Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Shout It Out! Self- Promotions > Competition - Free Author Promotion

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crystal Dawn (last edited Feb 01, 2017 11:44AM) (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a book review website, dedicated to promoting and encouraging the purchase of independently published books. For the month of February (as a trial), we're offering a competition with a promotional prize to one lucky author, where they can have a banner promoting their work, displayed FREE, from February 15th - March 15th. We all know how hard good promotion can be to find for independent authors, so although only a small prize, it could be invaluable for your work.

Winner will be drawn the 15th of February, with changes done immediately after the draw with the winner notified. This prize does not automatically include a review, however, the winner is welcome to apply through the regular channels on our main website and they will receive special consideration. Review applications are welcome by all, but won't however, be properly considered until the end of February/early March due to a full schedule.

Entry is simple and can be done at either Facebook or Twitter (or both for double entries).

For Twitter simply,
- Follow the page
- Retweet the pinned post
- And reply with a picture of your banner for everyone to see!
https://twitter.com/SharkBookBlog

For Facebook simply,
- Like our page.
- Like this post.
- Share this post (must be done in public settings).
- Reply with your banner for everyone to see!
https://www.facebook.com/SharkBookBlog

Goodluck to everyone! and I look forward to seeing your banners!
Please bump this post :)

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4571 comments Mod
Hi Chrystal,

Welcome to our thread! Julie does all the banners for both my son and me so she'll be taking care of it soon!

We love bloggers and reviewers who support indies!!

message 3: by R.L. (last edited Feb 01, 2017 10:41AM) (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
its saying the twitter and facebook accouns don't exist

message 4: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light (nnlight) I got the same messages, RL. :(

message 5: by Carole (new)

I got the broken thumb too. I got it earlier, tried ti again, got the page. I'm pretty sure I liked it. I need my younguns to do the social media stuff.

message 6: by Alex (new)

Alex Carver | 4617 comments Hi Crystal, I have followed, like, retweeted and replied. You need to delete the /lists/sta section at the end of your link so that people can get to the twitter page.

message 7: by R.L. (new)

R.L. Jackson (authorrljackson) | 856 comments Mod
Yeah thats what I did, went to @sharkbookblog and was able to do twitter! Thanks for this, really cool of you

message 8: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Hi everyone,

I've updated the links, sorry about all of the confusion. The twitter page will have the tweet pinned, but for Facebook I'll try and keep it around the top by sharing it often, but you may have to fish for it.

R.L Thank you for your kind words!

N.N Try again now? Hopefully you'll have more luck with it!

message 9: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Carole wrote: "Hi Chrystal,

Welcome to our thread! Julie does all the banners for both my son and me so she'll be taking care of it soon!

We love bloggers and reviewers who support indies!!"

Thank you Carole! :)

message 10: by N.N. (new)

N.N. Light (nnlight) Crystal Dawn wrote: "Hi everyone,

I've updated the links, sorry about all of the confusion. The twitter page will have the tweet pinned, but for Facebook I'll try and keep it around the top by sharing it often, but y..."

Thanks, Crystal! I did it and thanks so much for the opportunity.

message 11: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Thank you all for your entries :) They look great guys, they're some very creative banners in there! Keep it up!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 79 comments What a fun contest! I've Retweeted and replied. Thanks for sharing!

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Hamilton | 2560 comments Thanks very much for the chance. At least today I can say I achieved banner creation! :)

message 14: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Amy wrote: "Thanks very much for the chance. At least today I can say I achieved banner creation! :)"
Haha Amy, that made me laugh! Goodluck.
Just so everyone's aware. I'm having a third party choose the winner so there's no bias or complaints. Remember to Like/Follow the pages, and if it's a success, I'll make similar small competitions like this a monthly thing. Anything to encourage authors and create excitement! :)

message 15: by Melissa (last edited Feb 06, 2017 07:07AM) (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 31 comments Awesome idea! Thank you for supporting us. :')

ETA: Also I saw your website saying you only review Indies. Gosh so rare hearing that versus the other way around. Double thank-you!

message 16: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Melissa wrote: "Awesome idea! Thank you for supporting us. :')

ETA: Also I saw your website saying you only review Indies. Gosh so rare hearing that versus the other way around. Double thank-you!"

Thank you Melissa! I'm doing a few different things to help out the indies now. With all reviews, I offer a free proof-read sent privately, in my reviews, regardless of the star rating, I only highlight the positive instead of playing on the negative, and eventually when I've finished my editing and publishing degree, I'll offer reasonable prices on my services with perhaps a pretty hefty discount for indies, with proof. People don't cut a lot of slack, because of the slush pile and the lack of quality consistency. They think the professional published book guarantees quality, but I would argue against that. I've found dozen of hidden gems, and all I had to do was look for them. If I see one more Harry Potter "script", I may scream.

