Beyond Reality discussion

The Gold Falcon (The Silver Wyrm, #1; The Dragon Mage, #4)
This topic is about The Gold Falcon
SERIES—List & Discussions > Deverry--THE GOLD FALCON: Finished Reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3218 comments Mod
Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading The Gold Falcon by Katharine Kerr.

WARNING: SPOILERS LIKELY!

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

My review:
9/10

This book truly feels like the set-up for a huge climax to the series, and while there are important developments, much of the action felt like arranging pieces on the game board. This is the first book in the Deverry Cycle that takes place entirely in one time period. I thought the reincarnations of Nevyn as Neb and Brangwen/Jill as Branna were a little heavy-handed, but I suppose there was no other way to do it.

I enjoyed the book and love the interweaving of various races and cultures, the mix of battle, dweomer, romance, and religion. Arzosah continues to be one of my favorite characters ever.

message 3: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 544 comments Mod
Once again, Kathi, I have to thank you for taking us on this ride. I like these characters and I'm always anxious to see what's next for them. We can see that the loop is starting to close, but that our main characters are growing, not just repeating past lives.

Salamander's cure seemed altogether too easy. I know that time has passed, but it's just not that believable to me.

At first, I wondered if Neb would be an incarnation of Jill, and Branna an incarnation of Nevyn. Wouldn't that have been a twist! Of course, the names give it away.

Are the changelings really better off now?

Who is the mazrak?

message 4: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 544 comments Mod
And Rori! Why can't he heal?

Bring on the next book......

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Feb 09, 2017 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Salamander's cure happened off-screen and my guess is because it would have been long and tedious... didn't it take several years? Ten sticks in my head, but maybe not that long. The events in this book happened 90 years after Jill died and about 50 after the last book.

Switching Jill to be Neb and Nevyn to be Branna would have been interesting, but since the author is closing the loop, it makes sense for it to have been as similar to Brangwen and Galrion as possible.

Are the changelings better off? I'd say no, except they are now part of the cycle of death and rebirth and maybe, in the future, some will be great dweomermasters.

Why can't Rori heal? Was there some kind of poison on the weapon that injured him? Or some kind of spell?

Who is the mazrak? No clue...

Edited to add: You're welcome. I am enjoying the ride, too!