FABClub (Female Authors Book Club) discussion

Human Acts
This topic is about Human Acts
Group Reads > 2/17 Women in translation Human Acts - spoilers allowed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amanda (tnbooklover) Full book discussion spoilers allowed. What did you think? Discuss away.

message 2: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay I posed this question in the spoiler-free thread, but I think it will be easier to discuss here. In both The Prisoner and The Factory Girl stories, the same question arises - what is the responsibility of survivors to share their stories with others? And is it really possible to bear witness when the violence is so extreme? [I won't provide the full graphic details here; I am sure you know what I mean].

message 3: by Viv (new) - rated it 5 stars

Viv JM | 97 comments It's a really hard one. On the one hand, yes I think we need to hear these stories. On the other hand, is it fair to expect survivors to potentially re-live that trauma in telling the stories?

Rochelle | 2 comments I love this book. The way it's written is very unique and does a very good way to show violence and brutality in a number of ways. I found it profoundly emotional and harrowing.
As to the question of whether survivors have a kind of obligation to share their stories- I don't know if I can answer that? The book shows us just how much these "acts" effect the survivor but also the generational ripple it has for families and friends. A lot of the people live with trauma everyday, so I don't know if it's fair to say that have to share their stories even if they're really important.

message 5: by Kay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kay Viv and Rochelle, I agree - I don't think there is an answer to this question, but I like the fact that Kang posed it in the first place. It makes you look at violence from a different angle completely.