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 31 comments Harry Potter script? Do explain? :) Or does this derail the thread too much?

Also when do you finish your degree? Either way--following youuu!

message 18: by Crystal Dawn (last edited Feb 08, 2017 11:43AM) (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Melissa wrote: "Harry Potter script? Do explain? :) Or does this derail the thread too much?

Also when do you finish your degree? Either way--following youuu!"

Harry Potter Script as in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: The Original Screenplay and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Parts One and Two. I don't agree with them, simply on the basis that both of these "books" have needlessly taken the spots of two other professionally published books (that could have been new authors) at their respective release times. Even big publishing companies have a maximum quota that they will publish each year These book were automatic money makers though, so naturally, there wasn't even a second thought given when they were put forward to be produced. I could go on a rant all day with these books, that would then take the thread off course. Haha.

If I buckle down, I can have it done by the years end, to hopefully have the service set up and running within the year. Do follow us, as we will make announcements closer to my completion, with our plans. :)

Also: Less than one week till the winner is announced. The winner will be announced on the 15th of February, Eastern Australian Standard time. To have you entry count, you will need to have Followed us, Retweeted/Shared the post, and posted a reply with your banner. Goodluck all!

message 19: by Crystal Dawn (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments bump

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Abigail (melissaabigail) | 31 comments Crystal Dawn wrote: "Harry Potter Script as in [book:Fan..."

Ah I see your point. I'm a Potter fan but when I heard those books were scripts, and one of them is basically glorified fanfiction... I wasn't terribly interested in picking them up. Still haven't read them. The movie for Fantastic Beasts was alright though.

I didn't know about the quota but I guess that would apply to any famous author. They would get priority over new people, much like famous actors. Famous actors get roles for being famous even if their casting might not be the best for a role, and the movies get green lit even if it has a weak script/plot etc.

OH well. Life.

Good luck with your business too!

message 21: by Carole (last edited Feb 11, 2017 08:57AM) (new)

It's all about money. I read the first Potter book when it came out and didn't like it. Cut to many years later. My grandson was not doing well with reading- so I started reading with him at night. We average a book a month and his reading grade has tripled. Well, we started the Potter series in February and both of us were captivated. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Now when I call him, we start each session with a duel with our wands (I have Mad Eye Mooney's) to see who can stupefy the other first. I loved it and couldn't wait for Fantastic Beasts. Well, we read it, I was just plain annoyed. I don't like to leave negative reviews, but it was disappointing for both of us.
Once a person has success in the publishing world or Hollywood- producers will continue to pour money into a franchise, rather than take a risk on a new thing. In the words of a producer I spoke to - "Make it the same, but different."

message 22: by Crystal Dawn (last edited Feb 11, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

Crystal Dawn (crystal_dawn) | 55 comments Melissa wrote: "Crystal Dawn wrote: "Harry Potter Script as in [book:Fan..."

Ah I see your point. I'm a Potter fan but when I heard those books were scripts, and one of them is basically glorified fanfiction... I..."

I was very annoyed when they were announced. I haven't left them negative reviews, that would be wrong. I have, however, marked them in a personalised folder, that doesn't add to my red count, as not-to-read. I've made my views on these books known, because plain and simply, I just can't stand the money snatching behind them. With each company the quota is obviously different depending on their budgets. Basically it stands so they can allocate a set amount to printing and marketing costs, but still try and guarantee themselves good return profit. It would be the same for any business in regards to gain and loss. It would apply to famous authors as well, but obviously, someone like Patrick Rothfuss, JK Rowling or Stephen King would have precedence over a small author, regardless of what they wrote. They're just guaranteed sales.

I'll emphasise I have nothing against the movie of Fantastic Beasts, and will eventually see it. It's a movie, made to be a movie and probably a good one at that. It wasn't meant to be a book.

Carole wrote: "It's all about money. I read the first Potter book when it came out and didn't like it. Cut to many years later. My grandson was not doing well with reading- so I started reading with him at night...."

That was a very sweet tale between you and your grandson. It made me smile. Do you just do it over the phone or skype and both read at the same time? you're doing your grandson a great thing. I hope you're very proud of yourself.

Just like I said before, it probably wasn't even Rowling's intention to have it released as a book, but somebody cut her a check she couldn't refuse and here we are now with a series that just won't settle in the dust. The Cursed Child play, and I guess book, would have been a great concept ... if they had waited. It plays on Nostalgia, so if they had released it nineteen years later, people like myself who did grow up with the books and movies would have been able to feel nostalgic. The last movie came out, what, six years ago? We haven't forgotten it, before the re-hype, you could still purchase a lot of merchandise. In my own opinion, someone, somewhere, was just desperate for more money fast.

Just a reminder too Carole, If you wanted to enter the contest, the person taking care of your social media hasn't posted a banner yet. :)