1000 Books Before You Die discussion

State of the Nation > A Passage to India

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Makeing a world of books (new)

message 2: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1014 comments Mod
I read this book a long time ago, and also watched the movie version. The book was better than the movie. I really enjoy reading books by E.M. Forster. My favourite is A Room with a View.

message 3: by Debra Digs (last edited Feb 02, 2017 09:49AM) (new)

Debra Digs G. Just picked this up from the library. Will start next week. (Need to finish up a couple of other books first). This will be a reread for me, but it has been about 25 years since I first read it.

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

That was about the last time I read it too. I hope I get a chance to read it, after I finish some other books.

message 5: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 99 comments Not sure if I will get to this during February. I have so many I need to read. This will be a re-read. Shame if I don't as remember loving E.M. Forster's books in the 1980's.

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee M | 343 comments Mod
I'm a few chapters in. I'm always fascinated, surprised, horrified by the confidence with which certain opinions are put forth when they've been "vouchsafed" by others with the same opinion.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

I have requested it from the library and it is on the way.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Forester us just wonderful to read. He has such a concise, clear way of doing dialogue which tells so much about each character. All the tea party, incidental, and personal conversations are like shiny gems.

message 9: by Debra Digs (new)

Debra Digs G. On page 223.

Enjoying the re-read of this book. (view spoiler)

I had forgotten how extreme the difference was between the British and the Indians.

message 10: by Debra Digs (new)

Debra Digs G. Finished. I had forgotten much of this story. So glad I decided to reread it. Excellent story. Well developed characters.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

That is good to hear. I am picking up my library copy tomorrow.

message 12: by Debra Digs (new)

Debra Digs G. Hope you enjoy it Rosemarie. There were so many little things I forgot. For example, how something said in casual conversation meant something completely different in the other culture.

message 13: by Renee (new)

I think that's one of the most excellent things about this novel. It really underscores how easily misunderstandings and how easy to cause unintentional hurt or embarrassment. Then, how easily compounded into more pervasive judgements.

message 14: by Debra Digs (new)

Debra Digs G. Yes Renee. I completely agree.

message 15: by Jenny, Makeing a world of books (new)

Jenny Clark | 989 comments Mod
This was deffitently an interesting book. I read it two years ago with another group. I did not get the third part at all. I mean, I got that it was showing the culture, but what did it have to do with the story? Any ideas?

message 16: by Debra Digs (last edited Feb 10, 2017 06:13PM) (new)

Debra Digs G. I think the last third of the book was because Dr. Aziz had not come to terms with what had happened. (view spoiler) I am not really sure, because I often miss the subtle part of stories.

Funny when I reread this book, I had completely forgotten the last third of it.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Hmmm. I'm about halfway through, with the trial just ending. I'm glad of the forewarning to pay attention to the last section.

message 18: by Rosemarie (new)

I have read about 100 pages so far and find that Fielding is the most sympathetic character so far, along with Mrs. Moore. But I am really impressed by the writing.

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

I am about halfway through the book now. Fielding is the only character I feel any sympathy for. The author is very good at creating the social atmosphere in the club- conform or perish(in other words, get out, we don't want you here).

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

I am just about finished the book, and I agree with other reader's comments. I completely forgot about Part 3.
The book is an interesting look at India of those times. I noticed a word that was frequently used was "muddle", which pretty well sums it up.

message 21: by Renee (new)

Just borrowed the DVDs from the library. Can't wait to see the locations!

message 22: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 257 comments I was very disappointed with this book. I enjoyed other books by Forster & really looked forward to this one. But it didn’t really work for me. Too much introduction before anything happened, the “crime” seemed unrealistic (no, I didn’t want or expect graphic detail!) & I didn’t like the characters. They seemed self-absorbed & unable to respect any point of view except their own, with the possible exception of Fielding.
Even allowing for the different attitudes at the time this was written, it seemed a sad reflection on racism. The best thing about it, in my opinion, was that it highlighted how easily misunderstandings can occur between people from different cultures.

message 23: by Rosemarie (new)

Trisha, Fielding was the only character that I could stand. The others were unlikeable indeed.
I also agree that it was unlike Forster's other novels. Maybe he was trying to put out just how unpleasant racism is by portraying the characters that way.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Passage to India (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

E.M. Forster (other topics)