Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
This topic is about Lady Midnight
Book of the Month > February 2017 BOM - Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
Hello!

The votes have been tallied and the winner is: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. This book is the first in a trilogy that is also a continuation of her Shadowhunters world. I have attached the book synopsis and I cannot wait to see what people think!

Have you read this before? If so, what did you think? Would you re-read this book? Why or why not? What is your opinion on the book, the series, or the Shadowhunter world? Let us know what you think.

Book Synopsis:

In a kingdom by the sea…

In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.

A parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.

Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder to shoulder with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of Los Angeles, where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries—the most powerful of supernatural creatures—teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries turn up murdered in the same way Emma’s parents were when she was a child, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma’s chance for revenge—and Julian’s chance to get back his brother Mark, who is being held prisoner by the faerie Courts. All Emma, Mark, and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks…and before the murderer targets them.

Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. And each clue she unravels uncovers more secrets. What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?

The darkly magical world of Shadowhunters has captured the imaginations of millions of readers across the globe. Join the adventure in Lady Midnight, the long-awaited first volume of a new trilogy from Cassandra Clare.

Emma Looking forward to this! Have read all the Infernal Devices and the first 3 of Mortal Instruments.

message 3: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emma wrote: "Looking forward to this! Have read all the Infernal Devices and the first 3 of Mortal Instruments."

I am too. I got it on Audiobook, which is like 17 hours! I read the first five books of TMI and I have the first book in ID... But that's about it. I wasn't sure how long she could ride this series, but she is going for the goal, J.K. Rowling style.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
I knew I should have voted for those book... so many good books went up for nomination. I'm glad this won though. I might pop in to my local crappy library and fingers crossed it is available!

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Oh yay, I'm already reading this one :-)

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am on the 4th of 17 discs and so far it seems good. I am getting deeper into it and I want to know what is up with Jules and I wonder if anyone from the TMI series will show up... Clary and Jace have already been mentioned.

message 7: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just found this... OOPS.. LOL! I am so out of order.... LOL! Anyone NOT following the order?

A COMPANION SERIES TO THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS

Spin-off: The Infernal Devices
Spin-off:The Last Hours
Prequel: The Mortal Instruments
Companion Book: The Shadowhunter's Codex
Companion: The Bane Chronicles

ORDER TO READ THE SHADOWHUNTERS CHRONICLES
* City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) - I read
* City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2) - I read
* City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) - I read
* Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) - TBR
* City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) - I read
* Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) - TBR
* City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) - I read
* Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) - TBR
* City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) - TBR
* The Bane Chronicles (#1-11) - WTF is this?
* Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1) - Reading
* Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy (#1-10) - WTF is this?

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Lol. There are definitely mentions of some characters from the other books in this one so far, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem to understand this one if you haven't read the other series.

For me, I read the Mortal Instruments series in order first, and then all 3 of the Infernal Devices series in order. I have not read the other books like The Bane Chronicles etc. Those give more details about other side characters like Magnus Bane, but I don't think they are necessary to read to understand the primary stories, at least I haven't found them to be.

I'm enjoying Lady Midnight so far as I have the others, but it's slow going for me, just haven't had much time to read during the week.

message 9: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey, I feel the same way. If someone comes up that I have no idea who they are I can always go to the site and see.

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) How is it going for you Norma? Anyone else reading/listening? I'm just over 3/4 through, things are getting tense. They've almost figured out (view spoiler) I finally know what the deal is with Cristina and "perfect" Diego, but still really want to know what exactly Diana's secret is, why she (view spoiler) Maybe it won't even be revealed in this book.

Having read the author's other books, I might have a guess as to how she plans to resolve the issue of the star-crossed lovers since parabatai are not allowed to marry or be in love...(view spoiler)

Cheryl La Pa (cheryllp) | 17 comments I loved Lady Midnight and it will definitely be one that I will re-read many times.
Here is my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey,

I am at the point in the story where (view spoiler). I like it, I think it is a little long and I am not concerned I will not finish in time for the next BOM book we choose. I am on disc 7 of 17. I do like it and the book defiantly makes me want to finish out the TMI series and get through the ID series.

Cheryl, I love your review and I am so happy you enjoyed the book! I love when people see a BOM, try it, and end up loving the series and/or author!

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Finished this one last night. I thought it was good overall but it's definitely long. Looking forward to the next in the series (out in May).

message 14: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lindsey wrote: "Finished this one last night. I thought it was good overall but it's definitely long. Looking forward to the next in the series (out in May)."

Lindsey, it is really long.... I am not where they are at Rooks house.... WHY IS IT ALMOST 700 PAGES!? OMG...

message 15: by Lindsey (last edited Feb 23, 2017 04:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsey (ucdlindsey) Norma wrote: "Lindsey wrote: "Finished this one last night. I thought it was good overall but it's definitely long. Looking forward to the next in the series (out in May)."

Lindsey, it is really long.... I am n..."

Lol, well if you are reading about Rook's house now I think you're almost done? Yeah I struggled with the length on this one for sure. It's not that I thought it was particularly full of filler, I think everything that happened had a place in the plot? But it's tough for me to read books so long, it took me a while.

All of her books do tend to be fairly lengthy, but this one might be the longest?

message 16: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am about 55%... It is so hard... I keep losing interest. I think I have ADHD....