fact that she did, that writers can do that, and that strength of empathy, sympathy, any and all -pathies, is what readers want from a truly good book, and what writers want to induce in their readers.

Even when many notes in any two lives match or harmonize with overtones of similarity,ultimately no one can ever truly know what it's like to be any other person, . My sisters' and my experiences of life are both foundationally the same and yet vastly different. If one of my sisters had been born a boy 500 years ago in Russia instead of three and a half years after me — it sounds completely ludicrous. But a story about some boy sufficiently like her — human, with family, feelings, hopes and fears — could still make me feel as strongly as I'd feel about my sister today. I would be unable to do anything about his situation, but I might use (knowingly or not) what I'd taken in when I'm next with my sister, or anybody else for that matter.

All of this is just barely about the book "The Help" at all. But it is about how I knew when I finiished reading it that I had been brought to feel such love, grief, anger, and wonder at the potential for courage and the need for it, in people who never existed, but who surely might have, and who surely might have been me.

Also I continue to be astonished at how people can in every time and plac, in real life as in fiction, despite professions of religion, morality, and rational thought, continue to be as self-deceivingly complacent about harm they cause others, the world, and themselves.

And just as we, readers, writers, and people, can be in life as good as those fictional heroes and heroines, or at least bravely a little like them, we can and should recognize ourselves in the "bad guys," too, and do something about it..

message 11: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 46. The Plucker by Brom is a fairy tale semi-retold, with beautiful and sinister illustrations. Not a children's fairy tale. A few stereotypes remain unmediated, but it is, after all, a fairy tale, and we might not even recognize it, and most likely not get such a strong sense of the mythic disruption of the fairy tale if every recognizable trope were blown apart.

message 12: by Natalie (last edited Sep 29, 2017 03:49PM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 47. Waking Gods by Sylvia Neuvel is an engaging sequel.
48. Ether, Vol. 1: Death of the Last Golden Blaze is a though-provoking graphic novel by Matt Kindt.
49. Lev Grossman's Codex written before his Magicians trilogy, isn't as good as the latter, but completely enjoyable.
50. Ronald L. Smith's middle grade The Mesmerist was good; I'll read more by him.
51. Another fantasy middle grade, by Jennifer BellThe Crooked Sixpence, was enjoyable.
52. Jade Chang's adult novel The Wangs vs. the World was GREAT. I may have to read it again very soon!
53. Chiaroscuro: Book 1, a trade paperback graphic novel about trying to make it in the world of art, by Troy Little was interesting, and accurate in its way, if a bit whiny. (but see "Doodling for Academics," my read book no. 80 or something like that!)
54. The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F.C. Yee: I LOVED THIS BOOK. Upper middle grade/younger YA, but enjoyable by ANYBODY. If you already know the story of a certain classic Chinese (anti-) hero (Xun Wukong), you will get it faster. You might know this hero by a different name, but I don't want to spoil it for you by telling you that. (If you already know him by his Chinese name, you won't care if there's a tiny bit of spoiler. You will rush right out and read this book!)

message 13: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 55. Connie Willis's DA was fun.
56. Repossessed, by EM Jenkins, is a fun, contemporary kind of The Screwtape Letters.
57. Stephen R. Donaldson's Seventh Decimate: The Great God's War Book One was disappointing; I found it formulaic and unexciting.
58. Stay with Me was remarkable. Very good, very interesting, very moving.
59. I enjoyed Shadowborn (Light & Shadow, vol. 1), by Moira Katson. It felt fresh despite its being quite derivative.
60. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman was very good.

message 14: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments 68. L egend (Legend, #1) bu Marie Lu is very good.

67.The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story , a graphic novel/manga version of the author's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing does exactly what the author sets out to do.

66. the dying detective The Dying Detective, by Leif G.W. Persson was very disappointing.

65. Yuri Herrera's Kingdom Cons

64. The Book of Joan is a very good post-apocalyptic scifi by Lidia Yuknavitch.

63 The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere #1)
Elison, Meg *

62. Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain by A. Lee Martinez was fun, as is eveything he writes.

61. Doodling for Academics: A Coloring and Activity Book by Julie Schumacher for University of Chicago Press is hilarious.

message 15: by Natalie (last edited Oct 01, 2017 05:43PM) (new)

Natalie (bartlebead) | 28 comments Now I try to figure out how my numbers reach 68 and Amazon's reach 80. Huh? Ah--must be some books I didn't remember the dates for. Now to figure them out and add them here.