FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

2017 - What female authors are you reading?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) Here's a place to discuss any all books by female authors.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I am currently reading The Big Green Tent by Lyudmila Ulitskaya and Graceling by Kristin Cashore. How about you guys?

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimstories) | 4 comments Yay for this thread. I have vowed to read only non-male authors this year. Am busy with the birthday lunch by Jean Clark. Am loving the minute detail of a short period of time covered in the book.

message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat | 145 comments I'm reading Pomfret Towers, by Angela Thirkell. Entertaining, but she's not exactly a champion of independent women. There are two women writers in this book. The first is a "serious" writer who never talks about her writing and is liked by all. The other is an unpleasant woman who writes romances about middle-aged women sleeping with younger men; this character demands recognition and reward for her work; she's despised by all.

message 5: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Kim wrote: "Yay for this thread. I have vowed to read only non-male authors this year. Am busy with the birthday lunch by Jean Clark. Am loving the minute detail of a short period of time covered in the book."

Great goal, Kim! I am vowing to read women almost exclusively this year eg I am doing the Book Riot challenge with all female authors. Let us know how your year of non-male authors goes!

I am reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which feels like just the right sort of escapism at the moment!

On audio, I have The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry which is proving to be a really interesting slice of Victorian life and has a couple of great female lead characters.

For out and about reading on my Kindle this month, I will be dipping in and out of Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) That's a great goal Kim. Looking forward to seeing what books you read.

Viv - I loved The Night Circus. Escapism is the perfect way to describe it.

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimstories) | 4 comments I just finished The Birthday Lunch - i did enjoy it and reviewed it

i have Bad Feminist and The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You on the go on my kindle - i think it is time to dip into both of them before i start my next book
when these are done I will have a look at Sisters of the Revolution. I like having things I can read a piece of and then leave. Bad Feminist has taken me ages not because i am not enjoying it but because i have to stop after each essay and process it. Similarly The Nearest Exit.

i have downloaded The Vegetarian by Han Kang and seeing as I have recently become a non-meat eater I thought the title indicated it was time to read it

message 8: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 11 comments Right now, it's Shirley Jackson and Mary Roach.

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat | 145 comments I'm reading a French novel (in translation), Three Strong Women by Marie NDiaye. Its structured as three separate novellas, but the two I've read so far have a family resemblance. Both take place partly in Senegal and partly in France. I'm finding it interesting reading.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimstories) | 4 comments I'm reading Living Dolls The return of sexism by Natasha Walter. Some interesting ideas worth thinking about contained within

message 11: by Viv (new)

Viv JM | 97 comments Kat - that book has been on my tbr for a while, I'm going to try and get to it this year as part of my women-in-translation project.

I'm reading an anthology of feminist science fiction Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology at the moment. I'm really impressed with the quality of the stories, although a lot of them feel a bit depressing, so reading alongside Human Acts might not be the best idea! I feel like I will need something with a bit of an escapist bent to read next!

message 12: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle | 2 comments Currently finishing up "Loud in the House of Myself" by Stacy Pershall. I don't often read autobiographies or memoirs so it's out of my reading comfort zone but I like the openness about mental illness and how it can manifest. Sh'es very open about her experiences